Author Topic: Your band sucks: System of a Down  (Read 8708 times)

Justin

• friend
Your band sucks: System of a Down
« on: September 17, 2005, 11:01:26 PM »
A warning: there are potty words, so click the link at your own discretion.

Finally, someone gives System of a Down the thrashing that they so richly deserve.

This May, System of a Down released Mezmerize, an album so misguided that even the spelling was bungled. The rock and roll press, fresh from lowering their standards to accommodate Green Days moronic record into the increasingly meaningless canon, failed to laugh at Mezmerizes clumsy political posturing.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Subby

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 11:08:47 PM »
At least Vatel had the sack to go out like a man.  SOAD at least could have overdosed out of shame.

Sub

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 04:12:22 AM »
I knew I wasn't alone in my hatred of those guys.  Of course, I hated them  because the music was absolutely horrible but now that I now they're a bunch of pinkos, I have a new reason.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

...has left the building.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 05:15:10 AM »
Good write up! SOAD is a horrible excuse for a band. Not only does the music suck. Their posturing really sucks. I think they get the inspiration for their lyrics by ripping off a 4th grade class' assignment: "If you could make a law, you would...?" or "If you were president, you would...?" Jackasses.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 05:47:34 AM »
I must really be old........
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Warbow

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 06:25:03 AM »
I, too, have thought that they have always sucked.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 06:31:19 AM »
They have replaced Korn as the band that I loathe the most.

This is truly a stunning feat, as I didn't think it was possible for a band to suck worse than Korn.

But SOAD has truly outdone Korn on all levels for musically talentless poseur shmucks.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Cyanide_357

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 09:46:02 PM »
Great article.  I can't agree more - SOAD sucks.

However, I never though Korn was really bad - not that I would say they were really talented, but their "music" is far more interesting than SOAD.

Cyanide

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 09:31:21 AM »
Limp Bizkit is my most hated band. Fred acts like a hoss on stage...I'd love to see his reaction if I punched him in the mouth!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 01:01:12 PM »
Korn is worse than SOAD.

It is generally my opinion that bands are better before they become popular.  Once bands see the $$ rolling in, they tend to make generic-sounding music in order to appeal to a wider audience and make more $$.

Anyway my point is, I saw Korn long before they became popular.  They sucked then, too.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 01:32:28 PM »
The handful of System of a Down songs I've heard rocked.  They could be singing nursury rhymes in farsi and it would still rock.  I can't understand their lyrics and don't really care what they're saying.  I must admit I just listen to the music, I don't read up about all the new bands and their political positions, nor do I try to derive any meaning or direction from their lyrics.  They do sound different and I can fully appreciate someone not personally liking the way they sound, but to nitpick and bitch about them the way this guy did is pretty weak.  I can't believe I took the time to read half of it; I can't say you didn't warn me.
For entertainment purposes only.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 02:14:29 PM »
The only two songs of theirs that 'worked' for me would be "war" and "toxicity... " but other than that, I can pretty much take 'em or leave them.  That said, Somethingawful.com is pretty good, especially considering how they seem to hold nothing in reverence, not even themselves.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Chris Rhines

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 03:59:20 PM »
Both Korn and SOAD should be tied in a huge gunnysack and thrown into a swimming pool.  Full of broken glass.

- Chris

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 05:18:21 PM »
This is why I like the old stuff, I know what I am listening to is good.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 09:44:29 AM »
From what I hear, KORN is no more since the lead vocalists got religion and cleaned up.  I sorta liked them back in the day.

SOAD?  Another knockoff IMAO.  Tool was/is good though.  I've not heard of any other band taking a recipe for cookies and turning it into a old-foogy shocking shocking song.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 10:52:19 AM »
You hafta admit, SOAD has accomplished one thing pretty well.  They've managed to become popular and wealthy musicians without actually being musicians.  That's no small feat.  (Or maybe it is, I dunno)

But who cares?  There are plenty of other good bands out there.  Linkin Park, for instance, has more than enough honest-to-God musical talent to make up for SOAD's lack.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 01:04:34 PM »
That's no small feat.  (Or maybe it is, I dunno)
Yeah, listening to the radio, I would have to say it isn't too hard.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 04:55:44 PM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
You hafta admit, SOAD has accomplished one thing pretty well.  They've managed to become popular and wealthy musicians without actually being musicians.  That's no small feat.  (Or maybe it is, I dunno)
There are plenty of wealthy untalented people in hip-hop.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 08:39:40 PM »
Bah!  Linkin Park is just about the only current band that understands melody AND rhythm AND real singing.  

A few bands understand one or maybe two of those.  Very few manage all three at the same time.  As popular music goes, things just don't get much better than that.

So what if their lyrics are angsty?

Name another band that utilizes the fundamentals of music more effectively.  I'll bet you a beer that anyone you name is either not current or not popular.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 09:25:11 AM »
Headless Thompson Gunner is dead on about Linkin Park. They are one of the most musically talented bands out there now.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 11:08:41 AM »
I'm an old fart (for reference, graduated from High School in '79).
I cut my teeth on the albums (yes, large round black vinyl) of Rush (before they were a commodity), Led Zep, Kansas, Skynyrd, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, ZZ Top, AC/DC, and so many others now considered classic rock.  Being there as it happened was a magical thing.
Spent a lot of weekends at the Merriwether-Post Pavillion, the Capitol Center (not even THERE anymore), Wolftrap, Baltimore Civic Center, RFK stadium, and others seeing those bands and many others.

SoaD bores me.  
Tool is AMAZING with lyrics, good but not great musically.
Linkin Park is talented.
Creed really impresses me, but has lost their spark of late.
P.O.D. gets BIG respect.

but, when it's all said and done...
Hendrix is a deity, and Robin Trower is his prophet.  Wink

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 01:01:07 PM »
Creed's broken up, last I heard.
Tool's good,
POD's alright,
I like LP,
can't stand Coldplay.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 04:19:14 PM »
Who?

(I did buy a Led Zeppelin compilation CD the other day, though!)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 05:10:16 PM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
Name another band that utilizes the fundamentals of music more effectively.  I'll bet you a beer that anyone you name is either not current or not popular.
Authority Zero

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2005, 01:53:09 PM »
I stopped listening to SOAD when I heard that they had Mikey Moore direct one of their videos. Threw both my CDs in the trash.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.