Author Topic: The Democrats try a Hail Mary . . .  (Read 6642 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
The Democrats try a Hail Mary . . .
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:33:26 PM »
. . . a change.org petition demanding that the Electoral College ignore the state-by-state totals and make Hillary the President:

Text of the petition:

On December 19, the Electors of the Electoral College will cast their ballots. If they all vote the way their states voted, Donald Trump will win. However, they can vote for Hillary Clinton if they choose. Even in states where that is not allowed, their vote would still be counted, they would simply pay a small fine - which we can be sure Clinton supporters will be glad to pay!

We are calling on the Electors to ignore their states' votes and cast their ballots for Secretary Clinton. Why?

Mr. Trump is unfit to serve. His scapegoating of so many Americans, and his impulsivity, bullying, lying, admitted history of sexual assault, and utter lack of experience make him a danger to the Republic.

Secretary Clinton WON THE POPULAR VOTE and should be President.

Hillary won the popular vote. The only reason Trump "won" is because of the Electoral College.

But the Electoral College can actually give the White House to either candidate. So why not use this most undemocratic of our institutions to ensure a democratic result?

SHE WON THE POPULAR VOTE.

There is no reason Trump should be President.

"It's the 'People's Will'"

No. She won the popular vote.

"Our system of government under our Constitution says he wins"

No. Our Constitution says the Electors choose.

"Too many states prohibit 'Faithless Electors'"

24 states bind electors. If electors vote against their party, they usually pay a fine. And people get mad. But they can vote however they want and there is no legal means to stop them in most states.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The Democrats try a Hail Mary . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
The *expletive deleted*it might surly hit the fan if that were to come about.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
We'd better pray they don't hold a candle light vigil!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 09:08:09 PM »
The *expletive deleted*it might surly hit the fan if that were to come about.

Exactly.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
Since Clinton already conceded and Trump has already met with President Obama, the likelihood of this amounting to anything is vanishingly small.  I'm a bit appalled that the petition already has 1.4 million signatures.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:16:30 PM »
The electoral college matters until it works against their guy  ;/
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 09:18:43 PM »
The electoral college matters until it works against their guy  ;/

Much like the Constitution.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 07:34:49 AM »
In 1992, Bubba received 43% of the popular vote, Bush1 received 37.4%, and Perot received 18.9%. That means Bubba didn't receive a majority of the popular vote (in fact, a significantly smaller percentage than Trump), and 57% of the voting populace was disappointed. Yet there were no riots in the streets, no public weeping, wailing, and rending of garments. Why is it that these things only happen when it's the liberals and social justice warriors who are on the losing side? Why can't/won't they acknowledge that the system works, and that they don't get to win all the time?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:57:09 AM »
Why is it that these things only happen when it's the liberals and social justice warriors who are on the losing side? Why can't/won't they acknowledge that the system works, and that they don't get to win all the time?

Because liberal philosophy is that we all get to vote over an issue. And if we don't agree with the liberals then we vote again. And again. And again.

Until they win. Then it's settled and never to be voted on again.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 09:07:40 AM »
Because liberal philosophy is that we all get to vote over an issue. And if we don't agree with the liberals then we vote again. And again. And again.

Until they win. Then it's settled and never to be voted on again. they move on to punishing the dissenters.

More accurate.

Oh - also, when they finally get their way, that counts as "having a serious discussion." Until they win, we haven't "had a serious discussion," and we'll be told we must "have a serious discussion," until they get their way. Once the "serious discussion" has been had, no more discussion is necessary. That is why dissenters must be hushed up. See above.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:21:56 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »

We ought to start our own counter-petition based on this:

The EC is about defeating factionalism as much as it is about giving low population states a reason to actually vote.

The Founders were extremely worried about factionalism.  The fact that the Democrat party has, as a matter of policy, created many factions (race, income, gender, national origin, sexual proclivities etc) and then swept them under their wing verifies the fear of the Founders.  The tyranny of the majority can be made up of unifying various factions of so called "minorities".  As a result we need the EC more now than in any time in the past.  This election points that out very well.  If the Democrat party had merely remained the party of the working middle class instead of the conglomeration of the factions they saw they needed to do to remain in power, they probably would never be able to elect another D president, ever.  Now, without the EC there would never be another R president.  The two most dangerous people to run for office, Gore and HRC were kept from power because of the genius of the Founders and the EC. Obama was an aberration, but got elected because of the factions of the D party and the "white guilt" of quite a few Rs.

...and some of the other comments on that thread.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
It now has 2.4 million signatures.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »
A. This would probably escalate the ballot box to the bullet box. It would be a clear case of changing the rules after the election to steal the result.
B. This might not work out the way they want. If the electors were to actually vote by the results of their districts the Dems would never win. Even the two elections Obama won had smaller spots of blue in a sea of mostly red.

Personally I've always thought all Staes should work the way Nebraska and Maine do when it comes to electoral votes. Of course if they did again Obama would never have been elected.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »
A. This would probably escalate the ballot box to the bullet box. It would be a clear case of changing the rules after the election to steal the result.
B. This might not work out the way they want. If the electors were to actually vote by the results of their districts the Dems would never win. Even the two elections Obama won had smaller spots of blue in a sea of mostly red.

Personally I've always thought all Staes should work the way Nebraska and Maine do when it comes to electoral votes. Of course if they did again Obama would never have been elected.

That, of course, makes your suggestion racist.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
You guys realise that the most likely scenario is that he was a hardened veteran of the narco-wars?

The robbers most likely had the bad luck of encountering a more experienced crook.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 08:30:59 PM »
Apparently nearly 4 million now. I'm curious how many of the signatures are those of all the college kids who couldn't bother to vote but who got excited about protesting (I understand there's a lot of them)? Also how many are illegal aliens? There doesn't appear to be any decent identity verification at that site.

Of course what does this number end up being? It's like <2% of those eligible to vote and ~3% of those who actually voted (or something - I used 2012 numbers). Kinda like the <1% of the population that's LGBT making the rest of us dance to their tune, which is kinda a big part of what got Trump in.

If something like this were to happen, I believe it would be the one thing that would get the over 50% of non-left people who don't protest when the dem gets elected to go full bore. The protestors in Portland will be looking for holes to crawl into.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 08:31:29 PM »
You guys realise that the most likely scenario is that he was a hardened veteran of the narco-wars?

The robbers most likely had the bad luck of encountering a more experienced crook.

Who, Clinton? Or that guy in the other thread?  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »

Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »

Hahaha other thread - any way to move a post?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
I keep seeing Dems saying a majority of Americans voted for Hillary.   CNN is reporting voter turn out at 55.4% of eligible voters.  So roughly a quarter of eligible voters cast a ballot for one or the other.

And the petition?   That's what, around 1% of the population?  Nothing to see here.  Move on.   This petition should get no more attention than it already has.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 12:23:04 AM »
I keep hearing that this is the sort of thing that couldn't happen. A year ago, that sort of talk was much more reassuring.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 12:55:09 AM »
Apparently nearly 4 million now. I'm curious how many of the signatures are those of all the college kids who couldn't bother to vote but who got excited about protesting (I understand there's a lot of them)? Also how many are illegal aliens? There doesn't appear to be any decent identity verification at that site.

Or how many are people from other countries?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 04:28:16 AM »
Doesn't Trump have one more Electoral vote from the guy in WA who said he wouldn't vote for Hillary.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So good luck getting ~40 Electors to change their votes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
Appears Trump won the popular vote too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »
Appears Trump won the popular vote too.

What happened? Have they now counted the military absentee ballots?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design