Author Topic: Columbus Day, No. Indigenous Peoples Day, Yes  (Read 3270 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Columbus Day, No. Indigenous Peoples Day, Yes
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:12:17 PM »
What are they putting in the water in Seattle?

#IndigenousPeoplesDay is about recognizing the atrocities committed by Columbus and his fellow colonizers.

http://twitchy.com/2014/10/06/recognizing-the-atrocities-seattle-demonstrators-urge-city-council-to-replace-columbus-day-photos/

Anyway, I guess no Indian ever tortured or killed a European ever? Never displaced or enslaved another tribe? Never came to the continent from elsewhere?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Columbus Day, No. Indigenous Peoples Day, Yes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »
In all fairness, Columbus was an incompetent johnny come lately that had no idea where he was, and was a real dick when he got there. Of course we white wash the horros and atrocities committed by the tribes he encountered.

I think we should change it to Viking Explorer day, celebrate the real first European settlers.  :rofl:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »
I long ago decided that "Protected Classes" ("Minorities") don't want equality.

They want advantage.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »
 I've read  (where I don't recall) the Phoenicians were in N. America first. About a thousand years before the Vikings. Black Africans in S. America, according to recent discoveries, pre-date the Asians that are presumed to have crossed the Bering land bridge.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
So from now on, Columbus Day will be celebrated by lambasting Europeans for being mean to Native Americans. How will that be different than the way it's been celebrated the past ten years?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Columbus Day, No. Indigenous Peoples Day, Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »
I'll have to look it up, but I think recent archaeology is pointing towards the ORIGINAL settlers from Asia being like the Ainu people of Japan who were displaced by the Indians when they came over. (Note: I use what the "indigenous peoples" prefer to be called.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »
who were displaced by the Indians when they came over

Indians? Dot or Feather? ???

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Columbus Day, No. Indigenous Peoples Day, Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »
Feather. They displaced the previous peoples here when they came over.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 11:29:55 PM »
I'll have to look it up, but I think recent archaeology is pointing towards the ORIGINAL settlers from Asia being like the Ainu people of Japan who were displaced by the Indians when they came over. (Note: I use what the "indigenous peoples" prefer to be called.)

That is my understanding as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »
In all fairness, Columbus was an incompetent johnny come lately that had no idea where he was, and was a real dick when he got there. Of course we white wash the horros and atrocities committed by the tribes he encountered.

I think we should change it to Viking Explorer day, celebrate the real first European settlers.  :rofl:

The latest I heard was that Marco Polo may have known about America, but was too busy hanging out in China to really tell anybody.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »
I think I will wish everyone I meet a "Happy Columbus Day!" come Monday.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »
I need to write an indignant letter to the Seattle City Council pointing out the genocide of the Anasazi by the Apache and demanding they stop celebrating those murderers.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »
I need to write an indignant letter to the Seattle City Council pointing out the genocide of the Anasazi by the Apache and demanding they stop celebrating those murderers.
Where do I go to complain about the numerous atrocities of Ghenghis Kahn? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »
Where do I go to complain about the numerous atrocities of Ghenghis Kahn? [tinfoil]

My gripe is with Charlemagne.  That genocidal French/German/Dutch sacred-grove-destroying rat bastard.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
I'm a bit miffed about the whole Homo-sapiens pushing out the neanderthal thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 11:57:35 PM »
My gripe is with Charlemagne.  That genocidal French/German/Dutch sacred-grove-destroying rat bastard.

Charles Martel. Vienna was the first hate crime.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »
My court cancelled Columbus Day observation a few years back.  Not for these kinds of reasons, but in trade for the day after Thanksgiving.  This crap is just political correctness...again.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »
My court cancelled Columbus Day observation a few years back.  Not for these kinds of reasons, but in trade for the day after Thanksgiving.  This crap is just political correctness...again.

Do you still celebrate Cinncinatti Day  ???

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 10:39:19 AM »
Wasn't Columbus original expedition financed by Hispanic money?

And weren't the indigenous peoples of Central and South America abused by other Hispanics, including Cortez, Pizzaro, et.al., who murdered them in large numbers, enslaved them, and looted their treasures?

Seems to me that Native Americans/Indians/Whatever have a pretty big historical beef with the Hispanic community . . . and with the co-mingling of bloodlines over the centuries, they really ought to hate (drum roll please) . . . themselves.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »
Do you still celebrate Cinncinatti Day  ???

:lol:

I do when I get a chance to eat Skyline or Gold Star chilli, Graeter's Ice Cream, or Larosa's pizza.   :laugh:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2022, 11:18:41 AM »
Thread necro: 

https://twitter.com/politicalsock/status/1579452835900829696

On #IndigenousPeoplesDay, it is wise to remember the first enslavement of humans when Europeans met North Americans:

Cabeza de Vaca and the shipwrecked survivors of the Narvaez expedition were enslaved by native tribespeople in what is now known as Texas.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/cabeza-de-vaca-discovers-texas

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2022, 11:26:20 AM »
Since my OP in this thread, I have read a good half dozen biographies and autobiographies by trappers and other explorers from early-mid 1800s America. The stories of what the Indians did to whites, other tribes, and even animals, simply for their own amusement, will make you want to celebrate whatever the opposite of "indigenous people's day" is.

While white settlers are not blameless in the atrocities arena, Indians - including the women and children - did some pretty sick *expletive deleted*it.

On another note, the so-called "journalist" who tried to get a Target employee fired for not selling him a $100 toothbrush for $0.01, called child protective services on a woman who said she was celebrating Columbus Day with her young daughter. The claim was racism.

https://twitchy.com/amy-313134/2022/10/10/target-toothbrush-loser-david-leavitt-ties-up-virginia-child-abuse-hotline-over-a-mothers-tweet-about-american-history/

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/10/11/draaag-him-tina-ramirez-comes-out-swinging-after-target-toothbrush-loser-david-leavitt-threatened-her-with-cps-over-a-tweet/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
First enslavement of humans?

Has to taken in context of "when Europeans met North Americans"

I did a double take on it at first.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes