Author Topic: Interesting civil case against King County Sheriff's Office  (Read 5589 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2012/07/family-of-woodinville-man-killed-by-sheriffs-office-in-2009-files-civil-rights-lawsuit/

I am sure there is more to this than just this report, but I would sure be troubled by a deputy shooting a middle-aged man clad only in underwear and slippers with no weapons on him or in his hand.  This sounds like a suicide by cop, but I wonder what the deputy was thinking about shooting someone who clearly appeared to be unarmed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Interesting civil case against King County Sheriff's Office
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:57:51 AM »
From the article;

Muenster also alleges that Cougan, as a deputy, was shown preference during the investigation by not being required to give a statement until after consulting with an attorney.

That is the same here with the local Sheriffs Dept. We had a deputy shoot and kill a 70+ y/o man and they would not take his statement for several days. In fact, he was able to take his previously scheduled vacation to Hawaii before having to give a statement.

That shoot was ruled justified, but you can bet it will end up in court.

bob

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
you object to them being afforded the same rights to consult counsel and or remain silent you have? >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
the family is alleging the man was no threat?  then why did they call the sheriff in the first place?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:16:01 PM »
you object to them being afforded the same rights to consult counsel and or remain silent you have? >:D

No, but were I to be arrested, I have to spend time in jail, appear before a judge who will determine how much $$$ my family has to cough up to get me out of jail. 

Goose, Gander, sauce and all.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
Doesn't sound like suicide by cop to me at all.  Sounds like murder by cop.  The man put the knife down and was walking toward the cop.  That is what a person that wants to talk does.  He walks, unarmed toward the person with whom he wants to talk.  Walking up to the cop with a knife might be suicide by cop.  This was not that. 

The Kings County SD has a long history of killing civilians in their fervor to protect and serve their leaders.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »
the family is alleging the man was no threat?  then why did they call the sheriff in the first place?
\

yea thats always a conundrum.  they are so scared they call the cops for their loved one but they expect the cops to know hes harmless after they called for help
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:45:19 AM »
Not enough info (as usual) to make a definitive call.  BUT, taking the news story as writ (always dangerous) it sure sounds like a questionable shoot.  The guy was unarmed, but that doesn't meen he wasn't dangerous.  What we don't know is how he approached the cop, what the cop said, what the dead guy might have said back, etc.  It certainly though seems like a potentially better application for a baton or perhaps a Taser rather than a double tap from an AR-15.

Oh, and BTW, if I was on the jury I'd not give any weight to the statement "Cougan, as a deputy, was shown preference during the investigation by not being required to give a statement until after consulting with an attorney." 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
Do police still carry batons?  Are they really trained to use them to the point that it is a useful option?  I would suggest that the department would still get sued if the headline instead read that an officer beat up a naked unarmed man with a baton?

Would the whole Rodney King fiasco have happened if one of the cops had just shot him when he attacked them instead of beating him with batons?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
Blow em all up with drones and sort out the bodies, ask questions later.

The militarized police are just following suit.

Seems this is an issue of training, what are the police being trained to do in these circumstances? If the training has them grabbing an AR-15 immediately should we be surprised when they get used with predictable results?

Did this call actually rise to the level where Andy would give Barney permission to load his bullet?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
Sounds like a failure in the officer's use of force continum.....a lawsuit should focus on that....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »
Blow em all up with drones and sort out the bodies, ask questions later.

The militarized police are just following suit.

Seems this is an issue of training, what are the police being trained to do in these circumstances? If the training has them grabbing an AR-15 immediately should we be surprised when they get used with predictable results?

Did this call actually rise to the level where Andy would give Barney permission to load his bullet?
First, you assume training exists at all.  I think we need to be careful when we talk about how much hand to hand combat we think cops should be getting into while at the same time criticizing them for "brutality".  At some point, we have to hit the other side of the coin and insist that citizens stop trying to fight with police. 

Second, in this case, I would be curious exactly what he was telling the guy to do and did the guy do it.  How confusing was the situation and how quickly did he shoot. 

Last, IMO Andy and Barney were just some pipe dream on TV that has little basis in reality.  I don't think the actions of two imaginary police officers in a quiet imaginary town dealing with non-violent made-for-50's-TV imaginary situations really applies.  I bet if you actually went back and followed cops in the 50's and before, I bet you would see them cracking heads and such quite often especially among the "undesireables". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
MA94 has a point.....the "less-lethal" tools of the Mayberry days were the ash baton and the lead-shot sap.....

....I miss those days.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »
Last, IMO Andy and Barney were just some pipe dream on TV that has little basis in reality.

I actually know a county sheriff who is an Andy Taylor type  =)

His undersheriff is a pretty good guy too - not nervous like Barney.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »
First, you assume training exists at all.  I think we need to be careful when we talk about how much hand to hand combat we think cops should be getting into while at the same time criticizing them for "brutality".  At some point, we have to hit the other side of the coin and insist that citizens stop trying to fight with police. 

Second, in this case, I would be curious exactly what he was telling the guy to do and did the guy do it.  How confusing was the situation and how quickly did he shoot. 

Last, IMO Andy and Barney were just some pipe dream on TV that has little basis in reality.  I don't think the actions of two imaginary police officers in a quiet imaginary town dealing with non-violent made-for-50's-TV imaginary situations really applies.  I bet if you actually went back and followed cops in the 50's and before, I bet you would see them cracking heads and such quite often especially among the "undesirables". 

If the officer was armed with a tazer and felt threatened by the underwear and slippers wearing assailant then chances are we wouldn't be having this discussion and nobody would be dead.

The Mayberry comment was mostly a tip of the hat to the passing of Andy G.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »
The way this article reads, the allegations are that the cops showed up, loacked and loaded his AR, and popped the guy twice, with little discussions, etc.  The family alleges that the guy had a knife on the porch.

Lawsuits filed by the ambulance chaser types always make allegations, many times knowing that they are not entirely accurate, for strategic purposes.  You allege negligence in any case to drag in the insurance companies, as that's where the big money is.  You allege a lack of training here so you can drag in the city, which means more money.  Then, you start negotiating for the quick cash settlement to make it all go away.

To much uinknown for me to make a judgment on this one. But one point...I'd be curious to see how many people criticize this cop for shooting an unarmed man who also support George Zimmermen shooting of an unarmed man as being justified self-defense...   [popcorn]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »
When you choose a hammer as your only tool, every problem becomes a nail.

However, the lawsuit alleges — and the Sheriff’s Office has since acknowledged – that Slater had left the knife on an porch bench and was unarmed when he stood and walked toward Deputy Peter Cougan, who had responded to a domestic disturbance at the Slater house and found Slater sitting on a bench outside the home.

To much unknown for me to make a judgment on this one. But one point...I'd be curious to see how many people criticize this cop for shooting an unarmed man who also support George Zimmermen shooting of an unarmed man as being justified self-defense...  

A trained police officer wearing body armor wielding an AR-15, with back-up on the scene and more available, being confronted by an unarmed man in his pajamas is not analogous to an untrained dope getting in over his head and getting his head pounded in, requiring the use of force to escape.

Oh wait, you have much more experience in these matters than I, if you say so, then the state of our law enforcement is even worse than it sometimes appears.

Your bias is showing methinks  ;)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:24:58 AM by Ron »

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »
there was backup there? and he knew he was unarmed? how?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:08 PM »
To much uinknown for me to make a judgment on this one. But one point...I'd be curious to see how many people criticize this cop for shooting an unarmed man who also support George Zimmermen shooting of an unarmed man as being justified self-defense...   [popcorn]

Yep. Waiting for the trial to see the facts coming out. If the unarmed guy was say, beating the cop's head against some nearby concrete...  Then yes, lighting the guy up was appropriate.  If he was carrying a Twilight novel, also appropriate. If the guy was just acting mildly crazy but apparently unarmed, maybe not.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56:25 PM »
there was backup there? and he knew he was unarmed? how?

The original article, and some others in the local media, mention that at the time he was shot, Mr. Slater was wearing only underwear and slippers, and was approaching the deputy with nothing in his hands.  I am going to hazard a guess that a reasonable person would have been able to determine that Mr. Slater was not concealing any weapons in his underwear, although I have read nothing on that very point.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
and there is always this oddity

beloved family member was too scary for his family to deal with so they call cops.
then when cops deal with him mr scary is suddenly harmless