Author Topic: Blackwater really really screwed up...  (Read 6763 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Blackwater really really screwed up...
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »
Xe Services, formerly Blackwater, just settled 288 ITAR violations.   Some of them are exceedingly stunning in their stupidity.  They engaged in defense services and unlicensed brokering with the Sudan, which is a proscribed country (legally same as providing services to say, Cuba or North Korea).  The insanely stupid part?  They admitted to breaking US law in their application to ask for permission to do business in said proscribed country.  So, State sends them a letter basically stating "You just admitted to breaking the law.  Kindly explain what you actually did."   What's the smart thing to do when caught breaking the law?   Lie!  And then blatantly lie some more!   Because the US government loves when you do that.

They had 16 directed disclosures, which I think is a new record.   A directed disclosure is when the State Department says, "I *KNOW* you did this.  You will fess up, explain how you screwed up, and how you intend on fixing it."

Also on the list is missing firearms (overseas, well over a hundred), which they failed to report.  Giving foreign nationals access to ITAR technical data without a license.  Providing defense services (firearms training) to foreign nationals without a license.  Failing to adher to provisios on Agreements that were issued.  Example?   They provided training to the Taiwan National Security Bureau.  One proviso on the defense services agreement was that they had to provide biographical information on the persons being trained to US Special Operations Command.   They declined to do so.   The list is breathtaking in its stupidity.

Here's the list of proposed charges:  http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/consent_agreements/pdf/Xe_PCL.pdf

Total fine?  $42 million.   Not so bad, right?   Yeah, and loss of all export privileges unless related to a US government program.  Each and every US government program will be reviewed by the Director of DDTC (State Department agency that handles this) on a case by case basis.  

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/consent_agreements/pdf/Xe_ConsentAgreement.pdf
http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/consent_agreements/pdf/Xe_Order.pdf

They're done.  And they admit it, the company is for sale and no one wants to buy it as they'd absorb all liability.  

I was briefed in on this situation earlier in the week.  A room full of us were visibly wincing as the lawyer went charge by charge.  Considering how many contracts we have signed with Xe Services and all their shell corporations, this is gonna make my life very friggin fun for weeks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:03:14 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Blackwater really really screwed up...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 03:11:33 PM »
Blackwater has always been a company full of criminals and dolts.

Most of the contractors are people who couldn't handle the discipline and "doing what you're told" aspects of the military, but still wanted to be badasses with guns.

*expletive deleted*ck blackwater, and mercenaries like them.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »

I don't make personal judgments of clients*.  So I wouldn't particularly care, except now I have to read a couple hundred pages of legal papers and figure out how they apply to any contracts we have signed with Blackwater shell companies.

(Well, unless it involves blatant criminal acts.  That can be problematic.)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »

Most of the contractors are people who couldn't handle the discipline and "doing what you're told" aspects of the military, but still wanted to be badasses with guns.

*expletive deleted* blackwater, and mercenaries like them.

I understand your sentiment but my understanding is that Xe is almost entirely comprised of former US military and many former SF types.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
The ones i've met were cowboys and individuals, not quiet professionals. Lots of people who left the military after one/two terms and joined up with them

YMMV
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
if you are gonna screw up go big or don't go at all
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
I understand your sentiment but my understanding is that Xe is almost entirely comprised of former US military and many former SF types.

I'm a vet, and I like to think I run a pretty decent export control compliance program.  Has a long way to go, of course, but it's progressing nicely.   I spoke with a number of folks at DDTC who do compliance and quite a number of them are veterans as well.   I'll admit that export control laws can be cumbersome (as an understatement), but any company that is nearly exclusively engaged in defense services should be familiar with the rules.  That was also DDTC's point. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »

Oh, forgot.  Their CEO has uh, relocated his primary residence to Abu Dhabi

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
Oh, forgot.  Their CEO has uh, relocated his primary residence to Abu Dhabi

Let me guess...no extradition?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
Let me guess...no extradition?

Jamis beat me to the keyboard on that one. What other reason might he have for "wanting" to live there?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Jamis beat me to the keyboard on that one. What other reason might he have for "wanting" to live there?

Probably he saw "Sex in the City 2 Movie', fell in love with the place, and decided to move there.  What other reason could there possibly be?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
the company is for sale
Time to open the APS gun club! 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »

I am told the country is ... interesting if you are very wealthy.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »
I am told the country is ... interesting if you are very wealthy.

Define "interesting".

O God, O God, we're all gonna die?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 08:44:48 PM »
Define "interesting".

As in, most of the restrictions/problems that apply to the average citizen don't really matter.

O God, O God, we're all gonna die?

[/quote]
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »
Erik Prince hasn't been CEO for almost 2 years now.  He's still the Chairman, and owner, of course.

I'm pretty sure this is old news, though.  I remember reading this in the WSJ some time in August.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »
It's stuff like this that makes me long for the days of the Hessians and the Swiss Guard....they knew how to run a mercenary outfit....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »
After doing some reading on the financial side of warfare in Europe from the fall of Rome until the 18th century, I have determined national armies have been the exception, rather then the rule.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »
Kinda sucks, I met some of the principals and shot there a lot before the place went hugely bigtime, I think the original folks were generally okay guys. A case of reach exceeding grasp and growing too fast if there ever was one. Hopely someone with guns will buy the Moyock portion, insane facility.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 11:05:49 PM »
Kinda sucks, I met some of the principals and shot there a lot before the place went hugely bigtime, I think the original folks were generally okay guys. A case of reach exceeding grasp and growing too fast if there ever was one. Hopely someone with guns will buy the Moyock portion, insane facility.

Wouldn't be surprised if they started auctioning off assets in the semi-near future.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »
It's stuff like this that makes me long for the days of the Hessians and the Swiss Guard....they knew how to run a mercenary outfit....  :cool:

Well... In Blackwater/Xe's defense, the Prussian/English versions of the ITAR rules were pretty easy to follow back then. The Americans had better technology than they did. (rilfles)  =)

*expletive deleted* blackwater, and mercenaries like them.

I suspect that there are other companies out there who do follow the rules, and as such you just don't hear much about them.
I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 07:15:30 AM »
Define "interesting".

"Interesting" = "Sex-positive."
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
After doing some reading on the financial side of warfare in Europe from the fall of Rome until the 18th century, I have determined national armies have been the exception, rather then the rule.
Not that far off actually. Aside from a very small force, unless you were actively engaged in war a standing army was expensive and provided little or no benefit.

And you could make a lot better money being good with a sword or a spear than you could in the field.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if they started auctioning off assets in the semi-near future.

Their midwest training facility is in someone else's hands now.  No idea how that's related to Blackwater's problems.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 12:59:21 PM »
Interesting thread about Blackwater from a forum with a lot of current/former SF guys:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-15027.html