Author Topic: The culturally isolated South  (Read 1081 times)

Hutch

• friend
The culturally isolated South
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:53 AM »
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2013/01/21/130121taco_talk_packer?mobify=0

It seems as if flyover country now has a locus. There was no readers comment section, so I couldn't read how others responded.  My Scots/Irish temper...  Well, read my sigline.

"proud, brave, honorable by its lights, courteous, personally generous, loyal".  I aspire to that, yeah.  Too bad we're so damned backward and all.

"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The culturally isolated South
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
Recently saw a nooz article about the most "Diverse" cities in America.  Houston was like no 4.  Being backwards and all. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »
The town I live in is much more diverse and less segregated than Milwaukee or its suburbs. I see kids and teens of all races playing together, something that wasn't all that common up north.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
The town I live in is much more diverse and less segregated than Milwaukee or its suburbs. I see kids and teens of all races playing together, something that wasn't all that common up north.
Never let the paltry facts stand in the way of The Truth.  Remember the NYT masthead "All the news that fits, we print"
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
Not just the South

Gee, I'd love to see your data!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
I believe that there are more racial issues in the northern cities, the so called enlightened.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:20:31 PM »
"It's good, though..."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:22:46 AM »
It wasn't that bad of an article...a little prejudiced but not as bad as I was expecting.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 03:44:27 AM »
I believe that there are more racial issues in the northern cities, the so called enlightened.

Yes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I