Author Topic: Kid sized hearing protection  (Read 590 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Kid sized hearing protection
« on: August 05, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
I figured the APS brain trust would be a good place to start my research on this.

Oldest daughter is 6 now (looks 8!)  and I want to start working with her on some basics of gun safety and handling before taking her out to the range to do the real thing.  

That being said, I'm looking for some suggestions on good ear pro for her.  Figured some of you on here might have some good suggestions.  Gonna break it out into needs/wants to see what y'all might be able to suggest.

Needs:
High NRR - at least 25, preferably in the 30 dB NRR - would rather be able to do this without doubling up plugs and muffs for comfort.
Kids sized - again, she's built like an average 8 year old, probably gonna try to take her to the range between now and the time she's 7, so maybe 9 year old size.  
Low profile - I've shot with big bulky ear muffs, and invariably I end up knocking the shell on the stock of the rifle and moving it away from my ear, which kinda defeats the purpose.  

Wants:
Electronic - It would be nice to give instruction without shouting.
kid friendly colors  - this kiddo is big on colors, so if we can find something in pink or purple, she'll be ecstatic.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Pb

• friend
Re: Kid sized hearing protection
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 04:23:55 PM »
I have been asking myself the same question.

I got some cci quiet ammunition for this purpose.

Please double up with plugs too.  You can't be too careful when it comes to noise induced hearing damage.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 04:25:04 PM »
My daughter has been wearing electronic muffs since four years old. She has never complained but I'll ask her when she gets back in town.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:11:42 PM »
Double up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 08:46:29 AM »
My kids started younger but with a suppressed .22 and subsonic ammo.  They wore regular youth hearing protection but would have been fine without it.  My oldest is 8 and last time I took her out she used her unsuppressed Mini-bolt .22LR with regular ammo and youth hearing protection and was fine.

Indoors or center fire I'd definitely double up.