Author Topic: Oh great now they want to read our minds?  (Read 8673 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Oh great now they want to read our minds?
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/02/airport.security/index.html

Guess I won't be flying anywhere any time soon.  I thought the TSA was off base for making me take off my cowboy boots because I couldbe hiding a terrorist in them.  This goes way past that!

Keep your shoes and belts on -- waiting in long airport security lines to pass through metal detectors may soon be a thing of the past.

Airport security checkpoints like this one may become opportunities for screeners to study passengers' intentions.

1 of 2  Security experts say focus is shifting from analyzing the content of carry-ons to analyzing the content of passengers' intentions and emotions.

"We are seeing a needed paradigm shift when it comes to security," says Omer Laviv, CEO of ATHENA GS3, an Israeli-based security company.

"This 'brain-fingerprinting,' or technology which checks for behavioral intent, is much more developed than we think."

Nowhere is the need for cutting-edge security more acute than Israel, which faces constant security threats. For this reason, Israel has become a leader in developing security technology.

Several Israeli-based technology companies are developing detection systems that pick up signs of emotional strain -- a psychological red flag that a passenger may intend to commit an act of terror. Speedier and less intrusive than metal detectors, these systems may eventually restore some efficiency to the airplane boarding process.

One firm, WeCU (pronounced "We See You") Technologies, employs a combination of infra-red technology, remote sensors and imagers, and flashing of subliminal images, such as a photo of Osama bin Laden. Developers say the combination of these technologies can detect a person's reaction to certain stimuli by reading body temperature, heart rate and respiration -- signals a terrorist unwittingly emits before he plans to commit an attack.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Oh great now they want to read our minds?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:18:20 AM »
I bet there'll be people arguing that air travel is not a right, and by agreeing to it you implicitly agree to have your mind's contents looked through.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:34:41 AM »
Are they going to give us each two cents as we pass through ?   =D

What if I am imagining what the passenger in front of me would look like naked ??? :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »
If they're going to ban people with emotional strain from flights, that rules out people who are late for flights, people who have kids with them, and businesspeople under stress.

Plus, terrorists could just take narcotics that make them calm.

Stupid.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:10 AM »
This means they are going to be pulling everybody for deeper screening...ever been not stressed out while traveling commercial air?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Don't care

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46:15 AM »
Will wearing aluminum foil on my head counter the wicked alien's TSA's ability to read my mind?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46:55 AM »
If they're going to ban people with emotional strain from flights, that rules out people who are late for flights, people who have kids with them, and businesspeople under stress.

I dunno - I would be far less stressed if I was carrying my .357 with me.  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
Hmmm... The local FBO has a newer Mooney for rent at $150 per hour. It's looking pretty cheap these days!

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »
I dunno - I would be far less stressed if I was carrying my .357 with me.  :laugh:
Well, I might've projected my own wishes to this, but...
Keep your shoes and belts on -- waiting in long airport security lines to pass through metal detectors may soon be a thing of the past.
Could it be they are doing away with metal detectors? If so, carry all that you want, and remain in a zen-like state of calmness :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 03:26:56 PM »
"It is possible today to hijack an aircraft using only five or six able-bodied passengers who are well-trained in Kung Fu fighting," he says. "There is no technology in place in airports to detect a threat like that.

Only if they're fast as lightning.

That's a little bit frightening.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »
Yeah, they would have to act very fast these days, most people would go nuts and whoop some butt if their plane was being hijacked.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 07:33:19 PM »
I guess now terrorist will have to recruit hijackers from the ranks of poker players, politicians, lawyers, cops, and anyone else who lies regularly to make a living.  =D

Israel does the low tech already, trained screeners chat up suspect passengers to get a read on their emotions.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »
Will wearing aluminum foil on my head counter the wicked alien's TSA's ability to read my mind?

According to a study at MIT, you must be sure to put the shiny side in.  The dull side absorbs the rays and makes you invisible.  The shiny side in, diffuses the thought reading rays and directs them to ground.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 11:39:59 PM »
I didn't like flying when I had too...

I don't like the idea of it now....

Does anyone remember George Carlin's rant about Airport Security?

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:39 PM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I could live with this -- IF it meant all the other ridiculous "security" were dispensed with. And I mean all of them: no metal detectors, no bomb sniffing dogs, no swab tests, no x-ray. Just get on the plane. Then, and only then, would "seeming nervous" mean something.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 12:22:15 AM »
Hmm.  In the intelligence communities, it is well known that you can take certain drugs prior to a polygraph exam that greatly increases your chance of passing.  The polygraph measures blood pressure, sweating and respiration.   Some drugs can suppress all of these responses.  I wonder if these proposed new countermeasures could also be defeated by pharmaceutical means. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »
What if you have no moral or emotional problems with killing infidels?  What if the thought of killing infidels actually calms or pleases you?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 01:17:09 AM »
What if you have no moral or emotional problems with killing infidels?  What if the thought of killing infidels actually calms or pleases you?

Why yes!  Yes, it does!   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 01:35:39 AM »
What if you are late for a flight and hold a no-refund ticket?  The loss of $700 for no reason would add a little stress to me. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 01:52:27 AM »
And thus, airline flights become on-time, and amazingly peaceful as the passengers can nap contentedly and the flight attendants don't get groped.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

LAK

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 03:55:31 AM »
Israel does the low tech already, trained screeners chat up suspect passengers to get a read on their emotions.
The Israelis don't have any monopoly on this, and it beats me why anyone wants to run to them and "Athena GS3" for our security matters. Our intelligence people studied this stuff going back to the years of the OSS. Then and since many agencies train people accordingly, even many police departments. It's nothing new.

----------------------------

http://gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.com

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 04:06:22 AM »
LAK: Because a lot of people in your country believe Israelis are somehow inhumanly awesome at security and HT. This means absolutely anything even vaguely security and hi-tech related will sell like hot cakes if it has 'Israel' branded on it. I've seen guys make money off this simple fact.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 08:04:05 AM »
According to a study at MIT, you must be sure to put the shiny side in.  The dull side absorbs the rays and makes you invisible.  The shiny side in, diffuses the thought reading rays and directs them to ground.

Have you actually seen the study? I'll not be wearing any aluminum foil, thank you very much.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 09:02:45 AM »
The Israelis don't have any monopoly on this, and it beats me why anyone wants to run to them and "Athena GS3" for our security matters. Our intelligence people studied this stuff going back to the years of the OSS. Then and since many agencies train people accordingly, even many police departments. It's nothing new.

When's the last time an El-Al plane was hijacked?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:29 AM »
When's the last time an El-Al plane was hijacked?

2002 last attempt.

But... would you WANT to fly El-Al when you had a choice?