Author Topic: Speaking of RAM, I need some...  (Read 1301 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Speaking of RAM, I need some...
« on: June 23, 2007, 11:01:57 AM »
Working on a donated machine to be used by an elderly stroke victim for speech therapy and I need two 256MB sticks of PC100 SDRAM.  I can pick it up for $15-20 on evilbay but wanted to see if anyone here on the board had some laying around and needed beer money.

Thanks!
Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Speaking of RAM, I need some...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »
Let me check, Brad.  I've got some old stuff laying around, but don't know if it's 256mb.

Edit:
Sorry Brad.  Just checked, it's a few 64mb sticks in a bag marked "Bad?".  I don't know the status of the stuff, whether it's actually bad or not.
Newegg.com, maybe? They've got some new 256mb PC133 for $27 a stick.  PC133 ought to work in a PC100 machine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 01:34:47 PM »
Mine also appears to be 64 Meg, 66 MHz.

Out of my old Gateway Celeron 366.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 02:03:11 PM »
DRAT!!!  I've two sticks of PC100 RAM I put in a friends machine before she finally retired it, but is only 128 MB/stick.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 03:34:02 PM »
PC133 128MB is the best I can do.

Ebay?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »
I might have some if you can wait till Monday for me to look at the stash. Is it that you only have two slots?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 11:58:21 PM »
As long as we're asking...

Anybody have any RDRAM sitting around?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 04:20:51 AM »
Jesus.
How old ARE these machines?
I'm about to be sick. D:
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 07:36:21 AM »
Brad, I'll have to look through my stash as well.  I know I have a stick or two of PC100  I don't recall their size. 

Funny, I just got a request to search for some SIMMs I know I have, for a client that wants to upgraded the memory on their LaserJet

I'll have to make a list of all the computer parts I have before I dump it off in a garage sale this summer.

If any board members have a need for it I'd rather make sure it went to a good home before I pretty much give it away to a stranger.
*I have some neat items like 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500, Voodoo3, and the 3TV video cards.*
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 07:46:41 AM »
I could give a 16M S.O. DIMM a good home, if anyone has one. 72 pin.

P.S.
I'll look through my stuff, too, and see what I have.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
I ended up having to go into work for a couple of hours today (dammit!!!!!!) and just checked. Closest I have is one 128meg/100 and two 256meg/133.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 08:18:12 AM »
256/133mhz should work fine in place of PC100, unless its a stinking Packtard Smell or something like that which needs some specific configuration of chips.

As long as we're asking...

Anybody have any RDRAM sitting around?
You have expensive tastes.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
RDRAM?

Yeesh.  I know what machines you're running. 

I populated my all my Xeon Dell and IBM workstations in the house with the 800Mhz RDRAM variety to 1 Gig each (not enough for APS geeks, I know), and felt poor afterwards.  RDRAM was a nice idea, but died a horribly expensive death after DDR came online. 

Which reminds me, I have several 128Mb sticks of PC-100/133 sitting around doing nothing.  Anybody have any spare DDR 400 for swap?

Veloce851, nice grab on that Voodoo5.  Those were some impressive video cards for their day, until OpenGL fell by the wayside. I remember playing Unreal Tournament on my Voodoo5 5500, and it was smooooth!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 04:34:59 AM »
It's a Dell Dimension L433cx.  Two slots, 256 MB max per slot.  I thought about using PC133 in it, but in a previous L4xx where PC133 was used I had some flaky problems that seemed to clear up with a swap to PC100.  But, hey, the thing is going to be used for basic e-mail and a little speech therapy program.  A minor glitch here and there won't hurt, I suppose.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 05:05:03 AM »
Brad -- if you decide you want to try the 256/133, PM me an address and I'll drop them in the mail.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 05:11:35 AM »
Ben,

PM sent.

Thanks!
Brad
-HankB