Author Topic: Where "respect my authoritah" and "officer safety" meet  (Read 2165 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Where "respect my authoritah" and "officer safety" meet
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
That's when police said five-year veteran Matthew Marin fired his gun at Claunch, shooting him in the head.

Head shot.

That's pretty deliberate.  Not reflexive out of ossifer safety.  It's a damned hard target to hit against a bobbing adversary.  High risk shot.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:56:50 PM »
Wheelchair dude was trying to stab the officer. This officer had a shoot in the past, too- shot a guy who was stabbing his neighbor back in '09.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
Folk get persnickety about stabbing
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
Folk get persnickety about stabbing
[/quote

'Specially with an assault pen. Damn things oughta be outlawed.

Just calling 911 these days is damn dangerous.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »
First of all, the officer didn't know it was a pen. Second of all, with a pen you can still stab somebody pretty damn good. You want to go wrestle in the dark with somebody trying to stab you with an unknown object? Go right on ahead...

You know, not trying to stab the officer with an object is likely a much better choice than trying to stab the officer with anything.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:15:29 PM by Avenger29 »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
The shooter was not the one the guy in the wheelchair was attempting to stab.  The shooter was acting as back-up/cover officer and reacted to seeing the wheelchair guy do something to the primary officer.  From what little actual facts I can find about the scene and what was happening it seems the primary officer was not in a position to just step away from wheelchair guy.

Most folks at this point are Monday-morning quarterbacking the incident rather than trying to understand what happened and determine why the two cops did what they did.  Hopefully the legal process they find themselves in will try to do that instead of Monday-morning quarterbacking.  Sadly, I have a very low expectation of that happening.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »
Everyone's a Monday morning quarterback . . . and yes, everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty - including police officers involved in shootings.

I've heard some officers vigorously defending the cop's actions . . . including one who's now a commentator on the local radio scene.

But let me pose this question, aimed at sworn Law Enforcement Officers:

If I, as an able bodied, reasonably fit Texas Concealed Handgun License holder, while accompanied by a second person of the same general type, shoot and kill a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair who's only armed with a pen, exactly how will you treat me if you're the responding officer, when I claim self defense?

Since I don't carry a badge, under these circumstances what kind of treatment could I expect from the criminal justice system, for head-shooting an unarmed cripple in a wheel chair?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »
Hmm, a guy in a wheelchair should have made an easy taser target.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
Hmm, a guy in a wheelchair should have made an easy taser target.

Nah, too risky, might kill him....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
Nah, too risky, might kill him....

Actually it's against HPD policy to taser an armed suspect.  I heard the police chief state that the other day when discussing the incident with the media.  A lot of departments have this policy.  I remember when tasers were bought that their purpose was to minimize police shootings and save the lives of both police officers and suspects.  I will say this is the first I've heard of there being two officers on scene and I've had to listen to the local radio/tv reports constantly since it happened.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:14 PM »
schizoid folks can be a handful. on 2 separate occasions i thought i might have to kill lil bro before he got regular with meds.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »
Everyone's a Monday morning quarterback . . . and yes, everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty - including police officers involved in shootings.

I've heard some officers vigorously defending the cop's actions . . . including one who's now a commentator on the local radio scene.

But let me pose this question, aimed at sworn Law Enforcement Officers:

If I, as an able bodied, reasonably fit Texas Concealed Handgun License holder, while accompanied by a second person of the same general type, shoot and kill a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair who's only armed with a pen, exactly how will you treat me if you're the responding officer, when I claim self defense?

Since I don't carry a badge, under these circumstances what kind of treatment could I expect from the criminal justice system, for head-shooting an unarmed cripple in a wheel chair?

This.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »
Actually it's against HPD policy to taser an armed suspect.  I heard the police chief state that the other day when discussing the incident with the media.  A lot of departments have this policy.  I remember when tasers were bought that their purpose was to minimize police shootings and save the lives of both police officers and suspects.  I will say this is the first I've heard of there being two officers on scene and I've had to listen to the local radio/tv reports constantly since it happened.

That policy is to prevent a do-gooder cop from trying to less lethally subdue an attacker that should be shot in the first place (a good example is a mope with a gun waving it around and refusing to drop it- shoot with bullets, not a taser or pepper spray). If someone's trying to kill you, with you being either a cop or non-LE, then you don't need to be trying for a less-lethal or non-lethal option. The threat needs to be decisively neutralized ASAP.

A good time for a taser is when you're trying to subdue a combative person who does not have a deadly weapon in his hand and there is some distance between you and the guy. less threat of a gun grab attempt or sudden stick of a sharp instrument, more of a chance to knock the guy out of the fight without resorting to harsher means.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:11:47 PM by Avenger29 »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »
Would the Tueller Drill apply here?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »

I don't know. The distance would need to be reviewed. 

Since he had the one officer penned against the wall stabbing at him with "something", I can see why the gun was used.  The only way i see a taser as useful is if he was still at some distance and the backup guy had a gun. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »

Remember the Tueller drill is not a rule of any type and should not be used as such, it's a demo of how fast someone can get to you and start *expletive deleted* you up before you can react and defend even if they seem to be "at a distance". You average indoor residential situations are usually going to be within those distances.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »
This sounds too much like "I shot him because it was convenient and I can get away with it; I've done it before".

The disparity of force here is off the charts.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
This sounds too much like "I shot him because it was convenient and I can get away with it; I've done it before".

The disparity of force here is off the charts.
IMO, that is only first glance perception "OMG, a double amputee was shot". 

The normal handler couldn't handle him and called the cops.  So he wasn't just a weak old man.  If it turned out he really had a knife and cut on the cop, what would you say then? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

purequackery

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
Wouldn't that be a perfect scenario for using a baton?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.  —Bob Newhart

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
Wouldn't that be a perfect scenario for using a baton?

Pure speculation here, but if the primary officer could not back away/fend off/defend with the baton I'm betting the covering officer, who was the one who shot, could not get in there effectively.

Yes, on the surface shooting a double amputee in a wheelchair because he may or may not have been stabbing (or stabbing at) the other cop sounds bad.  It is not until you start pulling the situation apart and seeing why easily proposed alternative responses may not have been viable that you can come to any conclusion about the appropriateness of the action.  And we are woefully lacking in facts to be able to do that.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
batons are not pc anymore

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
batons are not pc anymore
Do they even routinely carry them anymore? 

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »
yea  just not allowed to use them outside of very narrow parameters and techniques.   kinda denatured

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »
I once stopped a guy in a wheelchair from mugging an elderly lady in San Francisco, I was very tempted to take his chair-or at least dump him out of it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."