Author Topic: Bye bye Afghanistan after NATO/US leave  (Read 6681 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Bye bye Afghanistan after NATO/US leave
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:33:44 PM »
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/09/120709fa_fact_filkins?currentPage=all

An interesting and depressing article predicting the likely outcome in Afghanistan after the Western militaries leave.  All that blood and treasure spent, and for what? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Bye bye Afghanistan after NATO/US leave
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/09/120709fa_fact_filkins?currentPage=all

An interesting and depressing article predicting the likely outcome in Afghanistan after the Western militaries leave.  All that blood and treasure spent, and for what? 
Democracy, of course.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »
The same thing will happen to Afghanistan and Iraq that happened to Vietnam, only from the interior vs North invading South. Years, billions of dollars, thousands of American troops wasted trying to give people who hate us something they don't want.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »

Democracy of course… Or maybe opium...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »

Isn't opium kind of a 19th century thing?  Passe now.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »

I wish!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:46:03 PM »
Well there's the crushing of Al-Quaeda.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »

That justifies the first month of the war  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:24:49 AM »

We could have paid the Taliban to do a better job of it, faster and more efficiently.  If we'd recognized their actual control of the country probably in a matter of days they would've handed over bin laden.

Now they get the country back and get the credibility of having resisted the war on terror. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:38 AM »

Crushing AQ was good, but as Tallpine wrote, what was the point after that was done by SF/CIA/CAS/local allies?

Well, our intervention allowed the Pashtuns to fly their homosexual pedophile/ephebophile freak flag with abandon.  As long as they are not Roman Catholic priests, that is to be celebrated, right? 

So, we can add this wonderful expression of diversity and multiculturalism to the credit side of the ledger kept on the Afghanistan war.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
We could have paid the Taliban to do a better job of it, faster and more efficiently.  If we'd recognized their actual control of the country probably in a matter of days they would've handed over bin laden.

Now they get the country back and get the credibility of having resisted the war on terror.  
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Taliban was HARBORING Al Qaeda.  There wasn't a chance in **** that they were going to either TKO Al Qaeda or chase them out of A'stan.  Shrubbie even gave 'em a chance and they didn't raise a finger.
No .... The Taliban wasn't gonna help us in A'Stan ....we were gonna have to scwew it up all by ourselves..... [tinfoil] [popcorn] :facepalm: :facepalm: >:D :mad: :mad: [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
Anyone want to wager on what Afghanistan looks like in five years?
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
Isn't opium kind of a 19th century thing?  Passe now.

Sorry, I meant poppies of course, the mother of all serenity.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »
Anyone want to wager on what Afghanistan looks like in five years?

About like it's looked most years out of the last thousand.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
About like it's looked most years out of the last thousand.

Yep!
Those people are backwards and will always be that way until they experience cultural change on their own terms.

But hey, there's crusading to do and little brown savages to tame.  Huh....seems we haven't changed much in a thousand years, either....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »
Yep!
Those people are backwards and will always be that way until they experience cultural change on their own terms.

But hey, there's crusading to do and little brown savages to tame.  Huh....seems we haven't changed much in a thousand years, either....

;/ You realize the Crusades were intiated in response to aggressive Islamic expansion right?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
;/ You realize the Crusades were intiated in response to aggressive Islamic expansion right?
Shhhhhh put away those pesky facts!

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »

Which crusades? There was plenty of em ;-)
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »
“Once a month, an American drives out here in his Humvee with a bag of money,” Terling said.

I think that says it all. ;/

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
Sounds like Chicago.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
Pssssst!  We ain't leaving A'stan.  We're making it look like we're leaving but the reality is too much at stake to go away. 
-- A'stan is the keystone of the encirclement strategy afoot for containing Russia. 
-- It serves as a blocking location to stop the westward movement of China's influence. 
-- The country is a Disneyland of undeveloped mineral resources, a lot of which are rare earth minerals. 
-- So far no oil deposits worth mentioning but that could change with the involvement of Russian technology and smarts (see previous comments). 
-- It serves as an outlet to the sea for oil produced in the Stans (aka southern Russia). 
-- A'stan has a lock on world heroin production.  The US could have shut down heroin production at any time over the last 10 or so years yet failed to do so.  There exists an increasingly influential body of thought which maintains the only real international currency is raw opium, something international banks maintain an interest in.
-- Oh, A'stan sits on the eastern border of Iran, the Bad Guy of the Day.

No, we're not leaving.  Instead we are burrowing in like a tick.  Did we fail in A'stan?  No, looks like we've been quite successful considering the commercial consequences of sticking around. 

c.f. any book by Z'Big or Google up "silk road strategy"
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 11:23:11 PM »

Especially the Northern Crusades, I take it.  =D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 05:44:33 PM »
  -- A'stan has a lock on world heroin production.  The US could have shut down heroin production at any time over the last 10 or so years yet failed to do so.  There exists an increasingly influential body of thought which maintains the only real international currency is raw opium, something international banks maintain an interest in.

You mean international finance is the opiate of the people, literally? =D

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »

Untwist your panties,it wasn't a direct reference to the actual crusades.  It was a snark about American imperialism....err...democracy-spreading!
JD