Author Topic: Might be a dumb question, but... felling trees?  (Read 1438 times)

PTK

• friends
Might be a dumb question, but... felling trees?
« on: August 23, 2010, 04:08:51 AM »
I know that here in MT, I need some sort of permit to cut down dead standing or fallen trees and take the wood for use as firewood, but I've no local office to contact.

Furthermore, this most likely won't provide me with what I'm aiming to get - birch that's still somewhat green so that carving is fairly easy. I'm currently in the Bozeman area, and I'd love any leads at all.

The reason I'm looking for birch to carve is that I need some cups, plates, spoons, etc., and I prefer wood, I have plenty of free time, and very little money indeed. I figure it'll be cheap, it's material I've worked with before, and it's traditional, at least to me. Russia's national tree, and all that...   =)

Anyway, any leads at all for some birch that's at least 4" diameter would be great, the greener the better. I understand that I can't fell a live birch on BLM or MT forest land, but maybe there's someone here who wouldn't mind parting with some logs.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Might be a dumb question, but... felling trees?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
have some here in the catskill mountains.  how's shipping to mt?   either that, or you can use the " sorry ranger, it looked dead to me" bit.

but seriously, i would bet that a ranger could find a live birch that might not be missed, if asked.

also, don't most wood carvers prefer seasoned wood?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:47:45 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:09:30 AM »
Yes, seasoned wood is best for carving, but dead trees are dead for a reason, and the cellular structure can break down and go sour rather quickly after death. 

Live cut trees are essential for carving, and best for firewood, in my opinion.
7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 11:16:15 AM »
I don't know that there even are any birch trees in MT  ???

Could you use aspen wood, instead?

Anyway, you get your firewood permit from a Forest Service office for the district where you want to cut.

Unless, you cut on private land, in which case you just need permission from the landowner.

You're probably better off just buying a log from somebody (call a sawmill or logging outfit).  A decent saw will cost you about $500 plus you need a pickup to haul it; I didn't think you had that kind of resources handy   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:28:42 PM »
Tallpine,

See, there's this thing I have called an axe.... :D

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:31:32 PM »
Tallpine,

See, there's this thing I have called an axe.... :D

On a 4" tree?

Man, you are determined!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
It's not like I'm talking about cords of wood, here. :P

I figure I'll need maybe eight 6-8" long sections between 3-4" diameter to make everything I desire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:47:29 PM »
It's not like I'm talking about cords of wood, here. :P

I figure I'll need maybe eight 6-8" long sections between 3-4" diameter to make everything I desire.

you might want something bigger in diameter so you will carve with wood that isn't considered juvenile wood (aka heartwood). You get too much juvenile wood and your wooden spoon might have some serious wows to them.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:48:11 PM »
I've not run into that issue before, but again, I was using birch. ???