Author Topic: speaking of schools and the rights of students...  (Read 1209 times)

zahc

• friend
speaking of schools and the rights of students...
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:58:27 AM »
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202424549808

Student suspended from school for myspace activity engaged in OFF school grounds and on personal time.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: speaking of schools and the rights of students...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »
We had a guy, C.L. Lindsay who was a lawyer and specialized in cases such as this come to my university and speak about these issues.

Here's his organization

http://www.co-star.org/

He says that there is basically nothing you can do to stop this crap. It really angers me the stuff schools (and colleges) can do to you.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:12:10 AM »
I disagree.  She made a myspace depicting the school's principal as a phedophile?  Um, yeah....she brought the school into her personal life.  Serves her right.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 10:00:57 AM »
I see problems with the student, the judgement, and the school.

Bringing actions against a student for activity that took place away from school, not at a school function . . . black mark against the school.

False accusations of criminal activity may constitute libel, and subject the person who made them to lawsuits. Falsely asserting a school administrator is a pedophile - which could seriously impair that person's career - would seem to fit any reasonable definition of libel. Black mark against the student.

Judge Munley's citations of allegedly improper actions by other students at official school functions have no discernable relevance to actions that took place away from school, without the use of school resources. Black mark against the judge.

Bringing hardcopy of the offending material to school may be the lever needed to make the suspension stick. Black mark against the student.

The student allegedly lied to the principal when questioned . . . refusing to answer questions about non-school-related actions would have been wiser, and well within what a smart eighth grader ought to be able to accomplish. But unless there's evidence that teachers/administrators can be similarly punished for lying to students, I say black mark against the school.

Bottom line: I see NO good guys here.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:07:44 AM »
I agree with HankB.

Frankly, I would be more amenable to expulsion rather than suspension so as to limit the damage the little dear could do.

Suspension = School district has authority to police non-school activities

Expulsion = We want nothing to do with the wretch
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »
were i the principle i'd explore lighting up the lil girls parents in court. their kid they provided the computer etc and failed to supervise/control her as she did something that could well harm his career. sweat em a lil. if their lil angel took their car and did damage they'd be liable this could be worse
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I