Author Topic: Attorney General Gonzales resigns  (Read 8691 times)

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
Attorney General Gonzales resigns
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:59:05 AM »
No comment offered, merely posting the story.   cool
---------------------------------

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has resigned, an official said on Monday, ending a controversial tenure as chief law enforcement officer that blemished the administration of President George W. Bush.

Gonzales was to make a statement at the Justice Department at 10:30 EDT. Bush was also expected to make a statement about Gonzales Monday morning, but would not be announcing a replacement, a senior administration official said.

A senior administration official said U.S. Solicitor General Paul Clement will serve as acting Attorney General, amid speculation that Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff could be a candidate for a permanent replacement.

A 51-year-old Bush loyalist, Gonzales was at the center of a political firestorm over the sacking of federal prosecutors last year, which critics in Congress complained were politically motivated, and faced a possible perjury investigation for his testimony before Congress.

Gonzales spoke to Bush by telephone on Friday and then visited him at his Crawford, Texas, ranch on Sunday where he formally submitted his letter of resignation, a senior administration official said.

"He (Bush) very reluctantly accepted it," the official said.

Asked whether anyone from the White House had suggested that Gonzales resign, the official said: "It was his decision."

Reaction from Democrats was swift.

"It has been a long and difficult struggle but at last, the attorney general has done the right thing and stepped down," said Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat.

"We beseech the Administration to work with us to nominate someone whom Democrats can support and America can be proud of."

"Better late than never," said Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, a former North Carolina senator.

Gonzales is the latest member of Bush's inner circle to leave the White House as the administration heads toward the final year of its two-term reign. Top Bush adviser Karl Rove departed last week, following former communications director Dan Bartlett earlier this year.

Gonzales worked for Bush when he was governor of Texas in the 1990s. He served as White House lawyer in Bush's first term as president before becoming the first Hispanic attorney general in February 2005.

Current and former administration officials had said the department's integrity had been damaged under Gonzales with controversy over the firing of the prosecutors, his support for Bush's warrantless domestic spying program and other issues.

EMPLOYEE MORALE

They said as a result employee morale had been hurt and Gonzales' relations with the Democratic-controlled Congress had deteriorated beyond repair in a firestorm of criticism from lawmakers, including some Republicans.

Several senators had said they had lost confidence in Gonzales and his ability to head the Justice Department.

Last month, in response to criticism by Republican Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania that the department was "dysfunctional," Gonzales told a congressional hearing "I have decided to stay and fix the problems."

While acknowledging mistakes in the handling of the dismissals, Gonzales had denied the firings were politically motivated to influence federal probes involving Democratic or Republican lawmakers.

Bush has defended Gonzales and cited Gonzales' rise as an achievement for Hispanics, the largest minority in the United States.

"I haven't seen Congress say he's done anything wrong," Bush said at a recent news conference. "As a matter of fact, I believe we're watching ... a political exercise."

Gonzales drew fire from civil liberties groups for writing in January 2002 that parts of the half-century-old Geneva Convention on the treatment of prisoners of war were "obsolete" and some provisions were "quaint."

He also was criticized for Bush's warrantless domestic spying program adopted after the September 11 attacks. Only in January, in an abrupt reversal, Gonzales said the program finally would be subject to court approval.
Zeke

Paddy

Re: Attorney General Gonzales resigns
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:00:13 AM »
'bout time. He's as incompetent as they get.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:01:07 AM »
I don't know anyone on any side that really liked him. After that "I was not aware of not being aware of the fact that I may have not been aware of lack of my awareness" hearing, he lost all credibility.

Ron

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 05:04:41 AM »
His tenure as AG thankfully destroyed whatever limited chance he had at being nominated to the Supreme Court.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 05:23:02 AM »
We hate ta see ya go, we hate ta see ya go......
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 05:40:03 AM »
Simpson Nelson voice - "Ha hah"

Incompetence seems to be a real trend with this administration.

Rats off the sinking ship, they know first.   Rove.....example, yep, bailing not working is it.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:05:18 AM »
Good Riddence to bad rubbish. The SOB should have been fired long ago and his head put on a stick.

But don't worry though, ol' EL Diablo Presidente will reach even lower into the barrel to find his replacement.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 06:14:51 AM »
Good Riddence to bad rubbish. The SOB should have been fired long ago and his head put on a stick.

But don't worry though, ol' EL Diablo Presidente will reach even lower into the barrel to find his replacement.

Chertoff has been suggested as a possible. *barf*

That's all we need. The skull who just said that if your state won't comply with RealID, you may need a passport to fly or go into a national park.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 06:23:20 AM »
I find it amusing that, in the mind of the left, everyone working for this Administration is either way too smart or way too stupid.  Everyone is either an evil genius (Rove, Cheney, Ashcroft), or the dumbest person ever to hold their particular office (Gonzalez, Bush himself).  There's never a middle ground.

For whatever that's worth...

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:24:13 AM »
So many lawyers! So few opportunities to rape, pillage, and burn the Bill of Rights!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 06:28:34 AM »
I wonder who will "resign" next.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 07:12:41 AM »
Two Things: 

1.  We are in the tail end of the Bush II administration.  People are going to be looking at what their next job is, like Rove.

2.  He has been under fire for a while now.  He can probably make more money with less grief somewhere else. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 08:02:02 AM »
Gonzales was a two-fer:
1. A crony of GWB
2. An affirmative action token

Thankfully, he'll never get on the SCOTUS.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 08:07:46 AM »
I don't know anyone on any side that really liked him. After that "I was not aware of not being aware of the fact that I may have not been aware of lack of my awareness" hearing, he lost all credibility.

Didn't he claim "I don't remember" close to 60 times?

My Senator, Arlen Specter, ripped him a new one.  Ironically, Fox News put a D after his name during its coverage of Gonzales hearing.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 08:14:23 AM »
Didn't he claim "I don't remember" close to 60 times? 

After Scooter Libby, I'd do the same thing. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 10:32:52 AM »
Rats on a sinking ship.

(Though in this case the rat accidentally chewed through the hull and sped the sinking...)
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »
Just remember - we are to hate everyone associated in any way with the Bush administration, because we have been told to...

Personally, I am still wondering why so many people say that Bush, the Ivy League MBA fighter pilot, is stupid, when their favorite candidate managed to flunk out a couple of times...
Blog under construction

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »
Just remember - we are to hate everyone associated in any way with the Bush administration, because we have been told to...

Well, that and because the BA has such a talent for appointing incompetent boobs.  But as we all know, those in power like to be surrounded by others like themselves.   angel
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 12:06:12 PM »
The biggest problem the Bush administration has had thus far is the counterproductive habit of having people constantly failing upwards.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 12:35:35 PM »

Personally, I am still wondering why so many people say that Bush, the Ivy League MBA fighter pilot, is stupid, when their favorite candidate managed to flunk out a couple of times...

Bush scored in the 25th percentile, lowest possible score to be accepted as a pilot.  While I do not believe he's as stupid as most folks believe, google "Bushism" for much entertainment.

Well, that and because the BA has such a talent for appointing incompetent boobs.  But as we all know, those in power like to be surrounded by others like themselves.

It's an argument either way whether you can hold the President accountable for the actions of his subordinates.  I lean towards the fact that you can.  When you're the boss, you get the credit for when things go right and the blame when things go wrong. 

He did approve a lot of people that were incompotent.  Joseph B. Stanford, John Bolton, John Poindexter (convicted of multiple felonies), Elliott Abrams, John Ashcroft, David Hager, the DoD neocons (Stephen Bryen, Richard Perle, Wolfowitz, Feith, Larry Franklin (convicted)), etc 

I almost feel guilty for tossing in Michael Brown, it's almost a cheap shot.  Attemping to put Harriet Ellan Miers on the SCOTUS bordered on insane. 

I don't personally like Michael Chertoff (he cowrote the PATRIOT Act), but he's at least decently compotent for a government employee.

After Scooter Libby, I'd do the same thing.

Reporting to Congress is part of the job.  If he's lying about not remembering, that is perjury and obstruction.  If he's not lying, he's incompotent for being unable to answer even basic questions.  Both Democrats and Republicans congresscritters voiced this view, BTW.  Either way, glad he's gone.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 12:40:51 PM »
Reporting to Congress is part of the job.  If he's lying about not remembering, that is perjury and obstruction.  If he's not lying, he's incompotent for being unable to answer even basic questions.  Both Democrats and Republicans congresscritters voiced this view, BTW.  Either way, glad he's gone.

Watch the video of that hearing. Watch when the camera pans over the faces of Republican lawmakers after a few rounds of the "I don't recall..." repetition. Their expressions vary from sour to WTF to anger. They were disgusted, too.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 12:51:30 PM »
Unless I was absolutely certain that my recollections were 100% accurate, I would say that I wasn't sure or didn't remember.  Scooter Libby attempted to answer questions like that, repeatedly, and ended up contradicting himself and getting a perjury rap. 

google "Bushism" for much entertainment.
  Google Bushism for a lot of things Bush never said.  You can do the same with a lot of politicians.  I've seen lists of things Bush said that were just copies of supposed Al Gore quotations from 2000.   rolleyes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 01:19:08 PM »
The big question:

Will the next AG appoint a special prosecutor to investigate any of the number of claims that have the Senate already calling for a special prosecutor?

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »
The big question:

Will the next AG appoint a special prosecutor to investigate any of the number of claims that have the Senate already calling for a special prosecutor?

A lot of speculation says Chertoff is in the running for the job.  If the head of the equivilent of the NKVD was put into the position of AG...  Oy. 

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
The big question:

The Dems have been calling for special prosecutors for every aspect of the Bush Administration since they regained control.  If the AG has any sense he'll tell them to jump in a lake.
I don't think Chertoff will be in the running, having resigned over Katrina.  I would hope he could get someone reasonably good.  I think someone like Charles Pickering would be interesting.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.