Author Topic: A winter like last year? Two years like the 70s?  (Read 8718 times)

Desertdog

• friends
A winter like last year? Two years like the 70s?
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
More trouble for the GW crowd.  Maybe in a year or two they will start saying we need to do something to stop the Global Cooling, like they did in the 70s.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/1213/Snow-storm-snarls-Midwest-Is-US-facing-another-extreme-winter

I'll take Global Warming any day to Global Cooling.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: A winter like last year? Two years like the 70s?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
What's the problem? I mean, aside from the famine, starvation, and mass extinctions, another ice age would be AWESOME!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
famine, starvation, and mass extinctions

And what's the downside  ??? 

>:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:09:52 PM »
And what's the downside  ??? 

>:D

Your beloved Montana might be under a mile of ice.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »

Then I probably won't be here to worry about it
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »

And the difference would be what? ;)

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »
they will start saying we need to do something to stop the Global Cooling, like they did in the 70s.

Repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:32:15 PM »
Repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.

It's indeed time the Warmists realized that.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 08:42:41 PM »
There are a few places to poke at 'warmists', but 'deniers' don't help themselves by going over the same old talking points.

Quite enjoyed this earlier, good dig at both sides - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-F8EO3qOVk&feature=player_embedded
 - significantly stronger perhaps at the 'warmists' expense.

Facile comparison by the way, if you're comparing a body of scientific evidence (which you may happen to disagree with) and a statement that implies that anything more than a few, largely fluff, pieces appeared in the 70s predicting another ice age. There were after all papers appearing in the 70s making predictions of the degree of warming that would result from rising CO2 levels.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:00:41 PM by Iain »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »
Its just so much fun ( poking fun at warmism ) the folks I've met are just completely clueless about the debate itself. Most have no idea what "AGW" means for instance. They also cant tell me how did the last ice age end
 ( they also do not know there has been more than one ) or how long ago it was. Also for a half cracked discussion on global warming they need to know the difference between hemispheres and at least the names of the continents. Its not like they're a lot of them hence you can get away with out knowing all of them.

The warmist folks I met in SF and in general have not the slightest clue of basic elementary school science, so easy to make fun of I cant help myself 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
GS - you don't want to see the level of debate I've experienced on another forum. There are plenty of 'warmists' who don't know one end of the Keeling Curve from another, there are plenty of 'deniers' who won't grasp the difference between weather and climate.

I may be biased, but the most wilful ignorance I have seen has come from 'deniers'. Repeated demonstrably inaccurate claims, such as the one made in this thread coming from the same people over and over again. You'd only need to look at the posting history of Matt Drudge's environmental correspondent to see the same conflation of weather and climate, over and over again, repeated threads talking about a bit of cold weather somewhere and linking it to global warming.

Try this for example:

In the LA area they had the hotest record since they have kept temp records, 113 degrees F, and then they went to 15 to 25 degrees below normal.  So which was it,  record heat or record cold?  How about both, one after the other.  Which prevailed, record cold or record heat?  The 113 degrees was maybe 5 degrees above normal, but the cold was 15 to 25 degrees below normal, which to me it was a cooling trend.

Attempting (badly) to pull trends out of a couple of recent records for one specific area. At least when 'warmists' go on about records they generally talk about years and global averages, which by the way apparently presently have 2010 as beating 1998, which may put a stop to that particular talking point.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:18:18 PM by Iain »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »
"Deniers".  <snork>...that term sure settles the argument for me.   ;/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »
Iain. Everybody conflates weather and climate.

Remember this?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 10:44:41 PM »
Meh, I don't take the warmers seriously as scientists anymore.  Heck, by their own admission, they don't even have the raw collected data anymore.

Let them come to my world of modeling & simulation, with my level of rigor where 10-15 thousand hourly weather reports from several weather stations over 50-100Km along one river valley (just for the months of June-August) is considered a good start

Much preferred is several years' worth of weather reports at 15 minute intervals.  That's the point where one can model the atmo and use it as quality input for other physics-based engineering-level models and expect the outcome of the models to match reality close enough to have some confidence.

The quantity and quality of data those jokers were using rendered their modeling worthless, even assuming their model closely matched reality.

Back when I just jockeyed heavy-duty stochastic models, I thought the warmer modelers were sloppy and unethical.  Heck, I had to show my homework: inputs, assumptions, limitations...it was all there for the consumers of the data to throw rocks at.  Not to mention that the models I used had to be V&A'd by a third party (Verification, Validation, & Accreditation)  Here's a taste of that https://nmso.navy.mil/VerificationValidationAccreditation/tabid/58/Default.aspx)*.  Examining the source code is just one of the first in a series of steps in that process.

After having done some atmo modeling, I held them in utter contempt. 

Now, seeing their homework in the leaked Climategate documents, I can not find the words to plumb the depth of my disdain for them.  The "scientists" who were involved are lower than the dog *expletive deleted*it I scrape off the bottom of my shoe.  Horsefly maggots have more value.  Dime whores have more integrity.

* Quick & dirty definitions:
The formal definitions of VV&A are:
(1) Verification is the process of determining that a model or simulation implementation accurately represents the developer’s conceptual description and specifications.
(2) Validation is the process of determining the degree to which the model or simulation is an accurate representation of the real world from the perspective of the intended uses.
(3)Accreditation is an official determination that a model or simulation is acceptable to use for a specific purpose.
(from http://www.uscg.mil/directives/ci/5000-5999/CI_5200_40.pdf)

After reading the leaked Climategate docs, does anyone think anything remotely like the above occurred?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 03:11:18 AM »
So how many years of weather does it take to make climate...?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 04:39:57 AM »
Iain,

I sat through several years of science class in Middle and High Screwl (mid -70's to early 80's) being told that: OMG!!!! The Erf is gonna freeze, we'll be all out of oil, and mastodons will feast on our bones.

I will state again:

Does the earth's climate change: Yep, you betcha.
Do we have anything to do with it:  Not in the least.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:31:09 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 08:11:33 AM »
So how many years of weather does it take to make climate...?

More than either side of the issue wants to use. Get back to me in 300,000 years, when all this back and forth on snow storms and heat waves is relegated to statistical noise, and the hills behind the house where I grew up, where I collected sea shell fossils, are back underwater again (or else there's a ton more beach-front property).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »
Iain,

I sat through several years of science class in Middle and High Screwl (mid -70's to early 80's) being told that: OMG!!!! The Erf is gonna freeze, we'll be all out of oil, and mastodons will feast on our bones.

I will state again:

Does the earth's climate change: Yep, you betcha.
Do we have anything to do with it:  Not in the least.

silly man you/i need only to realize how much smarter the young folks are today   :facepalm:
so unlike we were for we never thought we were so much smarter than the old timers back then   >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Relevant solution is relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoengineering

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 10:12:38 AM »
I may be biased, but the most wilful ignorance I have seen has come from 'deniers'. Repeated demonstrably inaccurate claims, such as the one made in this thread coming from the same people over and over again. You'd only need to look at the posting history of Matt Drudge's environmental correspondent to see the same conflation of weather and climate, over and over again, repeated threads talking about a bit of cold weather somewhere and linking it to global warming.
Didn't Al Gore claim Hurricane Katrina was due to global warming? And that we - the USA - would suffer many more catastrophic hurricanes in the immediate future? (Don't discount Al Gore as a legitimate global warming theory spokesperson or advocate - after all, HE won a Nobel Prize for his climate crusade.)

As for LA having hot spells and cold spells . . . I'd like to see what the temperature trend over the past century or two is after factoring in and correcting for the urban heat island effect.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »
As for LA having hot spells and cold spells . . . I'd like to see what the temperature trend over the past century or two is after factoring in and correcting for the urban heat island effect.

heretic!!  get thee behind me!

and theres no money in that research
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
Mastodons are vegetarians.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »
Mastodons are vegetarians.

research?  or memory?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »
research?  or memory?

You think walking uphill both ways to school is hard - try doing it during an ice age.

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 11:32:05 AM »
yea  horses hadn't evolved yet?