Author Topic: Special Needs Kids  (Read 3965 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
Special Needs Kids
« on: November 07, 2007, 08:27:49 AM »
Do any of you have experience with this?  I don't even know if this is the appropriate term.

My neighbors have a daughter in the 3rd grade.  She has severe allergies and asthma.  The school has a peanut free table in the lunch room for those with nut allergies which are some of the worst I guess.  There are several eppipens (sp) for her around the classroom and school provided by her parents.

Anyway, the daughter has been sick a lot this year and so the parents went to the school to check things out.  The teacher and administrators couldn't find the eppipens, the peanut free table was taken over by others due to overcrowding/lack of seating and the classroom was an experiment in dust mite propogation.  They really want to push the school to clean up their act which I agree with on one side (the eppipens and peanut table) but as far as keeping the school lab clean I think is a little over the top.

Another crux of the situation is that they don't want her labeled as a special needs child because then she will need to go to a different school I guess.

I realize it isn't my daughter so I am already in a compromised position.  What I would like is some wisdom and understanding in how to deal with this as a friend.

Len Budney

Re: Special Needs Kids
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:31:26 AM »
HOME SCHOOLING
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:43:31 AM »
Another crux of the situation is that they don't want her labeled as a special needs child because then she will need to go to a different school I guess.

Too late.  The special lunch table alone already has other kids thinking she's wierd. 

As for having multiple Epi-Pens all around the classroom, that's a bit much.  It's also not very smart.  Epi-Pens lose effectiveness after six months or so and simply having them strewn around the room doesn't necessarily mean they'll be used properly (or used at all, for that matter).

They need an Epi-Pen and a backup in identified locations - both classroom and lunch area.  If there are other rooms where the child will be during the day those rooms need an emergency kit as well.  They need her teacher(s) and two or three other key school personnel trained in the proper use of the pens in case of a reaction.  It needs to be personnel who are the most unlikely to all be gone at once.  And all that is in addition to alerting school medical personnel of the child's needs.

As for cleaning, schools are dirty.  There's no way around it.  Unless you have a janitor following each kid around mopping, dusting, and vacuuming 24/7, there's going to be dust and crud.  It's part of life when you have that many bodies in and out of such a small location.  If the parents are that worried about the kid being sick there is always home school.

However, my advice is stay completely out of it.  People get wierd when it comes to their kids, and they get wierder when it comes to sick kids.  It's best to let them handle it on their own.  Trying to help from the outside, even though well-intentioned, will invariably end up with you in the hot seat.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:54:33 AM »
Brad, thanks for the reply and my intention is to stay out of it.  I guess what I am looking for is how far does the school need to go?  I know the parents want them to go all the way.  No child left behind you know.

Does anyone know the stats of Peanut allergies?  I don't remember much as a kid and this is one thing I never even considered growing up in the 70's, I think we lived off peanut butter sandwiches, peanut butter on our pancakes, peanut butter chocolate rice krispy bars, yummmmmmm!

Is this a fairly recent phenomenon or are we just realizing it and it has been around forever.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:07:48 AM »
Do any of you have experience with this?  I don't even know if this is the appropriate term.

My neighbors have a daughter in the 3rd grade.  She has severe allergies and asthma.  The school has a peanut free table in the lunch room for those with nut allergies which are some of the worst I guess.  There are several eppipens (sp) for her around the classroom and school provided by her parents.

Anyway, the daughter has been sick a lot this year and so the parents went to the school to check things out.  The teacher and administrators couldn't find the eppipens, the peanut free table was taken over by others due to overcrowding/lack of seating and the classroom was an experiment in dust mite propogation.  They really want to push the school to clean up their act which I agree with on one side (the eppipens and peanut table) but as far as keeping the school lab clean I think is a little over the top.

I realize it isn't my daughter so I am already in a compromised position.  What I would like is some wisdom and understanding in how to deal with this as a friend.

The laws around this sort of thing can be very complicated.

First, the school is (unintentionally) playing a very dangerous game here, districts have been sued badly for things like that before in the past.

Second, you have to understand the school is absolutely overwhelmed with that kind of stuff.  At the beginning of every semester I used to get a 3" binder chock full of folders, forms, files, and notes on students who were diagnosed with various special needs, everything from diabetes to ADHD and back again.  All teachers are required to, by law, know each and every special needs' student medical conditions without knowing a blessed thing besides exactly what's in that file they're given, and they're required to absolutely adhere to a completely different set of guidelines for each and every student in that folder.  Yeah, that's really feasible, let me tell you.  Her epipen is probably lost in the shuffle of a huge pile of stuff the teachers are required to keep in the room.

Everyone's kid nowadays has some serious, disabling condition and the schools can't keep up, it's impossible.  The ADD cases alone are too much.  You send the kid to school at your own risk, is what I'm telling you.  I admit now that I used to prioritize this information.  A severe allergy to peanuts and diabetes and such things were something I'd pay the most attention to because that's a matter of safety and life and death, something which was a bona fide medical problem but not really dangerous like dyslexia got second priority, something like ADD or any other "disease" which could honestly have been cured by parental discipline was of the lowest priority.

Now I mentioned privacy before, which is a huge concern at schools, and the flip side of her situation is if they don't want it known she has this condition, well be careful what you wish for, because the people who work at the school will by and large not know.  That could be a problem depending on how allergic she really is.

But as for what you should do, listen to Mr. Johnson above.  He's exactly right.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »
Does anyone know the stats of Peanut allergies?  I don't remember much as a kid and this is one thing I never even considered growing up in the 70's, I think we lived off peanut butter sandwiches, peanut butter on our pancakes, peanut butter chocolate rice krispy bars, yummmmmmm!

Is this a fairly recent phenomenon or are we just realizing it and it has been around forever.

I don't know the stats, but it seems to be more common now than when I was a kid.  I heard the reason was the increased exposure to peanut products (PB, Peanut oil, etc).  Dunno if it's true, but it's about as good an explanation I've heard so far.  Asthma seems to be up as well, though it can also just be increased detection.  When I was in public school, I knew one or two people with it, now I know lots.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »
Quote from: Euclidean
something like ADD...which could honestly have been cured by parental discipline

I know I'm picking nits again, but if you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't be offering solutions.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 09:43:44 AM »
As for cleaning, schools are dirty.  There's no way around it.  Unless you have a janitor following each kid around mopping, dusting, and vacuuming 24/7, there's going to be dust and crud.  It's part of life when you have that many bodies in and out of such a small location.  If the parents are that worried about the kid being sick there is always home school.

New studies show that kids who were allowed to play in the dirt get sick a lot less than kids who are kept in a sterile home and never allowed to touch the ground.

That "dirt" helps them build immunities. And when you toss a kid with zero immunities into that, yeah, they become a sickly sort.

She has severe allergies and asthma.  The school has a peanut free table in the lunch room for those with nut allergies which are some of the worst I guess.

I don't mean to sound heartless, but the reason we're seeing more of that now is that they're simply surviving. It's often, it seems, just bad genetics. And in times past, they were just "sickly" and often didn't live past childhood. Now, they grow up and have more kids with the same genetic weaknesses.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 09:46:05 AM »

New studies show that kids who were allowed to play in the dirt get sick a lot less than kids who are kept in a sterile home and never allowed to touch the ground.

That "dirt" helps them build immunities. And when you toss a kid with zero immunities into that, yeah, they become a sickly sort.

I think the same study (or at least a similar one) says that the best dirt is around a farm/ranch.  Good to know 'cause I grew up on one.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 09:53:28 AM »
http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/fitness/articles/2006/01/30/peanut_allergy_epidemic_may_be_overstated/?page=1

Based on this article a lot of it is in your head, but the only way to test it is to try it.  It kind of reminds me of that discovery channel special on that little jelly fish and the divers that willingly exposed themselves.  Not me, I'm too much of a wuss.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 09:59:22 AM »

I'm not sold on that "theory".  My mom grew up in the country and certainly didn't live in a sterile home isolated from nature, yet she developed allergies later in life.  She has always been one to do a lot of yard work, gardening, etc.  My brother also grew up playing outside in the dirt, in the woods, etc, yet had terrible allergies as a kid.  Both my mom and brother took allergy shots for many years.  After years of playing outdoors, in the dirt, etc, I've developed seasonal allergies. 

Chris

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 10:03:02 AM »
Quote from: Euclidean
something like ADD...which could honestly have been cured by parental discipline

I know I'm picking nits again, but if you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't be offering solutions.

Chris

I know exactly what I'm talking about.  For every person who really does have ADD, there's 10 other people on meds for it.  It's fairly easy to tell who's who once you get the hang of it.

Go work at a school for one year and marvel at the sheer volume of people who supposedly have ADD.  I do believe there is a real disorder somewhere in the middle of that mess, but the etiology of the disorder is so poorly defined, and the benefits of being diagnosed as having it are so great to medical care providers, parents, and students, it's such that everyone and their dog suddenly has "ADD".

What are the symptoms of ADD?  Well I'm lazy so for the sake of brevity Wikipedia says this:

I. Either A or B:

A. Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

1. Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.
   2. Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.
   3. Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
   4. Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).
   5. Often has trouble organizing activities.
   6. Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).
   7. Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).
   8. Is often easily distracted.
   9. Often forgetful in daily activities.

B. Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

1. Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat.
   2. Often gets up from seat when remaining in seat is expected.
   3. Often runs about or climbs when and where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may feel very restless).
   4. Often has trouble playing or enjoying leisure activities quietly.
   5. Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor".
   6. Often talks excessively.

[edit] Impulsivity

1. Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished.
   2. Often has trouble waiting one's turn.
   3. Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or

All of the bolded traits I've highlighted describe me.  They described me even better when I was a kid, and you know what, they describe everybody and especially every kid.

The tragedy of the ADD phenomenon is that most parents should be paying attention to their kids, but instead of disciplining their kids and paying attention to their kids, they just put them on these drugs because that's less effort.  I've seen it, often, and it makes me sad.

Now sometimes there is that kid who has wonderful parents who still exhibits these problems.  I feel so bad for those parents, they try so hard to live with this nightmare, and they get lumped in with the pretenders which makes some people think they're disingenuous.  That's probably a legitimate case of some kind of developmental disorder.  But those cases are rare next to the bulk of them who would be cured by this approach.

You want a solution?  Don't look at me, look at the medical industry which profits from selling Ritalin and tell them to have some integrity and learn to diagnose things better instead of over medicating the general population for profit.  Look at the federal government and wonder why they extend so many protections to students diagnosed with ADD.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »

I'm not sold on that "theory".  My mom grew up in the country and certainly didn't live in a sterile home isolated from nature, yet she developed allergies later in life.  She has always been one to do a lot of yard work, gardening, etc.  My brother also grew up playing outside in the dirt, in the woods, etc, yet had terrible allergies as a kid.  Both my mom and brother took allergy shots for many years.  After years of playing outdoors, in the dirt, etc, I've developed seasonal allergies. 

Chris

The theory is pretty sound.  Being exposed to low-concentration amounts of viri and bacteria as a kid causes the immune system to develop and strengthen without overloading it.  Also, there are many viral diseases in livestock which are harmless to humans, but close enough biologically we develop antibodies against the human forms of the disease (example: cowpox/smallpox).  Does that mean you won't ever get sick?  No.  Just means the body has a change to develop more and stronger defenses.  IIRC there is also a critical age range for most of the exposure to take place.

As for allergies, they can develop any time.  Some allergies are inherited traits and can be lifelong.  Other allergies are created from repeated exposure to certain pathogens, irritants, products, etc. (example, someone who develops an allergy to insect stings even after a lifetime of not being bothered by them).  Some allergies, strangely enough, will manifest themselves during childhood but disappear when the child reaches puberty.

The strangest of all are the psychosomatic allergies - someone who believes so firmly they are allergic to something that actual physiological symptoms manifest themselves.  I see it from time to time in my profession.  Someone will walk through a house for an hour or two, perfectly happy and healthy.  But let them spot a cat leash, dog bowl, or a single spot of everyday mildew and in seconds their eyes swell up and water, they begin wheezing and sneezing, and actually break out in a rash.  Or worse.  Strange.

Brad
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 10:19:07 AM »
I fit most of those symptoms as well.  My parents, while not iron fisted tyrants, did impose a measure of discipline in my life via time-outs, grounding, corporal punishment, etc.  Sad thing is, I didn't even care about punishment.  My attitude was go ahead and punish me so we can get it over and move on.  The punishment, however severe, rarely had the desired effect.  I met with medical professionals, took Ritalin, etc.  In the end, the only solution was for me to get old enough and develop enough self-awareness to understand the situation and deal with it appropriately.  My brain is always zipping around at a mile a minute, making it hard for me to focus on any single thing.  Wanna know what works better than Ritalin?  Zoloft.  That stuff is teh shiznit.  Unfortunately, the weight gain sucks, so I won't take it anymore.

I think the poor parenting excuse gets tossed around too easily.

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 10:35:51 AM »
I think the poor parenting excuse gets tossed around too easily.
I would love to see a graph that shows the incidence of ADD correlated against the prevalence of homes where a parent stays home full-time (or only works while the kids are in school).  I would be willing to bet a dollar that as the number of homes with two working parents and homes with only one parent increased, the number of kids with ADD increased likewise.

I know that correlation does not equal causation, but it's not unreasonable to conclude that an actual parent that is home with his or her actual kid will pay closer attention to that kid's behavior than will a daycare worker to whom the kid's name might as well be 'paycheck'.   And a kid that is left undisciplined by a disinterested caretaker will not have unacceptable behavior trained out before it becomes a permanent habit.

One of the BrokenKids has Asperger's Syndome, and BrokenMa is at home full time.  He is in a modified course track in middle school, along with about 5 other kids with AS, and he's the most normal of the group.  I can't help but think that the fact that Ma is and always has been very involved in his upbringing has something to do with how high-functioning he is.

It's my wild-arse unsupported speculation that many of the behavioral disorders and syndromes that we see in kids may have a genetic or medical basis that inclines a kid a certain way, but that the nature of the parenting in the kid's early life goes a hell of a long way toward determining whether little Johnny ends up getting a grip on his issues, or ends up being written off to Ritalin because no one has the patience for him any more.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »
Well you of all people should realize exactly what I'm talking about.  I do believe that there does exist an ADD disorder.  I've met students who exhibited all those problems to a ridiculous degree whose parents absolutely hated putting their kid on medications.  I feel bad for them, because they wanted to help and couldn't but the drugs could.  Those are the parents who would call or email me daily or weekly and ask how their student was doing.

And what gets me is that the legitimate cases are much easier to deal with even when the symptoms can be severe.  The parents being involved makes all the difference, and those students are often receptive to compromise.  I had one kid who had that problem, and what solved it was changing up the class schedule, and also giving that student 4 minutes out of a 75 period class during which time he was allowed to walk to the end of the hall, take a drink of water, and walk back.  It didn't "cure" him obviously but it was enough to help him help me.  He refused to be a slave to his disorder and tried to fight it.  That's the kid who actually has a problem and deserves our support.  That kid actually came back and visited me in subsequent years because he said I was the only one who ever tried to help him not act out in class.

But the great bulk of these students were just fed pills to try to curb their behavior (it sort of works), you couldn't ever find their parents, and they could not be worked with at all.  The reality was that the kid knew good and well being ADD entitled them to get away with misbehaving.  And there you get into the real problem: the over abundance of these students means that students who have a real problem can't get the support they need to deal with their diagnosis.  The school is overwhelmed with trying to cope with these fakers.  For every one of the previous example, there's a dozen or more of these jokers.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 12:34:21 PM »
  I can't help but think that the fact that Ma is and always has been very involved in his upbringing has something to do with how high-functioning he is.

It's my wild-arse unsupported speculation that many of the behavioral disorders and syndromes that we see in kids may have a genetic or medical basis that inclines a kid a certain way, but that the nature of the parenting in the kid's early life goes a hell of a long way toward determining whether little Johnny ends up getting a grip on his issues, or ends up being written off to Ritalin because no one has the patience for him any more.

-BP

In my previous career I was a family therapist.  In my (former) professional opinion, you are correct.  Superior parenting goes a long way to treating any disorder or mental illness.  That being said, there are some children (and adults) that benefit from medication and may need it to function effectively.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
Ms. MillCreek works as an elementary school teacher and has a special ed endorsement.  From listening to her say many of the same things as Euclidean, I can tell that he has actual classroom experience as well.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JohnBT

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 03:22:03 PM »
"something like ADD...which could honestly have been cured by parental discipline"

That's one of the more ignorant statements I've seen. Now, maybe I've only seen the real ADD cases at work since I finished grad school in the early '70s, but the schools refer a lot of students, so I doubt it. I get to see the school psychological reports, the private psych reports, the psychiatric reports and in some cases the neuropsych reports, along with the majority of the school records, etc. Then I get to test them. They we work with them to get them jobs.

Are there instances of misdiagnosis, of course. But to claim what you did is downright silly.

As to the original question about peanuts, we've seen a dramatic increase in allergies of all sorts, and asthma as well.

John

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 09:16:13 PM »
Most of the responses in this thread make me ill.

Almost noone in here knows what the spit they are talking about.

My wife's a special education teacher; she deals with this daily.  She, instead of complaining about children, parents, and their upbringing is working to do something to help these kids; she does something about it.  She makes it a personal mission

Peanut allergies are real, and they can be as deadly as a bee sting to some children.  A peanut free area is a necessity for these children.

Children under the auspices of a special education program must have an IEP detailing what that child needs.
If this child has an IEP, and the school is ignoring it, here's what you or your friend does:
First, you'll want to request a meeting with the child's school to go over the IEP.  Chances are, there's a misunderstanding somewhere that can be rectified easily.

If that's not the case, then what you'll need to do differs by state. Usually it involves going to the district.

The key here, is the parents need to be vigilant about their child's education.  IF they have the slightest inctling that their child isn't getting what they need, they need to get with the school and fast, and loudly.

Also, this differs by state, but unless the child is severely disabled, most of these things can be done at her normal school, and again, depending by state, the law might mandate it.

EDIT:  OK I got a bit unwound 
If any of you folks have real questions about any of this stuff, I'd love to pass the questions on to my wife.  She's pretty passsionate about this stuff (and via osmosis, I guess I am, too)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

auschip

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 04:51:01 AM »
Most of the responses in this thread make me ill.

Almost noone in here knows what the spit they are talking about.

My wife's a special education teacher; she deals with this daily.  She, instead of complaining about children, parents, and their upbringing is working to do something to help these kids; she does something about it.  She makes it a personal mission

Peanut allergies are real, and they can be as deadly as a bee sting to some children.  A peanut free area is a necessity for these children.

Children under the auspices of a special education program must have an IEP detailing what that child needs.
If this child has an IEP, and the school is ignoring it, here's what you or your friend does:
First, you'll want to request a meeting with the child's school to go over the IEP.  Chances are, there's a misunderstanding somewhere that can be rectified easily.

If that's not the case, then what you'll need to do differs by state. Usually it involves going to the district.

The key here, is the parents need to be vigilant about their child's education.  IF they have the slightest inctling that their child isn't getting what they need, they need to get with the school and fast, and loudly.

Also, this differs by state, but unless the child is severely disabled, most of these things can be done at her normal school, and again, depending by state, the law might mandate it.

EDIT:  OK I got a bit unwound 
If any of you folks have real questions about any of this stuff, I'd love to pass the questions on to my wife.  She's pretty passsionate about this stuff (and via osmosis, I guess I am, too)

Incidentally, the parent should have been involved with the initial ARD/IEP.  If they aren't living up to the IEP, then they need to have a meeting with the IEP team pronto.  My wife doesn't have any kids with peanut allergies, but there are a couple in her school (Jr. High).  They did send out a file on each kid with allergies, but I'm not aware that they issued epi-pens to each teacher.

She heads up the Dyslexia program on her campus, as well as teaching reading enrichment (reading to kids who are either behind, or have reading disabilities).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 04:55:10 AM »

And what happens when they grow up and have kids? Who have "life-threatening" allergies to peanuts, and dust mites, and pet hair, and cleaning chemicals, latex, certain metals and...um...oxygen?

Just from an objective standpoint, I have to wonder what the hell we're doing to Western civilization in the long run by derailing evolution so badly among our population. 

Within three generations, I swear, an enemy could wipe out a city by releasing a cloud of ground peanut dust in an urban center.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 05:32:30 AM »
I have to disagree with the "dirt" theory as far as food allergies go.  My SIL is in her late thirties and never had a problem with nuts until last year.  Now she needs an Epi-Pen in case she goes into anaphylactic shock.  It happened after a flu episode; my "hypothesis" is that the allergy was always there on a very low level, but when the body was fighting an infection the exposure to the allergen put the immune system on hypervigilance.  After that, any exposure triggers a massive immune response.  As children's immune systems are less developed than those of adults, the response mistake is more likely to happen.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

atomd

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 05:43:27 AM »
It's nice to know that a school didn't just ban peanuts and had a lunch table that was a peanut free table instead. At the schools I went to peanut products are now banned entirely. Oh, and they are also banning brownies and cupcakes too because of the peanut thing as well. At this rate, pretty soon you're going to have to send your kids to school with distilled water and a bowl of some peanut-free, gluten-free, soy-free, and wheat free mush. 2000 students shouldn't be banned from bringing their favorite sandwich to school just because ONE student has an allergy. It's that one student's problem and they should have to deal with it, not everyone else around them.

As far as the ADHD thing goes, public school are overcrowded and a kid can share a classroom with 40 other kids and one teacher. Now IF your child has ADHD or another learning disability, he/she will be in a different class with a much better teacher student ratio along with other perks as well. I'm not saying ADHD doesn't exist. It does. I've seen it in action and it can be pretty bad..and for the parents too. I just think that some people are resorting to special needs to get their child special attention and the "doctors" are far to quick to diagnose something, write that prescription and go back to their golf game. Ok, I have to stop typing now to go take my placebo for my restless leg syndrome. It makes me feel much better.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 06:04:37 AM »
And what happens when they grow up and have kids? Who have "life-threatening" allergies to peanuts, and dust mites, and pet hair, and cleaning chemicals, latex, certain metals and...um...oxygen?
Just from an objective standpoint, I have to wonder what the hell we're doing to Western civilization in the long run by derailing evolution so badly among our population. 
Within three generations, I swear, an enemy could wipe out a city by releasing a cloud of ground peanut dust in an urban center.

Um, who are you to decide what's evolutionary useful and what's not?  Should we start killing off sickly children?  What about those who aren't strong enough, can't run fast, enough, or have other childhood issues?  What about the ones who don't have blonde and blue eyes?

My mom couldn't carry a pregnancy to term.  Both my brother and I were born 2months premature.  This was in the 70s when preemies didn't fair as well as they do today.  I was lucky, my only issues were a minor heart defect (correctable by surgery) and some lung issues that manifest themselves in an increased susceptibility to bronchitis, upper respiratory infections, etc.  Little bro wasn't so lucky and ended up having a stroke that damaged the left side of his brain.  He has limited mobility of the muscles in his right side. 

Neither one of us wouldve survived your eugenics program, I mean evolution, but both of us managed to survive childhood and are doing quite well for ourselves, despite cheating Darwin.  Even with my faulty genetics, I was able to earn a Master's degree, earn my own way, start a family, and am quite athletic (despite lungs that aren't as good as most).  Little bro is currently working on his Master's and has a near 4.0 average.  Stupid frail people...angry

Chris