Author Topic: Books to read aloud to 11-yo boys  (Read 630 times)

Hutch

• friend
Books to read aloud to 11-yo boys
« on: June 16, 2022, 11:28:22 AM »
The title says it all.  The Director and I will be hosting our twin grandsons for a coupla weeks next month.  We have a copy of The Hatchet, but I could use a couple more recommendations.

Thanks.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Books to read aloud to 11-yo boys
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 12:01:31 PM »
Unintended Consequences

kidding.

When I was that age back in the late 20th century, My mom and I would read things like the Wrinkle in Time series, the Narnia books, In addition to Hatchet I liked Dogsong.  I lived in Alaska so Julie of the Wolves was enjoyed.

Depending on their vocabulary, Something like London might be doable.  My mom read me Call of the Wild around that time.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 12:02:51 PM »
The Redwall Series

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 12:28:45 PM »
Thinking back, I was 11 years old when I completed 6th grade. Other than snippets in the classroom by a teacher, nobody was reading books aloud to me by then, I was reading on my own, and had been for a while. As were nearly all youngsters my age.

My own reading at that time included a lot of science fiction but I was starting to develop an interest in books on hunting - things like African Game Trails (T.Roosevelt) and In Brightest Africa (Carl Akeley).
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
The Necronomicon and, well, anything by Lovecraft.

Kids love the stuff.

How about Hardy Boys? I loved those when I was that age.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 01:25:21 PM »
Assuming there is room for short stories:

Col. Jim Corbett's "Man-Eaters of Kumaon".
Chapters 1 and 2, Champawat Man-Eater and The Chowgarh Tigers may be enough. Fascinating, intense and suprisingly well balanced between the cats and their prey. But reading too much Col Jim is like reading too much bad Dickens. Be sure to provide context by including the introduction/forward/author's note.

Ruark's "Old Man and the Boy" collection has some great stories with genuine laugh out loud passages. It is much easier to read aloud in the 21st century and Ruark extols the honor and the value of tradition in hunting and fishing. A few well placed cusses, fyi

While 11 might be too young to catch all the symbolism, Hemmingway's Nick Adams stories need to be read.

And now for something completely different, in the spirit of equal time for dissenting views, Edward P Abbey, "Desert Solitaire". Eleven might have been too young when I was a kid but kids grow up so fast these days and what a great book.
7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 01:30:33 PM »
For some lighthearted and clean humor, perhaps some Patrick McManus. He has lots of "When I was a kid" short stories.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 02:13:12 PM »
“Modified stationary panic”.  I should have remembered McManus.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 02:33:43 PM »
I have, in fact, been in a canoe that was shot.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 04:06:05 PM »
You can't get much better than King Solomon's Mines by Haggard either.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »
McManus was hilarious.  He had one piece in Field and Stream or one of the old mags, about sitting on the beach where one guy started to running on the beach and by the end of the piece everyone was running in terror.  It was laugh out loud hilarious.  My dad and I would read that to each other back in the 20th century and we'd be in tears on the floor laughing.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 05:23:57 PM »
You can probably find a used collection of Jack London's short stories. Great stuff. Might want to screen them occasionally for different racial attitudes.

Maybe the Yondering stories by L'Amour, but it's been a while, and I don't recall what age they'd be appropriate for.

For longer works, I would think Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 10:02:15 PM »
At that age, the various books by Edgar Rice Burroughs would probably be appropriate - Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, some of his Venus books. The "science"  is dated, but they were entertaining for a youngster. Likewise Tom Swift. (Unlike the current TV show, Tom back then was not a black homosexual.) I also read stuff like Wells' War of the Worlds as well as paperback reprints of the old "pulp" magazines like The Shadow and Doc Savage.

If you really want to read aloud, take a gander at the various African hunting books by the late Peter Hathaway Capstick - Death in the Long Grass, Death on the Dark Continent, Death in a Lonely Land, etc. These books are divided into chapters, well suited for a single reading aloud session. Any 11 year old would probably pay close attention to someone reading a chapter with a title like The Killer Baboons of Vlackfontein.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 11:42:31 PM »
Anything by Peter Capstick.
Blog under construction

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 12:00:46 AM »
Treasure island is the classic boy's story.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 12:19:53 AM »
Thank you HankB, Perd, and Pb for excellent suggestions.  If your 11 y.o. is into math or science, I strongly recommend the Tom Swift Jr. or the Hardy Boys books.  I still have the ones I owned and read as a kid.  I also have ERB's entire Venusian, Martian, and Pellucidarian stories for the less "techie" readers.
King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard is good as is his book "She".  The movie with Ursula Andress ain't bad either !!
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2022, 06:58:16 AM »
Thanks to all who contributed here.  I think I’ve got some good leads.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2022, 12:42:23 PM »
Treasure island is the classic boy's story.

Yes!  A great idea!

The Lost World by Doyle is also superb.

The Mad Scientists' Club by Bertrand R. Brinley is another good one- it is a book of stories, so it breaks down well for reading sessions.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 01:04:29 PM »
And... How are you going to keep them on one place to read to them?
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2022, 01:54:29 PM »
. . .
The Mad Scientists' Club by Bertrand R. Brinley is another good one- it is a book of stories, so it breaks down well for reading sessions.
Now that you mention it, I remember reading that as a youngster!  The Strange Sea Monster of Strawberry Lake and The Voice in the Chimney were my two favorite stories from that collection. (Amazed that I can still remember those titles 50+ years on.) Thumbs up!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2022, 03:07:36 PM »
Two Against the North by Farley Mowat.  Sometimes also called Lost In The Barrens.

I destroyed this book as a child, I read and treasured it so much.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!