Author Topic: Space X is going to try to launch people today  (Read 6968 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Space X is going to try to launch people today
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 05:36:54 PM »
Looks like a Saturn V taking a lightning strike.  Apollo 12?

Yep
They were struck twice during launch
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
Good read on the strikes

More than SCE to AUX - Apollo 12 Lightning Strike Incident
https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap12fj/a12-lightningstrike.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 09:34:51 PM »
I do find it curious that the launch and flight is planned (constricted?) to the point that there is literally no window, while watching the live stream it became pretty apparent that it's go at go time down to the second or not at all.

I wonder if this is more operational choice or if it's strictly a matter of physics and capabilities? Does the spacecraft and mission have the ability to calculate alternate burns and what not to still make a proper rendezvous if the launch happens ten minutes later (as alluded to on the stream, the weather probably would've allowed for given another ten or 15 minutes)? Or is it simply not an option within the spacecrafts abilities? I'm obviously no rocket scientist or judge, just a legitimate curiosity.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 09:39:06 PM »
I do find it curious that the launch and flight is planned (constricted?) to the point that there is literally no window, while watching the live stream it became pretty apparent that it's go at go time down to the second or not at all.

I wonder if this is more operational choice or if it's strictly a matter of physics and capabilities? Does the spacecraft and mission have the ability to calculate alternate burns and what not to still make a proper rendezvous if the launch happens ten minutes later (as alluded to on the stream, the weather probably would've allowed for given another ten or 15 minutes)? Or is it simply not an option within the spacecrafts abilities? I'm obviously no rocket scientist or judge, just a legitimate curiosity.

They talked about that during the livestream.  Basically, the rocket doesn't have the extra fuel to do it.  As the LOX heats up, it loses performance, which means more fuel is needed.  As the flight is delayed, the Space Station gets farther away, which means more fuel is needed.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 10:54:32 PM »
Seems like that's cutting it a bit closer than I'd be comfortable with.  Just enough fuel to make it there - with nothing left over? 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 11:21:06 PM »
Once they hit orbit they have a window but how wide it is we might never know. I'm sure they have enough to get back home if it goes tits up.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 12:17:41 AM »
Seems like that's cutting it a bit closer than I'd be comfortable with.  Just enough fuel to make it there - with nothing left over? 

JIT. If they need more, they'll hit up Amazon.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 06:06:28 AM »

Their default is to reenter so there's no extra danger to only have enough, but it does seem to make their window pretty narrow.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 06:21:15 AM »
Keep in mind that when used in either return to launch site or drone ship landing modes (as this launch is intended) the first stage must maintain enough fuel after separation  to land itself.  The window is smaller because they have To reserve that thrust. If they wanted to go full expendable mode then I bet they could have a wider window.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 07:10:02 AM »

What Cordex said, plus, extra fuel = extra weight = less payload.

Smarter Every Day on youtube had some info about giving up fuel/rocket weight to gain payload weight.  Interesting stuff.

I think the info is in this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fG_lnVhHw  It is long, but very interesting, even to a layman.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:24 AM »
This is also an and to end flight test. They may be testing some set of variables that lock them into this particular orbital insertion.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 01:36:32 PM »
There appear to have been a few updates to the User Interface for spacecraft:

I'm frankly amazed that SpaceX has managed to stick to such a clean futuristic industrial design aesthetic inside the Dragon capsule. I kind of assumed that after seeing the mockups, the realities of design and man-rating would force them to have more exposed pipes, levers, and various greeblies around the cabin. Not so apparently.
I promise not to duck.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 02:05:10 PM »
I'm frankly amazed that SpaceX has managed to stick to such a clean futuristic industrial design aesthetic inside the Dragon capsule. I kind of assumed that after seeing the mockups, the realities of design and man-rating would force them to have more exposed pipes, levers, and various greeblies around the cabin. Not so apparently.

Somewhere around T-35m before the scrub the guy on board pulled his feet out of the stirrups and stretched his legs followed by scratching his left shoulder with his right hand.  My he first thought was "couldn't do that in the shuttle!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 02:32:13 PM »
So in the event of manual maneuvers, does the crew fly the Crew Dragon with a joystick, or is it tapping on a touchscreen?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 02:46:07 PM »
So in the event of manual maneuvers, does the crew fly the Crew Dragon with a joystick, or is it tapping on a touchscreen?

Tappy Tap Tap.

This simulator is the actual interface:  https://iss-sim.spacex.com/  If you click on the link in the blurb before yous start the sim, there's a video of someone in a Dragon using the controls.  There does seem to be a physical button to engage the control interface.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 03:50:45 PM »
And while there are full on manual overrides, a big point is being made that it really is basically autonomous. Which makes sense I suppose considering the spacecraft has cargo only variants.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 04:09:59 PM »

Not so much a matter of fuel, as it is of orbital mechanics and safety.

Catching up to something in orbit means you have to go faster than it.  Going faster raises your orbit.  So now you're above it.  To match its elevation and its position in orbit, you'll be burning a lot of fuel.

Falcon's 2nd stage has enough fuel to deliver a cargo like Dragon all the way to a GTO orbit, way beyond LEO.  But it's a big engine and using it at even minimum thrust it can put out throws a lot of G's at those humans inside the capsule.  So the ideal solution is to use the hypergolic fuel in the Dragon for orbital maneuvering (the OMS engines on Dragon are called Dracos), and only have 2nd stage perform the orbital insertion from the point of booster MECO and final approximate orbital height/speed.  That's only a couple of minutes of burn time.

The second stage will be deorbited for this mission probably at least half full of fuel.  If the 2nd stage did perform OMS catch-up, it would also have to perform OMS de-acceleration.  That would be hours later, and keep in mind that Falcon 9 uses superchilled fuels.  These fuels get warmed in space, or cooled, depending on sun exposure.  The RP-1 can gel up on the night side, or get too warm on the sunny side.  Reliability of engine output goes down from ideal, and you're talking about trying to account for hundreds of meters per second of velocity difference between Dragon and ISS during rendezvous.  I think Dragon's full hypergolic load only provides about 400m/s delta-V.  Using that to slow down a capsule that was accelerated at the ISS by a 2nd stage is not an ideal situation.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2020, 01:49:20 PM »
Light this candle!
weather 50-50 for the 3:22 launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uexTqJGzFtE
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 03:04:08 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:08 PM »
T -:49 minutes Still GO on weather.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2020, 02:57:52 PM »
Looking good. T-23m  [popcorn]

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2020, 03:18:01 PM »
5 min.  Looking good for today.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2020, 03:28:55 PM »
WOOT!!!

I'm pretty geeked out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2020, 03:29:14 PM »
Better
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZsnKGV8TE

The NASA feed switched to NBC which sucks
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2020, 03:33:05 PM »
First stage landed
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
Orbit achieved, landing stuck, zero gee indicator positive.  Very slick.  :cool: