Author Topic: Civil War rifle causes panic at Colorado university  (Read 1898 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Civil War rifle causes panic at Colorado university
« on: December 05, 2007, 04:36:43 AM »
Sigh.

Of course, I'm not surprised. Colorado college students? They probably couldn't tell an 18th century Brown Bess from an AK, it's just "A GUN OMG KILLER CALL POLICE!"

Civil War demonstration triggers emergency response from CSU police

FORT COLLINS - Police at Colorado State University sprang into duty on Tuesday morning when a man was reported carrying a large rifle on campus.

According to a letter sent out to the campus from CSU Police Chief D. Yarbrough, a man was spotted at 8:30 a.m. with a large rifle on the west side of the Clark Building.

CSUPD responded, brandishing shotguns, in less than one minute and searched the building. Several of the responding officers were still wearing civilian clothes due to the urgency of the call, according to Yarbrough.

The letter says campus police determined the man with the rifle was actually a history professor who had brought the firearm in for demonstration purposes for a Civil War class.

The professor was given instructions on how to properly bring a rifle to campus for demonstration purposes, according to campus police.

Yarbrough says the Clark Building was never evacuated and students, faculty and staff were never in any danger.

Len Budney

Re: Civil War rifle causes panic at Colorado university
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:42:32 AM »
The professor was given instructions on how to properly bring a rifle to campus for demonstration purposes, according to campus police.

Yeah, namely, "Don't, ya damn gun nut!"
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:47:47 AM »
I'm not sure what advice they could have given him. To someone with common sense, a Civil War rifle doesn't look like a threat, it looks like an antique, especially if it's just being carried like one.

If you put a sleeve on it, nobody can see what kind of rifle it is, and someone in today's panic-first mode might assume it's a modern one that could be a threat on a campus.

If you put it in a case, (good luck finding one that long, if it was an infantry rifle and not a carbine!), likewise.

When I was at the University of Miami in the 90's, the ROTC drill team members walked to and from practice with their M1903 Springfields and kept them in their room, and nobody fussed or called the police. What year did anything that vaguely resembles an antique firearm become reason to panic?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 05:16:44 AM »
I was University of Northern Iowa in the 90's, the ROTC guys in my Fraternity would carry parade AR-15's back and forth from the house to the parade ground and no one batted an eye. We even did a military flag ceremony to dedicate a new flag poll in the front yard with parade rifles and no one said a word.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:25:29 AM »
"To someone with common sense, a Civil War rifle doesn't look like a threat, it looks like an antique"

Actually, to someone who isn't all that familiar with firearms, a rifle looks like a rifle. Unless you have some basis of knowledge, discerning the finer points about a firearm's pedigree can be exceedingly difficult.

Plus, at much of a distance, it can be absolutely impossible for even a knowledgable individual to discern exactly the type and vintage of a firearm.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

member1313

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 05:36:31 AM »
To those of us who know what a weapon is by its appearance, this isn't a big deal. To students who are disarmed by policy, seeing a weapon on campus following the VT massacre, it was a big deal.

They did nothing wrong by calling police. They felt unsafe; the police did what they should have. It sounds like they dealt with the situation properly.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 06:18:42 AM »
At least they didn't shoot the professor.

Until we have open carry on campuses, a wise person gets approval to carry any long gun on campus... and goes to great lengths to hide handguns, or doesn't carry them at all; whatever his/her conscience dictates and what results he/she is willing to accept.

Calling campus security would be a good step... if no rifle case is available (I found one for my 28" barrelled Mosin 91/30), wrap it loosely in a sheet or something to obscure its features as a gun.

In 1995, I carried a pair of katana around high school all day.  I got it approved with the principal first, but it wasn't a problem.

The world is full of sheep, and they don't appreciate getting startled.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 06:39:13 AM »
Aren't some of the old infantry rifles nearly 5 foot in length?

AZRedhawk, a bedsheet might actually get you in more trouble, because now you're 'concealing' it.

I'd recommend going with an actual case or sock, so there's little to no question about being able to use it while it's still(partially) concealed.

Carrying it by a strap on your back might not be bad, especially if you dress the part so they think you're part of the theater group or something. Wink

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 06:43:25 AM »
Aren't some of the old infantry rifles nearly 5 foot in length?

Yes. My 1878 Vetterli, even, is almost four and a half feet without the bayonet!

Put a socket bayonet on some Civil War infantry rifles, they might be taller than you.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 06:49:24 AM »
Well, IMO, I think you can thank the Peaceniks from the late 60s and 70s. I'm sure many of you are old enough to remember when they banned toy guns, army soldiers, tanks and similar. Now, we have a nation of folks that live in abject fear of anything "gun". I will admit that it doesn't help that we have whacked out people in the world and a hyperactive media. I've always thought that guns were "cool" and was taught some respect for them and furthermore, a respect for life.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 07:10:52 AM »
The Japanese Type 38 Arisaka is also quite long, and EXTREMELY long with the bayonet mounted.

Unmounted, the rifle is nearly 50.5 inches long. With the bayonet mounted it's at least 60 inches.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 07:19:24 AM »
The T38 with a bayonet ain't much shorter than me, and I stand 5'9".

The Swedes are pretty long, too.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 07:30:14 AM »
The Japanese Type 38 Arisaka is also quite long, and EXTREMELY long with the bayonet mounted.

Unmounted, the rifle is nearly 50.5 inches long. With the bayonet mounted it's at least 60 inches.

Yeah, I had to ship one to my dad, I bought him one to restore. I found a box that fit it at work, whatever the chances of that were...and because the box said "GE Medical Imaging" all over it and warnings of fragility, the UPS gorillas didn't throw it.   cheesy

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 02:52:41 AM »
i guess there will be commendations all around for stopping this lunatic before anyone got hurt!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 03:08:44 AM »
I'm not sure what advice they could have given him. To someone with common sense, a Civil War rifle doesn't look like a threat, it looks like an antique, especially if it's just being carried like one.

Doesn't make it less than lethal, albeit slow to fire.  Or did my buddy use his Springfield repro to club  deer rather than shoot them...

Carrying an uncased rifle openly across a school campus of any kind these days is asking for trouble.

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 04:59:40 AM »
Tell him he should have put one of those cable locks through the action.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 07:57:17 AM »
Tell him he should have put one of those cable locks through the action.  Cheesy

This made me picture a hair thin multi-meter cable tie passing through the nipple, out the barrel then back.   grin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 07:42:58 PM »
The digital age will surely be (if it isn't already) the death of the English language.

We even did a military flag ceremony to dedicate a new flag poll in the front yard with parade rifles and no one said a word.

Those tall, skinny things you fly flags from? They are "poles," not "polls." Polls are for politicians.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Len Budney

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 02:37:47 AM »
Poles are for politicians too.  grin
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »
Hey, if Spell Check says it is okay, then it is okay.   Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge