Author Topic: Rib rubs...  (Read 2392 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Rib rubs...
« on: September 02, 2006, 11:45:52 AM »
How do you folks around the country and or world prepare your baby backs for the smoker? I'm looking for new ideas.

My latest marinade concoction consists of:

Apple cider vinegar
Lemon juice
OJ
Honey
Brown sugar
A little bits a cayenne peppuh
Black pepper
Chopped onion
Chopped garlic
Oregano
Thyme

Tomorrow before I put them on the grill  I'll hit them with a little:
Adobo seasoning (Goya for example)(contains the only salt I'll use)
Black pepper
Thyme
Garlic powder

I'll let them go over a small tinfoil covered lump charcol fire ~3 hours
and then I think I'll finish them with a little OJ, honey and brown sugar.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Rib rubs...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 01:27:28 PM »
Dunno about rub, but this is the BBQ sauce we use...
Bar-B-Que Sauce
4 teaspoons dry mustard (used regular mustard if you don't have dry)
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup ketchup
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup worchestshire sauce
1/4 lb butter (stick)
2 teaspoons black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan on the stove on low heat until butter is melted and well combined.
It's whoatastic.
We don't buy any anymore.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Rib rubs...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:08:42 PM »
Too complicated!
Sprinkle on some paprika. When the flames start to get feisty, shake up a beer and spray them into submission.
End of recipe.

280plus

• friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 03:01:37 PM »
LOL,,,Yea that sounds much simpler  Cheesy

Chuck Dye

Rib rubs...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:13:31 PM »
Not rubs, but here are two killer marinades from the family collection:

HONGOS EN CHIPOTLES
Mushrooms in Chipotle Sauce

1 pound bite sized mushrooms.  Small buttons or criminis are good.  Larger shrooms can be quartered or coarsely cubed.  Portobellos  are excellent!

1 large onion, sliced.

¼ to ½ cup chopped parsley or cilantro or blend.

1 teaspoon each thyme and oregano.

1 small can chiles chipotles adobados, chopped.  (The SMALLEST, 60gm size!)

1 dry chipotle, chopped.

1 small can tomato sauce.

Salt to taste.

Sauté the onion and mushrooms til barely tender in butter and/or olive oil.  Stir in all other ingredients, simmer til tender.  Serve hot with corn chips and/or cocktail size tortillas.

Time is saved and little lost if the tomato sauce, chilies, thyme, and oregano are blended in a blender.

All quantities are to taste!  More shrooms, onions, and tomato sauce (or added chopped tomatoes) make a milder dip.  More chipotles, hotter.

Made with extra tomatoes (the tomatos acid cools the fire), this is the best of mushroom omelet fillings!

Blended to a coarse paste or thick liquid, this is also a terrific marinade and basting sauce for chicken and ribs.

THAI DYE CHICKEN

Blend:
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup oyster sauce
¼ cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup melted butter

Marinate whole chicken legs-thigh and drumstick- overnight.  Bake 1 hour, basting with marinade.

Enhancements/variations:
   Blend marinade in a blender, adding, to taste:
      2 inch piece fresh ginger and/or
      1 or 2 fresh serrano chilies

This works very well for ribs and kebabs, has been known to seriously overpower fish.  The butter may be omitted without serious effect.

Chuck Dye

Rib rubs...
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 04:16:27 PM »
Ooops!  Forgot to recommend www.fooddownunder.com" target="_blank">www.fooddownunder.com.  Almost too much info.  I find I rarely use a recipe as posted but draw bits and pieces from several.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Rib rubs...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 04:21:13 PM »
I am a red-blooded American man.  I like meat.  Yet I don't barbecue, and have no plans on learning how.  Don't even have a grill.  Is there something wrong with me?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 04:34:05 PM »
Is there something wrong with me?
Short answer......yes.

Long answer........yeeeeeeessssss.

bob

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 04:57:12 PM »
I do a dry rub,

I use brown sugar, garlic, paprika, sage, black pepper, onion powder, cayanne pepper, dry mustard, and anything else I see in the cupboard that looks like it will work.

Rub the slabs of ribs, reseal in their foodsaver pouch and then back onto the fridge for a day or two.

I then smoke them for 6 or so hours over a mixture of Jack Daniel's chips and cherry chips. I make my own Barbeque sauce. I take the ribs from the smoker, to the sauce and then into a 300 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes to set the sauce.

I can use the same for a brisket, except my sauce is quite a bit spicier than it is for ribs.

I recently did some ribs and brisket for a friend's going away party. My smoker was going for about 30 hours to get everything done. But it was worth every second!

bob

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Rib rubs...
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 06:50:07 PM »
Quote from: BobR
Short answer......yes.

bob
Bob, you owe me a Tecate. And some brisket. Cheesy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Rib rubs...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 08:15:11 PM »
Quote from: BobR
Short answer......yes.

If your wife could cook like mine, maybe you wouldn't bother to grill, either.  Smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 01:23:02 AM »
If your wife could cook like mine, maybe you wouldn't bother to grill, either.
And if YOUR wife cooked like MINE...you'd be doing all the cooking too! Tongue

Yea, I thought about sticking some mustard in there but I figured I had enough going on already. Cheesy

My "recipe" is basically a bastardized version of one I seen on some cooking show or another...

Thanks all!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Rib rubs...
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 06:06:41 AM »
I don't care for marinades on my ribs and instead opt for a wet rub.

I do it by eye so it is really more or less to taste-

Jack Daniels Mustard (Yes, must be Jack Daniels)
Worcestershire sauce (Yes, must be Lee & Perrins)
Apple cider vinger
Jack Daniels Whisky
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Cheyenne (or hot sauce if you prefer, I use either or depending on mood)
Garlic powder
Ground Thyme
Brown sugar

Now as said, it is all to taste and I don't have mesurments cause I eyeball it all.  You can use any proportions you really want just don't go crazy on the brown sugar, it burns easy if you do.  I mix it all together and it should be the consitancy of really wet sand or a slightly runny paste.  This is my standard go to rub for all things on four legs.

For things on two legs my rub is as follows-
Mix of agian Jack Daniels mustard and Lee & Perrins brushed onto the meat to be bbq'd and then Lawreys Seasond Salt and a touch of cheyenne if you like a little heat.  Much simpler lol

Sauce for both is Jack Daniels (Can we tell I like cooking with Jack?) BBQ sauce that is thinned out with a little apple cider vinger ...yes you guessed it....some jack daniels, and JD mustard.  I like the sauce fine by itself but I tweak it to suit me better and I prefer a thinner slightly mustardy vingery sauce.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Rib rubs...
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 07:00:23 AM »
I've always wet cooked my ribs, either in a crockpot or on a BBQ. You don't get the wonderful smoky flavor with a crockpot, but you do get a decent rib.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grislyatoms

• friends
Rib rubs...
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 10:09:02 AM »
I made a crockpot Boston Butt roast the other night that came out real nice. Added it to a pot of pintos that I had already whipped up.

The sauce:

A lot of ketchup
About 1/4 as much mustard
Half a handful of brown sugar
Montreal steak seasoning
Chili powder

Cooked the sauce in a pan until the sugar melted and poured it over the roast in the crockpot. When it was done that night, I dumped the whole thing (sauce and all) onto the pintos.

Great stuff.

A marinade I really like is frozen o.j. concentrate, soy sauce, garlic, and onion. Great on brisket.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

280plus

• friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »
Well, the ribbies are but a fond memory now. They came out rather well too. I changed my finish sauce though and made it out of Kraft original with a little lemon juice, honey and garlic added. Came out ok. The wife says "You ARE puitting sauce on those aren't you?" I said, :Yes dear!" Tongue

Don't worry, I'll be trying some of these other recipes you all posted here in the near future so THANKS!!! (again!) Cheesy

Iain

• friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 02:33:02 PM »
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/barbecued-chicken-with-an-apricot-glaze,1874,RC.html

I used the apricot glaze on beef earlier this summer. Promise you, the stuff is awesome.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 04:32:06 PM »
heh, I was reading how to make damper over at the downunder site. Here's a cook after me own heart:

Wrap the dough in the foil and place it under the coals of your fire, or in your oven heated to, at a guess, 200C (work it out, I can't be bothered!)
LOL...

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Rib rubs...
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 04:40:26 PM »
KISS - Keep it simple STUPID! Wink

Chilli Powder
Black Pepper
enough Soy Sauce and Honey to make a paste.

Smear ribs. Cook over white charcoal and a couple small blocks of mesquite to make a fire and end with smoke. Ribs should be about 2 feet above the fire. About 15 minutes before you think the ribs are done recoat and toss on a couple of blocks of mesquite. Turn one time (you wanna partially caramelize the honey).

NOTE: You yankees are free to use Hickory wood, cherry is OK but MESQUITE is the BEST!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

280plus

• friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 05:05:58 PM »
You know, I've yet to try any fancy wood stuff. I use this natural lump charcoal I've had for a while now. I split a skid with a guy a few years back. It's oak as far as I know. But I'm PRETTY SURE I saw some mesquite in a little bag at the hardware store last time I was there. Wink

I ain't got nuthin but a Weber so what I do is just build a small slow fire in one "corner" against the side and cover most of it with tinfoil so theres just a little chimney hole at the top. They was on for 3.5 hours total and this time around they could have gone another couple hours easy. They were cooked but still not quite falling off the bone. Last few times I built my fire too big so they cooked too fast. This time I scaled it down to just a couple handfuls that lasted ~2 hours and then I added another couple handfuls to finish. I did 6 racks and a turkey breast on that bad boy today. Cheesy

Chris

Rib rubs...
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 07:05:53 PM »
I like to ro my ribs with a good basic bbq rub (salt, pepper, cayanne, brown sugar, dry mustard, paprika, cumin, and anything else that suits my fancy).  Impportant to peel off the thin membrane on the back.  It blocks seasoning from soaking in and gets tough during cookingon the grill.  Lift it with the point of a knife, grab on with pliers and pull.  It takes some work, but it is worth the effort.

While grilling, I baste the ribs every 15-20 minutes with:

vinegar (I mix white with cider or red wine vinegar)
water
brown sugar
salt
crushed garlic cloves
peppers (jalepenos or hotter if you like)
sliced onions

Cook/smoke until they are done.  It takes some practice to get a sense of doneness, and it varies from grill to grill.

For a good basic BBQ cookbook, I recommend Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill".  It's a good basic book that will teach you how to grill anything, and serves as a foundation for you to buid upon.

280plus

• friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 01:15:49 AM »
Well, I USED to pull the membrane off but the wifey likes it so that is now verboten. I have a copy of some how to grill book I got for Christmas last year. Damn if I didn't forget all about it. I'd almost bet it's the one you're talking about. Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Rib rubs...
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 04:12:25 AM »
"Impportant to peel off the thin membrane on the back."

I just slash it liberally with the point of a sharp knife.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
Rib rubs...
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 06:15:07 AM »
Mike, we may be on the opposite sides of the spectrum on Woody Woodpecker but That's a dang good idea for the ribs. Cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Rib rubs...
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 03:45:34 PM »
I skin my ribs

Rub with Cavendars Greek seasoning liberally

smoke with hickory

french cut to serve

serve dry, let people put sauce on to taste.

I like Bulleyes BBQ sauce doctored up with fresh ground black pepper. Cookies BBQ sauce is good too.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536