Author Topic: Tractor Gun Rack Ideas?  (Read 149 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tractor Gun Rack Ideas?
« on: May 21, 2024, 10:38:37 AM »
Right now it's rockchuck and raccoon invasion season, and it seems every time that I go out and plant myself somewhere to wait for them to pop up (even if they showed up on the gamecam just ten minutes earlier), I can wait for an hour and never see one. I see them all the time when I'm on the tractor.

So I'm looking for a tractor mount that can handle either my AR or my air rifle, or possibly shotgun as well. Obviously it would have to handle bumps and vibrations, which are usually felt more on a tractor than say a pickup or ATV. I was looking at the below, which looks like it would work well for maybe mounting to the ROPS bar, but my concern is the "up to 15lbs of carrying strength". That seems a little weaksauce, especially for the extra bounciness of a tractor. The reviews though (for as much as you can trust Amazon reviews anymore), seem to indicate that they would indeed hold up. Maybe it's 15lbs per, not per pair, for 30lbs?

Any thoughts on this or suggestions for better alternatives?

www.amazon.com/Kolpin-Ratcheting-Rhino-Grip-21540/dp/B006OZF6PY

EDIT: As I peruse options, one alternative is to mount a scabbard to protect the gun from dust, which can get pretty thick depending on what I'm doing. There are times I get off the tractor and am a walking dust cloud, like Pigpen in Charlie Brown.

https://www.amazon.com/Kylebooker-Tactical-Shotgun-Scabbard-Holster/dp/B098SRRF91
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Tractor Gun Rack Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 11:38:47 AM »
The scabbard is what I pictured in my mind. As long as you can stand up on some footboards to unholster the rifle. Anything from molded plastic,  carriage bolted low on the ROPS to embossed and beaded leather a'la Pancho Villa. Cordura meets in the middle, like the 2nd link.

If you must remain seated until the ride comes to a complete stop, then i see value in the clamps, but mounted on a horizontal surface, perhaps ahead of the steering wheel.
7-11 was a part time job.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 12:53:31 PM »
Make sure the scabbard is nicely padded to absorb shock and vibration loads.  Particularly if you have optics mounted.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 01:16:15 PM »
That is the way it works. I had a friend that had about 40 acres in alfalfa and he would get a ground squirrel problem. I would go out, set up and get maybe 5-10 over the course of a few hours. He could go out on his tractor and whack a dozen or more in the same time frame. He used a 20 gauge on his tractor.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 01:35:17 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 02:11:45 PM »
I used a scabbard until it got messed up. My model 60 fit tight enough that i left the top open and just reached over my shoulder when needed. I can't remember brand or where I got it but it was soft side with thick padding, and I had it mounted where if I hit scabbard on something the tractor was wreaked.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 02:15:54 PM »
Does your loader frame have a spreader bar ahead of the steering column connecting the tops of the frame? (And no cab, right?)
I have an older Kolpin rhino grip pair on mine. It’s above the hood and ahead of the steering and in plain sight and handy to access. A lot less likely to get snagged on something or knocked off. It works great for a 12g shotgun with extended mag tube but I also sometimes have a shovel or an axe on it.
Just make sure it’s far enough back that it won’t be a problem at full up on loader arms.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 03:01:12 PM »

Whoa!  He's not an obese nudist looking for CCW advice.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 03:02:44 PM »
Does your loader frame have a spreader bar ahead of the steering column connecting the tops of the frame? (And no cab, right?)

If I read you right, no, and yes, open cab (which my lungs often curse me for these days).

I was actually out mowing pasture this morning and kind of reaching around to see where a good mounting location would be, and it just seems the left side of the ROPS bar is likely the best option. Or else last year I put a sunshade on it that mounts to the ROPS bar with steel tubing, so I guess a horizontal overhead mount could be an option as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 03:03:18 PM »

If I was, I'd be smart enough to use gaffer's tape instead of duct tape.  =D

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2024, 03:24:23 PM »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 04:22:09 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 04:46:04 PM »

You sure about that? We've never seen a picture of Ben... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2024, 05:16:09 PM »
You sure about that? We've never seen a picture of Ben... :rofl:

Even if he is obese and a nudist he's not asking for CCW tips.
Formerly sumpnz