Author Topic: Gold plated rims and tires?  (Read 8661 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Gold plated rims and tires?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »
GS:

:O  WTF, Over?  You're playing with fire.  ??? 

Mucking about with a dually hub, leaf springs, or a heavier rear end is not going to cure what ails you. 

My Oh-*expletive deleted*it-O-Meter spiked after reading your load-out & looking back at your rig.  Put plainly, I would not drive people or critters I cared about in a rig & load-out like you described.  You are a danger to you, yours, and everybody else on the road nearby.

AZRH44 speaks truth:
You are flirting with disaster by overloading your vehicle like that.  You are one blow-out away from you, your wife, your dogs, and all your stuff scrambled over four lanes of highway after losing control and rolling that overloaded rig.  Doesn't matter how great a driver a you are, the physics is going to kick your ass, as mass at velocity is unforgiving...especially with a COM as high off the pavement as I suspect yours is.  No amount of fiddle-f****** at the margins is going to change that.

Lemme put it to you this way: I refuse to get a boat no matter how much my wife whines and cajoles because my tow vehicle is marginal.  I am not going to move family in a rig (tow veh, trailer, load) that is marginal, no matter how much crap I get from my wife.

I have driven marginal & overloaded rigs for work.  I was very, very careful and managed to make it happen.  But, I was only risking myself, my employer, and my co-workers.  My wife, kids, and dogs were in the future.

I see three options:
1. Reduce your load-out dramatically, RFN, starting with those overhead bins.
2. Hitch a utility trailer and carry the bulk of your load in the trailer.  (Electric or inertial trailer brakes?  Yes, please, cause the vehicle is already marginal.)
3. More vehicle in your rig, however you put your rig together.

And, for the love of God, take care and give your rig the hairy eyeball every time you stop.

Heck, those three options could be a glide path to your objective.

Money is tight most places and I assume it is with you.  There are options out there that can do what you want to do at many different price points.  I think Tallpine is on the right track: you have fixed it up a bit and it might be time to sell.

For instance, a 1980s vintage GM 3/4-ton HD pickup in good repair with the old 6.2L diesel will haul a 5th-wheel horse trailer heavily loaded with gear, tack, and 7 horses.  It won't do it as fast as a spanking new GM/Ford/Dodge PU with their monster diesel engines, but you will get to your destination safely and such a rig will handle a blow-out or most other mechanical failure without catastrophic results.  Same thing, if the PU as a 454cid gas V-8, you just use twice as much fuel and get to rebuild it every 100K miles.

You can safely get away with less vehicle if you tow your load in a 5th-wheel/gooseneck trailer than if you must have it all loaded on your vehicle's chassis.  Tallpine's suggestion of a 2-ton/HD commercial chassis is what you are going to need to haul all that load on the chassis.  Hauling the load on-chassis is also going too require more $$$ than towing the load.

Good luck and stay safe, GS.  Sorry about my blunt presentation, but I am sure sugar-coating it would not be a kindness.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »
I see three options:
1. Reduce your load-out dramatically, RFN, starting with those overhead bins.
2. Hitch a utility trailer and carry the bulk of your load in the trailer.  (Electric or inertial trailer brakes?  Yes, please, cause the vehicle is already marginal.)
3. More vehicle in your rig, however you put your rig together.

This is full of epic-win.

Trailer hitch + offload 500 pounds of gear to said trailer + additional braking capacity = much safer.

The trailer will still end up adding tongue weight to the rear of your rig, but at least that's only a fraction of the weight it represents in its current packaging inside the rig.  And electric brakes may not be the greatest thing under the sun, but at least they help to control the inertia of that trailer.

Keep the vehicle light, w/ clothing and food for perhaps 3 days to a week inside.  Stow the rest in the trailer.  That's your SHTF/prepper/packrat limit:  if you can't fit it in the trailer, then it can't come.  It ain't home, it's home on wheels.

And don't go getting some mammoth trailer to appease Lady Shooter.  Just a small little thing, enclosed, with a padlock hasp.  Low to the ground, with leaf spring suspension and electric brakes.

In theory, I could live completely out of the back of my pickup truck (w/ camper shell), for 3 months, with 3-4 large rubbermaid totes in the back containing camp stove and fuel, food, clothing and a small handful of gear.  You should only need a trailer large enough for perhaps six of those totes.  That's half a truck bed.  1 tote full of dog food, 2 for her clothes she feels she needs (or similar sized packaging as she requires), 2 for human chow and 1 for emergency gear.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
I thought about the cargo trailer option too, but didn't suggest it because I thought they didn't want to have to muck with towing something.  It's a pain to back up a small trailer behind a large vehicle. :(

OTOH, they already have the trailer=)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »
IMHO, Stiffer springs, new shocks, and a dually rear end would make a huge difference not only in controlling the load, but in general stability.  And if he decided to move some of the stuff back to a utility trailer, the dually would make towing much more stable. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 10:25:26 PM »
I have tried to anticipate the variable options as they arise to be problems.  I remember when I could pack and move in 3 hours, then it became 3 days, then 3 weeks.  I think now, with the accumulated crap in the cabin, in the three 10 x 10 out buildings, out on the property, in my work trailer, flat bed 5 1/2 by 8 trailer, 4 x 6 high side trailer, quad and 4 x 4 trailer, we are looking at 3 months......minimum.   Not how I want it, but somehow it has happened.

I am pressing for us to get down to what we actually use, not what we have been storing for years and have forgotten about until we open the box and are surprised.  It has gotten out of hand, and the motor home is the culmination of it all.  We started out to provide a traveling home to our menagerie and ended up with a traveling circus.

Maybe I can get some kind gentleman in Montana to guide me through the swap out process, assuming the old girl makes it that far. =D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 10:42:52 PM »

Maybe I can get some kind gentleman in Montana to guide me through the swap out process, assuming the old girl makes it that far. =D

Every time I threaten to trade my wife in for a younger model, she gets a little tweaked...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53:07 PM »
Every time I threaten to trade my wife in for a younger model, she gets a little tweaked...

Not quite what I meant.  The old girl in question is the motor home.  I have tried trading in the old wife for a new one, but the training process is too tiring at this point in my life. :lol:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 12:08:46 PM »
Wife swapping, huh  ???   I'll have to think about that one  =|   =D

Actually, I've never swapped out a rear axle before, but no doubt I could do (could have done) it if I had to.  With my aching back and knees, I'm pretty averse to crawling around under stuff anymore  =(

I dunno how the frame mounts and springs on a van type chassis compare to pickups, but GM is/was pretty good about standardizing parts.  I bet a 1-ton pickup rear end could be made to work.  (I'm actually trying to figure out if I know where there is one sitting around for parts ...  =| )

Anyway, I'd still get an actual weight before doing anything.  It might be that you could improve a lot with some overload type (air?) springs, and bigger tires and/or wheels.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »
Wife swapping, huh  ???   I'll have to think about that one  =|   =D

Actually, I've never swapped out a rear axle before, but no doubt I could do (could have done) it if I had to.  With my aching back and knees, I'm pretty averse to crawling around under stuff anymore  =(

I dunno how the frame mounts and springs on a van type chassis compare to pickups, but GM is/was pretty good about standardizing parts.  I bet a 1-ton pickup rear end could be made to work.  (I'm actually trying to figure out if I know where there is one sitting around for parts ...  =| )

Anyway, I'd still get an actual weight before doing anything.  It might be that you could improve a lot with some overload type (air?) springs, and bigger tires and/or wheels.

I am with you on that issue.  I am trying to both convince Lady Shooter of the need to cut back on what we carry and the reality that I am not interested in being under a motor home trying to change out parts.  We are down in the Valley helping out my buddy for a couple more weeks and when we get home I will check with my mechanic.  He had mentioned swapping out for a dually rear end before we came down here but at the moment I was not really paying attention.

We picked up a used one so that we would know if we even liked the concept before spending big bucks on something newer.  We seem to agree we like the idea, now we need to agree on the plan.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »
The weight issue is because Lady Shooter expects to carry enough for 3 months even if we are going where there are plenty of stores. 

I think the simplest solution would be to compromise on this. 

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »
I think the simplest solution would be to compromise on this. 

Is it fair to think you haven't been married in the past?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 09:41:17 PM »
GS: if you decide to wrench on it I know an amazing mechanic living in Yuma who'd do it in trade for guns (or for less cash than you'd pay elsewhere). A really good friend of mine, let me know if you'd like me to contact him for you.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »
Is it fair to think you haven't been married in the past?

thanks i laughed real loud and my wife peaked to "see whats so funny"  shes a lil peeved , but heck married to me she stays that way
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »

thanks i laughed real loud and my wife peaked to "see whats so funny"  shes a lil peeved , but heck married to me she stays that way

You are welcome.  Having had more than one of them thar critters, I can safely say compromise is a rarity.  It's more like "because I'm the wife!"

However I must add, Lady Shooter is by far the best of the bunch.  In fact, she is the one I should have waited for.  It would have been a lot cheaper that way. =D

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 10:44:02 PM »
strangly enough i just got a link to the wife that escaped's facebook page. i need to apologise to her someday
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:56 AM »
Well, you did make it to Texas and back with your load out, right ...?

And survived  =)

One other question: is that a full-floating rear axle?

(IOW, if you pull off the hubcap do you see a big round thing with a bunch of bolt heads on the end sticking out of the hole in the middle of the wheel?)

If not - be afraid, very afraid  :O

(that means you have a light duty 3/4 ton axle, or really just a glorified half ton axle :( )

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
Here are pictures of the rear axle taken from the passenger side.  I can take more if needed.  Let me know what you see.  I see a bunch of metal which looks like the axle on a van, truck........

Lady Shooter and I have already agreed to reduce the load.  I have been considering towing a trailer anyway, so as not to have all the stuff underfoot.  My biggest concerns are the backward slant and the side to side sway when changing surfaces.

I do appreciate all the input from you folks.  The last thing I want is to making headlines for spilling my whole family all over a road somewhere.  Pets like ours are hard to come by.  It has taken years to get them as spoiled as they are. :lol:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:58:49 PM by Grandpa Shooter »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »
OMG!   :O

You need to put a real truck axle under that thing!

At least a real 3/4 ton axle, instead of a half-ton axle (which is really just a car axle) with an 8 bolt drum :mad:

Take a look at the GVWR plate somewhere on the sill of the driver's cab door - I bet it's not much over 6500 lb ...  ;/  Winniebagel ought to tarred and feathered for ever building that thing.  :mad:

First thing I would do is crawl under there (oh, my back!) and get a center to center (and side to side) distance on the spring mounting bolts/pins - the ones that go through the rolled eyes on the ends of the springs.  And then call a good salvage yard, I guess.  If you're in luck, then the spring length is the same as on 3/4 and 1-ton pickups and you (well, you and some friends and/or hired hands) can swap out to at least a real 1-ton single wheel axle.  Duals would be better, but I dunno how much you would have to have to cut out the wheel wells to make them fit...  =|

And while you're at it, get 5 (or 7, as the case may be) 16" 8-hole GM rims, for which you can get 10 ply tires in Waterhole, MT - instead of having to order 16.5" tires at twice the price from GoddessKnowsWhere  =( 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »
Be careful: moving your rig, getting under it, and playing with springs. 

Praying for y'all out here.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
there a high school with a vo tech section nearby?  or just a votech school? i've gotten help there in the past and this kinda thing is right up their alley