Author Topic: Spec Ops unit attacked by ninja with a katana  (Read 1140 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Spec Ops unit attacked by ninja with a katana
« on: October 01, 2021, 06:03:54 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/01/1042487729/a-ninja-with-a-sword-assailed-a-u-s-army-special-operations-unit-in-california?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR2diNxdwItwgLmjr8l7BnAm-1npXt88l6sJ_Hzxn2ANlQSX7vePmYhZtWM

This was the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, which is famous for their helicopter operations.  Do you think they were just being nice in not shooting the ninja, or do they not have any weapons while training in CONUS?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:35:51 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Spec Ops unit attached by ninja with a katana
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 06:12:42 PM »
Meth is a hell of a drug.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 06:13:24 PM »
So the Spec Ops guys ran away from the Ninja?

I am disappointed...  :O

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »
The incident report quickly drew attention after it was posted on Instagram. It describes how a staff sergeant was smoking a late-night cigarette near an airport hangar when "an unknown person wearing full ninja garb" approached him with a question.

"Do you know who I am?" the man asked. The sergeant said he did not. "Do you know where my family is?" the man asked. When the sergeant said he did not know, "the person in ninja garb began to slash" at him with a katana sword, the report states, adding that the sergeant's leg and phone were struck.
Sounds like he either didn't know how to use the sword or it was dull. 

Police officers located the ninja suspect on a nearby road. But the man "refused to follow commands and brandished the sword at deputies," the sheriff's office said. Projectile rounds were used "but were ineffective," it added. Instead, the man ran. When deputies used a Taser on him, he dropped the sword, and deputies were able to take him into custody. He was identified as Gino Rivera, 35.
I can't believe he didn't win with this ninja sword and skills.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 09:20:12 PM »
So the Spec Ops guys ran away from the Ninja?

I am disappointed...  :O

Not really spec-ops.  Those are aviation guys.  Pilots, crew chiefs, gunners, mechanics, etc., not Rangers or Special Forces.

Millcreek, I doubt they had any weapons with them.  Peacetime training mission, so they didn't have a need to be armed.  Probably some risk manager Major decided that would be too dangerous.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 09:38:06 PM »
I have read books about them. They are considered Special Forces in helicopters.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/160th_Special_Operations_Aviation_Regiment_(Airborne)

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 09:55:59 PM »
"Probably some risk manager Major decided that would be too dangerous."

Ow.

"Sounds like he either didn't know how to use the sword or it was dull."

Most of the swords I've bought from the local knife/tobacco shop were not sharpened to a zero thickness edge, but maybe a 0.020" or less little flat edge.  They were ground to look sharp but actually weren't.  Could do damage with a full-strength stroke, but weren't the legendary razor sharp.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 10:20:11 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »
Look how chewed-up that cheap-ass blade is!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »

Millcreek, I doubt they had any weapons with them.  Peacetime training mission, so they didn't have a need to be armed.  Probably some risk manager Major decided that would be too dangerous.

I no *expletive deleted*it guarded a conex with a handful of Javelins, a bunch of AT4s, misc 40mm rnds and frags with an empty M9 one time.  Run of the mill training op.  Risk managers are idiots.

If someone rocked up and said hand over the goods, I'd have said "all yours".  If TPTB aren't going to take this seriously neither am I.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 10:25:15 PM »
???

HeroHog, I couldn't bring up that picture.  It was a link to a duckduckgo search list of URLs about sharpness.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 10:32:38 PM »
So the ninja attached himself to a special ops group?  I thought special ops groups were more selective than that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 10:40:41 PM »
That super glue is a thing.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 12:23:41 AM »
I no *expletive deleted*it guarded a conex with a handful of Javelins, a bunch of AT4s, misc 40mm rnds and frags with an empty M9 one time.  Run of the mill training op.  Risk managers are idiots.

If someone rocked up and said hand over the goods, I'd have said "all yours".  If TPTB aren't going to take this seriously neither am I.

If I were detailed to guard something while unarmed . . .  :facepalm: . . .  I'd run like hell at the first sign of trouble.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 03:29:44 AM »
???

HeroHog, I couldn't bring up that picture.  It was a link to a duckduckgo search list of URLs about sharpness.

It's ln the article link posted in the OP. Sorry.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 06:10:12 AM »
^ Oh, OK, I kind of expected that to be a pic in and of itself.

If I were detailed to guard something while unarmed . . .  :facepalm: . . .  I'd run like hell at the first sign of trouble.

One time, between real jobs, I worked as a night guard for a large security outfit.  I'll never forget at the training, the instructor mentioned that all you were was a walking pair of eyes, a walking pair of ears, and an index finger.

I got it right away, but someone raised his hand and asked what the index finger was for...

"To call the police," the instructor said matter of factly, everybody laughed, and he went on about how we weren't cops and not to get directly involved in incidents except as witnesses.

I'll never forget that one.

Terry, 230RN

There is no proof without evidence.
There is no evidence without investigation.
There is no investigation without suspicion.
But suspicion without proof is paranoid.
All nicely wrapped up, right?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 06:33:21 AM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 10:17:38 AM »
. . . One time, between real jobs, I worked as a night guard for a large security outfit.  I'll never forget at the training, the instructor mentioned that all you were was a walking pair of eyes, a walking pair of ears, and an index finger.

I got it right away, but someone raised his hand and asked what the index finger was for...

"To call the police," the instructor said matter of factly, everybody laughed, and he went on about how we weren't cops and not to get directly involved in incidents except as witnesses . . .

For those of us old enough to remember 9/11, think back to the days immediately after - with lots of worries about more impending attacks, there was a (very) brief time in which some utilities and other critical businesses were discussing guarding their facilities with volunteers.

In at least one case, a group of citizens had gathered to find out what they could do to help, and a spokesman (IIRC it was for some electric utility) gave them a rundown about watching the power plants, switching stations, etc. All was going well until someone in the audience asked whether the company was going to issue weapons or if they should bring their own.

The company spokesperson was horrified and told them that weapons were ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN for volunteers watching the facilities. This didn't go over well, and comments like "You just want us to be like canaries in a coal mine - when we die, you know there's a problem" whereupon the entire audience got up and walked out.

All this happened in just a couple of days after 9/11 and AFAIK it was never spoken of again in the media.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
So the ninja attached himself to a special ops group? 

No, I think it says the ninja attached them to something else. Very confusing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 11:24:59 AM »
???

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2021/10/01/ninja-sword_wide-192194020553e912f6fc4f23d5de08e381d48009-s800-c85.webp
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Spec Ops unit attacked by ninja with a katana
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
I don't think the blade is chewed up. I think it's sitting below the knap of the carpet, making it look as if the blade is ruined.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2021, 09:52:45 PM »
I don't think the blade is chewed up. I think it's sitting below the knap of the carpet, making it look as if the blade is ruined.

Ok, I can buy that. Shag huh, how many decades old IS that pic?
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 07:37:06 AM »
Not shag. Plush pile.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 10:28:14 PM »

This was stateside USMC,  They'd have figured out some way to make it my fault no matter how it ended..  I've got this crazy idea,  if you want me to guard your conex full of boom, maybe give me loaded mags for the M4 I've got to hump around at all times anyway?  I'll gleefully shoot any dumb bastard that wasn't smart enough to just shoot me while I'm sitting on my ass from a few hundred yards out.  Empty pistol?  This metal box of fun *expletive deleted*it is all yours.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2021, 11:34:40 PM »
This was stateside USMC,  They'd have figured out some way to make it my fault no matter how it ended..  I've got this crazy idea,  if you want me to guard your conex full of boom, maybe give me loaded mags for the M4 I've got to hump around at all times anyway?  I'll gleefully shoot any dumb bastard that wasn't smart enough to just shoot me while I'm sitting on my ass from a few hundred yards out.  Empty pistol?  This metal box of fun *expletive deleted*it is all yours.

Interesting.  Doing the guard thing around boomy stuff in the mid-70s, we always had ammo for our weapons.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 07:43:10 PM »
Interesting.  Doing the guard thing around boomy stuff in the mid-70s, we always had ammo for our weapons.

Ft. AP Hill,  reserve AT one fall.