Author Topic: My future  (Read 2139 times)

mgdavis

• friend
My future
« on: December 05, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »
You might have seen my thread a while back about finding a career. I said I was looking at apprenticing as an Electrician. I had found a school nearby, in Renton. Since then I haven't actually done much to get myself in there. The big roadblock, in my mind, is that the school's website isn't very informative and I don't know what questions to ask when get around to calling or e-mailing the school. I've been stalling for over a month while putting off coming up with a set of questions to ask.

I figure that I should start by asking if they have an informational packet they can mail me, but after that I'm at a loss. What should I ask? This could be the next five to ten years of my life, so I definitely want to be well informed going in. Help me out.

For reference, I'm talking about this thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: My future
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »
excuses, excuses... Get in your car, drive over there, ask where the admissions department is, and go in and say "I'm thinking of attending. Who should I talk to?"
Blog under construction

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 05:52:44 PM »
"Who/where/how do I apply for admission?" 
"How much will it cost?"
"Can you help me pay for it?"
"Can I talk to a student or Prof in the program?"

Bogie is right.  Quit worrying about what questions to ask and just go do it.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 09:12:04 PM »
Yup. Two magically important words:

FINANCIAL AID.

Even if you don't _really_ need it, go for it. You'll more than pay it back into the system via taxation on your increased income. And student loans rock, since the interest is low, and they're frozen until you graduate. They can let you concentrate on studying, rather than so much on "how do I get to my job flipping burgers?"

Blog under construction

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:22:55 AM »
It's an actual apprenticeship, so they'll pay me. I'll see if my GI Bill will apply as well. I just really hate cold-calling places. I suppose I've got just a touch of social anxiety or something similar.

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 08:52:50 AM »
I
just really hate cold-calling places.

I even hate calling places, but it's something worth doing.  A lot of it is how you approach it.  You want them to get the impression that you would both benefit from them hiring you.  The best way to do that is to feel positive when you walk in.  How to feel that way varies from person to person, but try it.  Think of your happy place, be positive, imagine them in their underwear, whatever works for you.  But stand up straight and act as if you wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they hired you.

Good luck and tell us how it works out.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 01:52:28 PM »
Renton? The W. WA Renton? I deliver to that tech school sometimes.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 02:35:29 PM »
Yep, that Renton. You get any good or bad vibes from it when you've been there?

P.S. Right now I'm just across the pond, right next door to Bangor.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
Well that was anti-climactic. I got to listen to a recording that told me barely any more than I had already learned from the web site. There is an e-mail address, I'll send it my list of question.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 12:27:20 PM »
Here's the e-mail I'm going to send. Anyone see a faux pas I should correct before hitting the send button?

Edit: helps if I actually show the letter:
To Whom it May Concern,
Hello. My name is Mike Davis, and I am interested in your Construction Electrician Program. I have some questions about your program that I was not able to answer through the PSEJATC web site or phone message.

How long does the application process take? If I were to submit an application, when would I be able to start with you?
How many students do you accept per class, and how many classes do you run per year?
What is the attrition rate for this program?
Finally, do you have an informational package that you are able to send me?

Thank you for your time.

Mike Davis
Censored
Silverdale, Wa 98383

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »
In my day the GI bill could be used to supplement your income while you apprenticed at a trade. Check to see if the policy is still intact. No sense AT ALL in not getting that money somehow. You earned it, for the love of God, don't let the .gov keep it!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 02:16:38 PM »
Yep, that Renton. You get any good or bad vibes from it when you've been there?

P.S. Right now I'm just across the pond, right next door to Bangor.

Well, the loading dock is annoying to get to. grin

Where's Silverdale? I'm in North Bend right now, but I'm planning on moving to Woodinville or Bothell when our lease expires in Feb.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 03:58:42 PM »
Silverdale is on the Kitsap Peninsula, just north of Bremerton and south of the submarine base.

I was actually born and raised in Renton and Dad was an engineer at Boeing for 40 years.  Which school is this?  Is this the Renton Voc-Tech up on the hill?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 03:34:56 AM »
make sure there is no misunderstanding what you want the final result of this apprenticeship to be (ie licensed electrician, etc.) and what you must do to get there. don't wait to be two years into something to find out. try to talk to someone in the licensing board for your state to find out what program is the best for getting your license. there may be other tech programs in your area that would be financially acceptable with the gi bill, and other aid, that wouldn't take as long.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
The school is "Puget Sound Electrical Joint Apprenticeship & Training Trust" on 7th and Lind. I've never been there, so I don't know if it's on the hill or not.

Geronimotwo: The phone line states that you come out of the program with an "O-1" license. I'll have to figure out what that means.

Balog: I'm *just* south of Bangor, a couple miles north of Silverdale. I got a buddy over in Bothell going to the UW there.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 09:10:12 PM »
Oh, I was thinking of the Vo-Tech place. Never heard of your school, sorry.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 10:06:52 AM »
The e-mail is sent, hopefully they respond Monday or Tuesday.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 01:47:26 PM »
Ah, this school is smack dab in downtown Renton.  It is not the Renton Voc-Tech that I was thinking of, which is up on a hill outside of downtown Renton.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 01:44:03 PM »
The response:

Dear Mike,

I will do my best to answer your questions. The application process takes about 2 months to complete. The steps are as follows:

1. Apply online

2. Bring in official HS transcripts or GED scores along with qualifying math documentation

3. Complete the Aptitude Test (held once a month and scheduled at our office)

4. Provide qualifying Compass test scores

5. Complete oral interview (held once a month and scheduled at our office)

When at the last step (oral interview), you will be given a score. This score will determine where you will be placed on our eligibility list. Then, when we accept a new group of apprentices (generally 20 at a time) we will take the top 20 from that list. The difficult part is that we do not know ahead of time when they will be accepting a new group. It is industry driven, so the better the industry is doing, the more people we will take in.

I do have an information packet that I will mail you today. Most of the information is online as well! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Misty Meyer

Applications Administrator

Puget Sound Electrical JATC

They run things differently then I expected, I figured that they would just start a new class through every X months/quarters.