Author Topic: Hatfields and McCoys  (Read 8702 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Hatfields and McCoys
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »
The show was filmed in Romania.  That was a surprise.

West By God Romania  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
The show was filmed in Romania.  That was a surprise.

I was wondering where they got that accent from :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 12:41:40 AM »
My opinion: TOO MAY DAMN COMMERCIALS!! (and the same ones over and over to boot. let's take the caveman for instance...  [barf]

That's what the fast-forward button on the DVR remote is for.  Also cuts the overall time for the show down by quite a bit.
Formerly sumpnz

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 07:12:19 AM »
yea, no fancy gadgetry here.  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
yea, no fancy gadgetry here.  =(

Then you'd best get with the program.   :P
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
My opinion: TOO MAY DAMN COMMERCIALS!! (and the same ones over and over to boot. let's take the caveman for instance...  [barf]

TiVo.  So easy even a caveman can do it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »
What's a TiVo?  =D

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
What's a TiVo?  =D

It's an exercise program. ;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
 :lol:

I actually turned it off 15 minutes into part three I got so pissed off. I have no idea how it ended.  >:D

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »

I actually turned it off 15 minutes into part three I got so pissed off. I have no idea how it ended.  >:D

there was some shootin, the end.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »
Kinda what I figgered.  :lol:

I have to say though, if the whole civil war situation is not confirmed by thorough research to have been the original start of this beef the History Channel has no business presenting it as such. Did they even actually fight together on the battlefield?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »
So,,, (someone has to ask it) who won?  [ar15]

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
So,,, (someone has to ask it) who won?  [ar15]

As usual, the lawyers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »
Ah, yup, I shoulda known.  :facepalm:

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »
As usual, the lawyers.
And a "journalist" or two.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:42 AM »
Kinda what I figgered.  :lol:

I have to say though, if the whole civil war situation is not confirmed by thorough research to have been the original start of this beef the History Channel has no business presenting it as such. Did they even actually fight together on the battlefield?

There is absolutely no corroboration I've ever found for that part of the story.  The idea that Devil Anse deserted is also rather unlikely, though not impossible - especially towards the end when many soldiers deserted.  I have also not found any evidence that Randall McCoy was ever a POW, at least not for any real length of time.

The guy wearing the Union jacket that Jim Vance murdered in the show was Randall McCoy's brother, Asa Harmon McCoy.  The real story there was a bit different.  Who actually shot him is not known, but a group of men from the area, the "Logan Wildcats" tracked him down and killed him.  They were mostly a Hatfield affiliated group, and it's quite likely that Jim Vance was involved.  That said, none of the other McCoy's, including Randall, really minded that he was murdered.  They all considered it an offense to the family that he'd fought for the North.
Formerly sumpnz

280plus

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 06:40:04 AM »
So it should be called the "History, we'll make it up for ya!" channel...  ;)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
Well, I consider some of that to be "artistic license" to help make the story a little easier to tell in a movie/mini-series format, or to make it seemingly more interesting.  For relatively minor aspects of a larger story that doesn't bother me too much. 

Most of the major parts of the story they did seem to get mostly correct.

And some of the Civil War related stuff may well be true.  I just haven't found anything that confirms it.  I also haven't found anything that specifically refutes it.
Formerly sumpnz

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 05:12:02 PM »
Devil Anse and Randall McCoy did't fight together as it is portrayed in the MOVIE but, they did reportedly get together at one point to kill some General (don't remember the name). Randall led Anse to him.

I got that from another show about the H/C feud, with commentary from several historians who have studied it at length.

A lot of the details of the feud are sketchy anyway but I think the film followed history pretty well considering it is, after all, a MOVIE. ;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »
I understand the whole movie artistic license thing and I have no problem with it except showing it on the History Channel seems to lend it a validity it does not warrant.