Author Topic: Big Oil looks to Al Gore, film at 11.  (Read 595 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Big Oil looks to Al Gore, film at 11.
« on: October 16, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-oil-rolls-al-gore-154141706.html

So oil is trying to use environmentalism to can ethanol. I know there a pro and con ethanol folks in this group, but I do find this concept interesting.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
Re: Big Oil looks to Al Gore, film at 11.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »
The only reason we have a .gov mandate to dilute gasoline with ethanol is because major ethanol producers have made a great many targeted donations to the campaign funds of a great many legislators.

They clearly got what they paid for.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
Re: Big Oil looks to Al Gore, film at 11.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:18:54 AM »
The only reason we have a .gov mandate to dilute gasoline with ethanol is because major ethanol producers have made a great many targeted donations to the campaign funds of a great many legislators.

They clearly got what they paid for.

Plus ethanol doesn't drop emissions much, if at all- any gains in cleaner tailpipe emissions are negated by loss in fuel economy and new or increased emissions of other pollutants other than NOx and SOx.

Here's a really good article describing the hows and whys of oxegentates :  http://www.ogj.com/articles/print/volume-100/issue-2/general-interest/mtbe-vs-ethanol-sorting-through-the-oxygenate-issues.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama