Author Topic: Speaking of viscous animals....  (Read 2280 times)

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Speaking of viscous animals....
« on: October 14, 2005, 02:45:08 AM »
This is just lower than slug slime:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002560033_danny14.html

Danny Westneat
Crash victim's insurer should have a heart

Ethel Adams was driving along minding her own business last March when a pickup truck was forced into her lane, slamming into her head-on.

She had to be cut from her crumpled Hyundai Accent. She was in a coma for nine days. Doctors first debated whether she'd live, then, later, whether she'd walk. It would seem Adams was the unlucky victim of an unforeseen event  what most anyone would call an "accident."

Not her insurance company.

Though Adams, 60, has $2 million worth of coverage, a subsidiary of Farmers Insurance has decided not to pay her a penny because they say someone caused Adams' crash on purpose.

And state case law suggests they might be able to get away with it.

"I'm in shock; it's unbelievable to me that a huge insurance company can just declare that I wasn't in an accident," said Adams, sitting in a wheelchair in her Everett apartment.

Nobody disputes the gist of what happened to Adams last March. She was driving south at 193rd and Aurora Avenue North, delivering dentures and crowns for her job at Edgewood Dental Laboratory.

A crazed man named Michael R. Testa was driving north attempting to run his girlfriend off the road. In an infamous road-rage crash that has been shown countless times on TV, he bashed her pickup truck across the centerline and into the southbound lanes.

Four other cars crashed. The pickup truck slammed directly into Ethel Adams, squashing her car and knocking it backward into another truck.

No one died. Adams, with collapsed lungs and 17 broken bones, was the most seriously hurt. She spent a month in the hospital and another five in a nursing home.

Earlier this week, Testa pleaded guilty to two crimes  domestic-violence assault for hitting his girlfriend, and vehicular assault for causing the pileup. Testa, 40, will be sentenced Nov. 10 and is expected to get up to 12 years.

And that's where it gets maddening for Ethel Adams. She doesn't know Testa or his girlfriend. From her vantage, a truck driven by a stranger came hurtling out of nowhere and ruined her life.

She says if anyone ever deserved the label "innocent victim," she is it.

But a Farmers' affiliate, Truck Insurance Exchange, argues that Adams' state of mind is irrelevant. Even though it was Adams' insurance policy, the uninsured-motorist portion is designed to cover Testa's liability. Therefore it's Testa's state of mind that matters, and Testa meant to cause the wreck, so it's not an accident.

Explains a letter from Farmers' Seattle-based attorney, Ronald Dinning: "The common meaning of 'accident' does not depend on the perspective of the injured insured, but instead essentially depends on the intent of the person causing the injury or damage."

He cited a 1990 Pierce County case in which a woman purposely crashed into a car driven by her ex-husband. The state Supreme Court ruled then that insurance didn't have to cover the ex-husband's injuries in part because the outcome wasn't "unexpected or unforeseen"  that is, it wasn't an accident.

"It's also not unexpected or unforeseen that if you are ramming a car from behind with the intent of pushing it into oncoming traffic, you're going to hit some people," Dinning said in an interview. "That's what Testa did. Liability insurance is only for accidents, and this wasn't an accident."

The logic here is impressively tortured, even for an industry known for exploiting technical loopholes.

To argue that Testa, who went on a rampage and then was sent to a psychiatric hospital for delusions, could have possibly intended to crash a car into Adams, a woman he didn't know existed, is truly an outrage.

"That sounds like more of a crime than what happened to me [in the wreck]," Adams said.

Police interviewed Testa twice the day of the crash. His statements were wildly erratic. Testa initially told police his girlfriend's Ford truck rammed his truck from behind. Later he confessed he "hit her in the ass end of the Ford and flipped it." But he never says his goal was to push her truck into oncoming lanes. He never mentions other cars at all.

Dinning said what happened to Adams is "very unfortunate," but "the law is the law unless the Legislature wants to change it."

That's exactly what lawmakers ought to do. They did something similar in 1998 when they banned insurance companies from punishing the victim in cases of domestic violence. That came after Safeco Insurance said it wouldn't cover the expenses of a Kent woman when her estranged husband burned down her house.

Of course a new law would be too late to help Ethel Adams. She was an innocent bystander to the crime but is suffering most of the pain. And she's the one left to twist in the wind.

(The state of Washington has paid her medical bills so far through workers' compensation  more than $500,, according to her attorney, Karen Koehler. But the state is covering only a portion of her lost salary and other expenses.)

What ought to happen next is Farmers should miraculously discover some inner decency  or maybe just some shame  and pay Adams her due. That's what Safeco did in 1998, eventually paying to rebuild that torched house even though it wasn't required to.

Then Adams could at least rent a wheelchair-accessible home to replace her cramped apartment, says her daughter, Vicki Adams, 34.

An apology for this fiasco also wouldn't hurt.

More likely, the companies will have to be sued. Koehler says a suit could be filed as early as today.

Ethel Adams, who can barely reach her kitchen using a walker, is dumbfounded someone could claim she wasn't in a car accident. But mostly she feels betrayed.

"The insurance companies say they're here to protect people. But then when you need them most, they do something like this."

Danny Westneat's column appears Wednesday and Friday. Reach him at 206-464-2086 or dwestneat@seattletimes.com.

Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

Having been a Farmers claim rep, I have read their policies extensively, and IIRC, the only exclusions for "intentional damage" apply to the policy holder. This extension to apply to third parties is just ludicrous.

I will be following this case, and if Farmers doesn't reverse position, right quick, I will be cancelling my policies (auto/home/flood) and let them know exactly why.
angry

Ron

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 04:03:36 AM »
If you follow this case please post how it is resolved.

I also have Farmers for my house and cars.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 07:44:56 AM »
My ex worked for a time for Farmers HOA division. The stories she had were just mind boggling and frightening.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 08:23:13 AM »
Two words. "Bad Faith".  She needs to sue the bib overalls off Farmers.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 08:31:44 AM »
Not sure I'd describe anyone here as a viscous animal.  Even a vicious animal.
But in this era of the internet and instant communication I would say an insurance company would need its head examined to make that kind of claim.  This thread has probably cost them 30 potential customers alone.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 08:36:00 AM »
The same stories can be told of most any insurance company. They don't want to pay, and will find any way they can not to. In a case like this they are probably trying to force the policy holder to go after the guy that started the whole mess, hoping HE has insurance or some assets that will keep Ms. Adams out of their pocket. The first thing Farmer's probably did was search their policy holder records to see if the guy was a Farmers customer. I'd put good money on it that he's not.

It's a crummy, crappy, bureaucratic way to do business but that's how insurance companies operate. All of them. The larger the potential claim, the more they will find ways to try and dodge it. They will pay to resolve a minor fender bender because it's not worth the hassle to fight it. But make it a major accident and throw in some medical expenses, and the insurance company will dig in their heels and fight you tooth and nail to keep from writing the check.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 03:14:13 PM »
This case has received extensive attention in the Seattle media.  Farmers/Truck is receiving priceless bad publicity.  Insurance policies for decades have had 'intentional acts' exclusions, but extending that to an innocent third party victim is just ludicrous.  A lawsuit against the insurer was filed today.  It will be interesting to see if the case is subsequently settled, as I suspect it might be.  Farmers/Truck probably does not want this case to go up to the appellate level and create adverse case law for them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 12:00:59 AM »
I know I am shopping for auto/homeowner's insurance and Farmer's was one of the companies I will be checking out. Now I know to ask them specifically if non accidental crashes are covered.

I had a class in college in 1993 called 'traffic crash investigation'. Our instructor's first question to the class was "why do we call them 'crashes' or 'collisions' rather than 'accidents'" ?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 05:05:01 AM »
In today's (15 October 2005) Seattle media, there is a story that Farmers/Truck is 'reconsidering' the denial of coverage.  Of note, the insurer has apparently received 'hundreds' of angry calls and emails, and our state Insurance Commissioner is looking into the matter.  I still predict this will be settled in favor of the insured, and quickly, too.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 09:13:56 AM »
Excellent! Thanks for the update.

P95Carry

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 05:00:00 PM »
The logic here is impressively tortured, even for an industry known for exploiting technical loopholes
My cynicism is boundless when it comes to insurers wriggling out of things.  I know they need to make money but they also seem to rely on some very shakey ''technicalities'' - as well as hoping (they are usually right) that the 2 point small print will never be fully read.  

Most folks can't it's so small!
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 05:03:25 AM »
After just oodles and oodles of bad publicity, including national TV shows, hundreds of angry phone calls and emails locally, and an investigation by our state Insurance Commissioner, Farmers/Truck has had a change of heart.  Surprise, surprise!  The policyholder's claim will be covered, according to an article in this morning's (20 October 2005) Seattle Times.  

Local Farmers employees and agents are frothing at the mouth, seeing sales plummet and policy cancellations rise.  Clearly, Farmers corporate did not count on a routine claim denial to receive the publicity that it did, and the chord it would touch in the hearts of Joe and Jane Public.  

The other good thing about this incident is that it did expose a loophole in our state insurance laws, regarding the definition of an 'accident'.  Legislation will be introduced to fix this, thus making our state's laws consistent with that of most other states.

PS: I have had personal experience working with Farmers, although in the healthcare professional liability defense arena.  They have made some really poor choices there, as well.  I can think of two recent cases that I was involved with that resulted in 12 and 17 million dollar verdicts, respectively.

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 05:45:31 AM »
Local Farmers employees and agents are frothing at the mouth, seeing sales plummet and policy cancellations rise.  Clearly, Farmers corporate did not count on a routine claim denial to receive the publicity that it did, and the chord it would touch in the hearts of Joe and Jane Public.
No scruples or ethics, just the 'bottom line'.  Lying bastards.

p35

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 07:17:59 AM »
FWIW, Farmer's recently announced that it was all a big misunderstanding and they intended to pay the claim all along. Of course, this was after the Insurance Commissioner told them that he would yank their license to do business in this state if they didn't pay up!