Author Topic: The flapping gums strategy.  (Read 1857 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The flapping gums strategy.
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
We know that when Joe Biden opens his mouth, he looks stupid. The administration must know this, too. Yet on the subject of guns, where the Democrats are in danger of losing entirely, he keeps talking. Is it the administration's purpose to have Joe keep talking, to weaken their bid for gun control? That way, they can claim to have tried, without losing too many Democratic gun-owner votes. Was the appointment of Joe Biden as gun czar, as I said from the beginning, a signal that the White House was going to let gun control attempts flounder?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: The flapping gums strategy.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »
I've always questioned how far the administration wants to go with this, and for the reasons you stated.

I think if we see wavering Democrats being bought off with earmarks, that would be the signal that the administration is serious.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
We know that when Joe Biden opens his mouth, he looks stupid. The administration must know this, too. Yet on the subject of guns, where the Democrats are in danger of losing entirely, he keeps talking. Is it the administration's purpose to have Joe keep talking, to weaken their bid for gun control? That way, they can claim to have tried, without losing too many Democratic gun-owner votes. Was the appointment of Joe Biden as gun czar, as I said from the beginning, a signal that the White House was going to let gun control attempts flounder?

Or maybe the world is just crazy. 

There's a phrase that keeps going through my head, the last week or so.  You'll recognize it, from Paul's epistle to the Romans.  "Claiming to be wise, they became fools."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
Half the world is below average intelligence  ;)

And average ain't very good  =(

Honestly, sometimes I wonder how we as a species ever even managed to invent the wheel and the hammer  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
We all look at Biden as a buffoon.  Because he is.  But not everyone understands this.  IIRC, Biden was added to the ticket in 2008 to add foreign policy gravitas to the ticket.  Stop laughing.  Biden, who was wrong on every issue in the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s, was considered a Democrat foreign-policy heavyweight.

What this means about half our country who voted for him does not bear contemplation.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »
We all look at Biden as a buffoon.  Because he is.  But not everyone understands this.  IIRC, Biden was added to the ticket in 2008 to add foreign policy gravitas to the ticket.  Stop laughing.  Biden, who was wrong on every issue in the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s, was considered a Democrat foreign-policy heavyweight.

What this means about half our country who voted for him does not bear contemplation.

True. That was after the junior Senator from New York, with little more than one Senate term in the way of public service, was considered the Dem. party's "experienced" candidate. And a comedian with a funny voice was elected to the Senate.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:10:28 PM »
I think Biden connects with the working man (voter).  I personally think he's an idiot, but that doesn't change the fact that I think he talks their language.  He did pass the bar exam.  I am looking forward to Biden's retirement at the end of Obama's current term.

As far as choosing Biden to be his front man on gun conrol, Obama has been successful at this in that he can dismiss any stupid stuff Biden says as being ...there goes Joe again...  Hence Obama has no accountability.  It reflects his entire political approach.

Biden does speak for the President.  Obama has always wanted more stringent gun control measures passed from day one and the Sandy Hook event was the trigger for him to push it and the fact that it is his second term. 
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »

True. That was after the junior Senator from New York, with little more than one Senate term in the way of public service, was considered the Dem. party's "experienced" candidate. And a comedian with a funny voice was elected to the Senate.

Also, there was a big deal made by the MSM about McCain's age, combined with Palin's inexperience, with her being "one step away from the presidency"...but nothing about the opposing tickets actual PRESIDENTIAL candidate having less experience in government quite literally ANY other member of congress.

Remember, he announced in February 2007, was began his termin the senate in January 2005 (two years), and his prior elected office experience was 1996-2003 (he announced for US senate race January 2003), so 7 years in state office and two in federal (I don't count time campaigning).

Also, he held no executive office of any kind, nor any executive POSITION of any kind (ie, be the guy who has to make the real decision).

And he was running against:
2008: 22 year house/senate prior military officer + state governor
2012: state governor, CEO + 14 year congressman

Got to love the one-two punch of MSM and stupid GOP candidate choices.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
If we all vote for the electable guy Romney we will be fine
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
If we all vote for the electable guy Romney we will be fine

Closer than the McCain election, and IMHO, closer than if anyone else in the race was the GOP candidate, including non-GOP candidate Ron Paul.

Given the allegations of voter fraud coming out, the actual evidence, and the historic ratio of actual to revealed fraudulent votes, its entirely possible Romney actually won.  That isn't  [tinfoil], that's seeing what happened and comparing to what I learned from John Fund's book.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 06:36:07 AM »
Biden is the kind of guy that is willing to do anything, say anything he is told, because "he's just happy to be there".
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »
He's just Biden his time while the glow from the wine makes a fool of him.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin