Author Topic: UPS Monitoring Software Recommendations?  (Read 467 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
UPS Monitoring Software Recommendations?
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:09:50 AM »
Can someone recommend some good freeware that monitors input voltage to UPS units? I have some electronics on a boat at work giving problems, and I'm almost sure it's due to some random brownout sequences from the generator's clean power side. Looking for something that will let me look at historical graphics and numbers for input variability.

I have some really good software from APC that I use for the office, but it's got password protection and stuff that's way to complicated for the vessel crew to run, and I want them to be able to access the software to save me trips to the dock.

Also, the field expedient way I'm doing this is sticking a small APC UPS into the clean power on the boat, and plugging the nav computer into that. I figured the only way any software would run would be if it could pick up a recognizable UPS. I don't know of any way to make the UPS built into the generator recognizable, since I can't find anything that looks like a data port on it. So will this work, or will I not get "true" data through the secondary UPS?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
Re: UPS Monitoring Software Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:56:02 AM »
Are you looking for data on the power after it's past the generator's UPS? If so, then a little UPS connected to that like you mentioned would be the best way to collect the data.

I've never used it (I have a Belkin UPS), but I found this (Observer of Power) on Sourceforge for APC units that might do what you're looking to do. I'm assuming you're looking for something Windows based.

EDITED: Apparently that software isn't ready for release. If I have some time today, I'll plug in my APC I've got my TV on, and compile it and see if it's usable. If so, I could send you a compiled version.

Edited again: Apparently the guy hasn't uploaded any code for it. I'll keep my eye out for something else.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: UPS Monitoring Software Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »
Exactly right on what I'm looking to collect data on Marnoot. Thanks for checking checking into that software! Yeah, it has to be Windows based in this case.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."