Main Forums > The Roundtable

Bill Gates is a nuclear kind of guy

(1/5) > >>

MillCreek:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/25/bill-gates-nuclear-power-will-absolutely-be-politically-acceptable.html

Interesting comments from Mr. Gates on the benefits of nuclear energy as we fight climate change.

Nick1911:
Well... he's not wrong about it being a good idea.  If we accept that burning massive amounts of carbon containing substances from within the earth is a bad thing, nuclear energy is key.

I'm not convinced it will be politically palatable though.  There is a lot of entrenched interest in the status quo, and those interests will fight hard to keep the energy market as it is now.

RoadKingLarry:
Even a blind pig will find an acorn once in a while.

Ben:

--- Quote from: Nick1911 on March 01, 2021, 09:19:10 AM ---
I'm not convinced it will be politically palatable though.  There is a lot of entrenched interest in the status quo, and those interests will fight hard to keep the energy market as it is now.

--- End quote ---

Even if it became politically viable (and I am a big fan of nuclear), what does it take right now - like 25 years to go through the regulatory process to bring a new plant on line? Even if politics shifted, it would probably be 20 years of political battles, court battles and lawsuits to kill the current regulations.

MillCreek:
^^^And we still need to come with a permanent waste repository.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version