Author Topic: New computer question from Mrs 280...  (Read 3625 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
New computer question from Mrs 280...
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
And I quote, " What kind of processor should I get in a new desktop that will be speedy and compatible with Microsoft Office 2007?"

Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: New computer question from Mrs 280...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
Pretty much anything current.  I have an AMD FX4100.  It isn't flashy or even particularly fast by current standards, but it was cheap, overclocks nicely, and runs cool.  Windows 7 has been out long enough that any newish processor is well ahead of what you need to run it well.  Office 2007 isn't a processor hog in terms of current processors either. 

You'd probably get a better performance boost by saving money on the processor and getting a good SSD for your OS and Apps.

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
It doesn't make any difference.  Really.  An Atom processor would do good enough for Office 2007. 
Play it safe and get a middle-of-the-pack Intel processor.  (this is for a laptop, right?) 
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
FWIW, my work laptop has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz processor with 4gig of RAM running Win7 Enterprise and Office 2010.  No problems here.

Get the cheapest of the current processors, 8gig of RAM, and an SSD for the OS and Apps and you'll be smoking with regards to Office 2007.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:32 PM »
She's now interested in a desktop because she hears they are more reliable and easier to fix. Steer us somewhere?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »
Lots of good deals on HP machines around.  If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on Slickdeals.net.

I built my current machine: Asus motherboard with AMD FX4100 (4 core 3.6ghz) processor, 8gig RAM (can upgrade to 16, but I never use more than 5), used existing 500mb and 1tb drives, an XFX Radeon 6770 video card, and a Zalman Z9 case with two 140mm top exhaust fans (in addition to the front intake and rear exhaust fans).  Power supply isa  PC Power and Cooling 650watt unit.  With the CPU overclocked to 4.3ghz, idle temp is 29-30c in a 24c ambient temp room.  Running TF2 at max settings only gets the CPU up to 50c for the duration of game play, even while running a Linux VM in the background. 

That system is not at all high-end or special, but it'll do anything the average user needs to do without breaking a sweat.  It runs cool, so it'll last.  It's very flexible, so I can expand it as needed.  The FX4100 is a low end CPU by today's standards, but was blazing fast compared to what was around when Win7 first hit the market (and the mobo supports much faster CPUs).  I think I have about $500 into it not counting the monitor. 

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
She's now interested in a desktop because she hears they are more reliable and easier to fix. Steer us somewhere?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3420508&CatId=5138
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
It doesn't make any difference.  Really.  An Atom processor would do good enough for Office 2007. 

This.

I installed Office 2010 (the college-student Pro version, with Access as well as the rest of the standard Office programs) on my 3-year-old HP Mini 311 (Atom single-core 1.67GHz proc, 3GB RAM, IIRC I installed a 320GB 7200rpm HDD in place of the 160GB 5400rpm it came with; OS is Win 7 Home Premium), a couple of years ago. It runs like a top. Actually, there's no particularly-noticeable difference between running Office on that, and running the same suite on my new Sager desktop-replacement laptop (Ivy Bridge i7-3610Q, 16GB RAM, 750GB 7200rpm HDD, Win 7 Home Premium - I can get Win 8 for $15, but while I might get it, it won't go on the new laptop). Office should run pretty well on just about any modern computer. I'd echo Chris' sentiments and aim for an Core i5-processor system, if you can get one without going out of your budget (and I'd think you could - at worst, an upper-end i3). Load up on RAM, up to 8GB like he said, the SSD might be overkill and will raise the system price compared to a mechanical HDD but will unquestionably be faster - it's on my own upgrade track for the Sager, sometime relatively soon, as the boot drive. I've an HP laptop that's hanging in remarkably well, for its age (~4 years), but HPs do come with a metric butt-ton of bloatware. Been a while since I've seen what Dells come with, but I recall them being pretty high-fat as well. Really, any cheap computer you get is likely to be infested with at least a moderate amount of bloatware, I think.

Me, I wouldn't be comfortable with less than about a 240GB SSD as primary unless I had a largish mechanical secondary-app/data drive to back it up; if it were the only drive in the system, a ~240GB SSD would be the smallest I'd consider (I'd WANT more...), and I don't think I'd go below ~120GB regardless, because stuff WILL go on the SSD. Pics, music, programs...

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
And I quote, " What kind of processor should I get in a new desktop that will be speedy and compatible with Microsoft Office 2007?"

Bunch of nerds.  Remember who is asking the question.

Tell her to get the blue one because it makes her look skinny.

stay safe.

PS - Another time when I will not be ducking and running.  I have plenty of time to get to the bunker and lock myself in.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:15:27 AM »
Bunch of nerds.  Remember who is asking the question.

Tell her to get the blue one because it makes her look skinny.

That was the gist of the first sentence in my first response. :P

We're at that point in the OS cycle where any new machine will have plenty of power to run the *standard* OS (currently Win7).  We'll be on the left side of that bell curve when Win8 becomes standardized.  A couple years later, we'll be where we are now with any new machine more than adequate for the task.

Point is, unless you have specific needs, go to your nearest vendor and buy the cheapest machine with decent reviews and warranty.  If you're getting a laptop, buy one that allows you to add some RAM as most of the cheap ones only come with 2gig (really need at least 4 for Win7) and get the extended warranty, especially if it covers drops, spills, etc.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
va-I linked her to here so lockdown FAST!!  :laugh:

so she went to wally world and bought an HP with: amd quad core A6-3650 8gb DDR3 1TB  I'm sure that means more to you guys than it does to me

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
It means she's set for a good while. :)

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »
It doesn't make any difference.  Really.  An Atom processor would do good enough for Office 2007.  
Play it safe and get a middle-of-the-pack Intel processor.  (this is for a laptop, right?)  

Office runs fine on my netbook, on those rare occasions I boot the Win 7 side.  You can't get lower end than that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:37:17 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 11:29:58 AM »
It means she's set for a good while. :)

Chris
Coooooollllll.....  =D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
And once again thanks to you all for the help!  ;)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
va-I linked her to here so lockdown FAST!!  :laugh:

so she went to wally world and bought an HP with: amd quad core A6-3650 8gb DDR3 1TB  I'm sure that means more to you guys than it does to me

That'll be more than fine.

Hello Mrs 280plus, good to talk to you again. We spoke once when I needed the directions to the nuclear weapons facility.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
I'm drawing a blank on the nuke facility rev.  ???

=D

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
I'm drawing a blank on the nuke facility rev.  ???

=D

Er. Yea! My mistake. It was a Waffle House. Yep. Waffle House, great hash browns too. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
Never made it to waffle house either. The MT Cobb Diner maybe? Good pancakes too. ;-)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »
Meanwhile the missus is all hooked up and happy now. There is peace in the valley, for now...  :laugh:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
Never made it to waffle house either. The MT Cobb Diner maybe? Good pancakes too. ;-)

WAFFLE HOUSE. WE WERE AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE AND STILL HAVE THE RECEIPTS TO PROVE IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
No way, I've never been to a waffle house ever in my whole life. Sad but true. We were GOING to the WH in Clark Summit for the Centralia trip but I never made it. I b'leive you're confusing me with someone else.  =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »
No way, I've never been to a waffle house ever in my whole life. Sad but true. We were GOING to the WH in Clark Summit for the Centralia trip but I never made it. I b'leive you're confusing me with someone else.  =)

It's been nice knowin' ya....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »
 :lol:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
This just came in the email today:  http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=GX620DT-PD30-MAR-2R 

Windows 7 Home Premium desktop system for $135.  (that's an older-technology dual-core processor.)  The software license by itself is worth that.
"It's good, though..."