Author Topic: The Shatner Award Goes To...  (Read 1975 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Shatner Award Goes To...
« on: December 16, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »
...David Tennant

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1178&bih=679&q=david+tennant&oq=david+ten&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.924.4186.0.6996.9.9.0.0.0.0.789.1337.5-1j1.2.0....0...1.1.64.img..7.2.1336.JuKfHhng_q0&safe=active

Seen this actor in several vehicles and I finally figured out which older actor he reminds me of:  William Shatner.
* Harry Potter Goblet of Fire (Good film)
* Dr Who (Meh)
* Jessica Jones (Not for kids and the main protagonist is a lying drunken skank.  The most nihilistic Marvel comic adaptation to hit small or large screen.  Again, not for kids or pets.  I would write more, but really, what's the point?)

In them Tennant's execution was sort of a "polished shatneresque."  Not a bad thing in my book.  Don't recall seeing him in any other films/teevee.  I think Marvel kind of wasted him in the Jessic Jones show, as he was better than most Marvel antagonists in the big bux Marvel films where protagonists many times are about this complex:
"Why am I doing what I am doing?  Because I am EVIL.  And the BAD GUY!   And with a super deep and growly voice like this, to include the melodramatic delivery, I can hardly play a protagonist. Mwuhahahahahaha!"

And to start this thread off right, I will include a tangent in the OP:
Which is the best antagonist Marvel has put on the big or small screen since, oh, 2000?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: The Shatner Award Goes To...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »
...David Tennant

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1178&bih=679&q=david+tennant&oq=david+ten&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.924.4186.0.6996.9.9.0.0.0.0.789.1337.5-1j1.2.0....0...1.1.64.img..7.2.1336.JuKfHhng_q0&safe=active

Seen this actor in several vehicles and I finally figured out which older actor he reminds me of:  William Shatner.
* Harry Potter Goblet of Fire (Good film)
* Dr Who (Meh)
* Jessica Jones (Not for kids and the main protagonist is a lying drunken skank.  The most nihilistic Marvel comic adaptation to hit small or large screen.  Again, not for kids or pets.  I would write more, but really, what's the point?)

In them Tennant's execution was sort of a "polished shatneresque."  Not a bad thing in my book.  Don't recall seeing him in any other films/teevee.  I think Marvel kind of wasted him in the Jessic Jones show, as he was better than most Marvel antagonists in the big bux Marvel films where protagonists many times are about this complex:
"Why am I doing what I am doing?  Because I am EVIL.  And the BAD GUY!   And with a super deep and growly voice like this, to include the melodramatic delivery, I can hardly play a protagonist. Mwuhahahahahaha!"

Which is the best antagonist Marvel has put on the big or small screen since, oh, 2000?

Megamind.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:30:51 PM »

That's a hard one.

Top three off the top of my head- the Green Goblin from Spiderman 2002 because, Willem Defoe. Few people do crazy like Willem Defoe.
The Red Skull from Captain America because, Hugo Weaving. (And I like that he was completely over-the-top evil. Comic book villains OUGHT to be over-the-top evil.)
And lastly Loki, in spite of Tom Hiddleston. That devious, plans within plans, undermining everything even before coming out a obviously evil was well done.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:40:53 PM »
What's the Shatner award for- overacting or drowning wife in a pool?
I'm lacking context  ???
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
The best Marvel villain is whoever decided we must have 80,000 super-hero movies every year.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »
He was very good in Dr. Who.

He was absolutely brilliant in Broadchurch, both seasons.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 05:20:31 PM »
The best Marvel villain is whoever decided we must have 80,000 super-hero movies every year.
Especially when they feel there must be transition movies to build up to later movies.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge