Author Topic: Hatfields and McCoys  (Read 8701 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Hatfields and McCoys
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
On History Channel tonight through Wednesday (3 parts) with Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton.

I've got the DVR set.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Hatfields and McCoys
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:54:21 PM »
Same here.  We'll give it a go, see if it's any good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »
Set the DVR a couple days ago.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:09:25 PM »
Recoding right now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »
Thanks for the reminder! Already missed catching the first showing, but have the dvr set for the repeat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:33:12 PM »
Missed the show.

Going to Luchenbach, Texas.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 02:23:17 AM »
Well done, though a little hard to follow at first.
Formerly sumpnz

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »
I was impressed with the period correct weaponry. Friends invited me to watch with them so I could translate Appalachian to English for them.  =D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
I thought this was a new movie.  Is this a documentary you are talking about or a mini-series?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
I thought this was a new movie.  Is this a documentary you are talking about or a mini-series?

It's a mini series. If you missed the 1st part, it will be playing again tonight (IIRC) and all three will be playing on Wed.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »
Not exactly uplifting entertainment, but interesting and well-produced thus far. Kevin Costner hasn't screwed it up.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:20:35 AM »
So far so good, haven't watched part 2 yet though.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
long show about feud is long
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
DVR set to record all three parts.  Will watch later.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
long show about feud is long

Long fued  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
Long fued  ;)

Ah, the renowned .75 caliber longfeud cartridge ..... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:43:39 PM »
SWMBO and I finished part 1 this evening.  Not bad at all.  Costner has even done a decent job in this one.  Looking forward to watching part 2 tomorrow.  Everything on DVR.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 10:06:25 PM »
I'll be watching part 3 after the kids go to bed tonight.  Once I had all the characters straight it was pretty good.  A few areas where they took artistic license with the true history (e.g. the Civil War origins of the animosity can't be corroborated, and the lawyer's romantic interest in Roseanna is fiction), but overall reasonably close to what I've read about the actual history.
Formerly sumpnz

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 01:01:55 AM »
Watched it. Good bit I didn't understand due to the language barrier.

It wasn't bad. I find my tolerance for BS gets lower the older I get. Several times during the series I found myself thinking, "Why don't y'all just kill each other and get it over with."

Was stunned to see a truce was signed in 2003. A fight with your neighbor that lasts more than 100 years? Geesh.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 01:39:27 AM »

It wasn't bad. I find my tolerance for BS gets lower the older I get. Several times during the series I found myself thinking, "Why don't y'all just kill each other and get it over with."

Was stunned to see a truce was signed in 2003. A fight with your neighbor that lasts more than 100 years? Geesh.

After the hanging and prison sentences the feud was basically over (early 1890's).  The 2003 "truce" was purely symbolic, and likely tied to them being able to get publicity and therefore money. 
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 01:44:23 AM »
Not sure how well it correlates with the truth, but I found the mini-series portrayed Devil Anse Hatfield in the more positive (or perhaps just less negative) light.  Randall McCoy was certainly shown as totally consumed by hatred and malice with no ability to forgive, or even call it quits.  A less comical, and far more tragic Black Knight in a way.  "Always victorious", even with all his limbs (in this case family members) cut off.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 02:42:11 AM »

You're kidding, right?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 03:36:50 PM »
My opinion: TOO MAY DAMN COMMERCIALS!! (and the same ones over and over to boot. let's take the caveman for instance...  [barf]

Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »
I really liked the show a lot, I've spent some time in West Va and Tennessee & sometimes think about what it might be like to live there, its beautiful country.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
The show was filmed in Romania.  That was a surprise.