Author Topic: The Politics of Fast Food  (Read 2324 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Politics of Fast Food
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »
Interesting data via the Wall Street Journal. Not really unexpected for the places I'm familiar with. I'd expect the McDs, BK, etc. to be pretty middle of the road and just sell apolitical food without attracting one political leaning or another. It would have been interesting to see how Dunkin' Donuts came out, since they are often described as the conservative alternative to Starbucks. Though  I don't know that they've ever been very political one way or the other, unlike Starbucks.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/04/20/what-is-countrys-most-liberal-fast-food-restaurant/?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obinsite
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Politics of Fast Food
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »
Kudos to Chick-Fil-A.

But Domino's and Starbucks as "fast food"?  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
I don't think even McDonald's qualifies as "fast" food any more. They wonder why they're losing sales -- it might help a lot to have a warm body standing behind the ONE register that's (nominally) open when customers walk in ...

Not long ago it took me 12 minutes from when I walked in until I was able to place an order for two McDoubles and a senior soda. And it wasn't lunch hour on a busy day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »
Kudos to Chick-Fil-A.

But Domino's and Starbucks as "fast food"?  :facepalm:

Yeah, I don't get the Dominos either. I understand Starbucks though, for the quick cup of frapawhatever on the way to work and also because part of the article was on Hillary and her choice of "drop-in" places. I could certainly see Starbucks on her list.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:46:21 AM »
Yeah, I don't get the Dominos either. I understand Starbucks though, for the quick cup of frapawhatever on the way to work and also because part of the article was on Hillary and her choice of "drop-in" places. I could certainly see Starbucks on her list.

I think pretty much all coffee places except maybe Dunkin Donuts are far lefty places, its just the nature of the business.
Its no different than most gun shops are conservative.
I avoid starbucks like the plague, there are plenty of small, or independent roasters coffee shops around.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »
I avoid starbucks like the plague, there are plenty of small, or independent roasters coffee shops around.

Heh, around here the independent places are to the left of Starbucks. Fully 90% of the clientele wears Birkenstocks and are on Macs. When I used to have to drive to morning meetings with coworkers who wanted to stop at Starbucks or the local hipster coffee shops, I detoured to where I could get them their Starbucks and where I could walk a couple doors down and get a plain cup of coffee and a couple of Bismarks at a donut shop. :)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »
Bismark?

I heard some radio discussion on on KFC trying to make their fried chicken more friendly to hipsters.  I think they have completely forgotten who their core customers are. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:59:32 PM »
Heh, around here the independent places are to the left of Starbucks. Fully 90% of the clientele wears Birkenstocks and are on Macs. When I used to have to drive to morning meetings with coworkers who wanted to stop at Starbucks or the local hipster coffee shops, I detoured to where I could get them their Starbucks and where I could walk a couple doors down and get a plain cup of coffee and a couple of Bismarks at a donut shop. :)

True.

Confession time: I buy most of my coffee at a McDonalds or a gas station  ;)
When I want something different, I'll go to a local coffee (not starbux) shop just because they are a local business.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:44:28 PM »
Bismark?

AKA Berliner or Boston Creme. Custard filled donut with chocolate frosting. If I eat a donut, I like to go for full effect.  :laugh:

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
If I eat a donut, I like to go for full effect.

Do they give you a receipt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R7n3vNcXW0
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »
AKA Berliner or Boston Creme. Custard filled donut with chocolate frosting. If I eat a donut, I like to go for full effect.  :laugh:
Okay, just never heard the term.  I prefer just plain glazed (heavy on the glaze). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 09:56:19 PM »
Toasted coconut and French crullers FTW

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 11:27:43 PM »
I am a Jelly Doughnut !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAL-M2SdAU

One source I read claimed that the idea JFK claimed "I am a jelly doughnut" started in a bestselling thriller novel of the mid 1960s.  The author of said novel knew enough German to be dangerous. ;/
The video on the youtube link got it correct; Kennedy was speaking figuratively not literally, the use of "ein" was correct.  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »
I am a Jelly Doughnut !!!

"Holy Jesus! What is THAT? What the f--k is that?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NP8y63Ms4o
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
I think pretty much all coffee places except maybe Dunkin Donuts are far lefty places, its just the nature of the business.
Its no different than most gun shops are conservative.

Sitting in a Starbucks right now.  They have free WiFi which, far as I can tell, none of the other coffee shops or diners in this little town offer.  They also, for a while at least (not sure if they still do as I haven't kept up on it) were willing to stand up to the anti-gunners.

I use the free WiFi to work on homework when I need to get out of the house to actually be able to concentrate on it.  E.g. I'm working on my presentation on the Czech Republic for my Macroeconomics class now.  I'll also do some work on my term paper for Managerial Accounting.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 08:14:42 PM »
Sitting in a Starbucks right now.  They have free WiFi which, far as I can tell, none of the other coffee shops or diners in this little town offer.  They also, for a while at least (not sure if they still do as I haven't kept up on it) were willing to stand up to the anti-gunners.

Like most companies that have been Mommied,* they half-caved - they didn't actually institute a no-guns policy, but they did ask that patrons not bring guns. So far as I know, the only chain that's told the Marms Against America to pound sand is Kroger.

*harassed by the Moms Against Guns

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
Wonder how Carl's Jr. and Karcher's reputation fared.  Church's Fried Chicken's and the urban legend about doping the food should have made an interesting read, too.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 08:56:08 PM »
I'm sure most of the result is driven not by consumer choice but by corporate choice of where they choose to locate based on target demographics and real estate availability; as well as where regional chains start. For example you probably won't catch too many liberals at Krystal. Only two that stand out to me as consumer choice deciding the political flavor of a chain are Starbucks and Jesus chicken. Sbux because liberals like pretentious coffee and CFA because liberals hate them. And I like their wi-fi, chicken, and lack of patchouli.

Had no idea until 2am Saturday morning that Cook-Out was a christian chain, pretty obvious I suppose if you have bible verses on the cups, just never noticed. What 'til the moonbats find out. 
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.