Author Topic: Carter to meet with, give legitmacy to Hamas leader in Syria  (Read 23123 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Carter to meet with, give legitmacy to Hamas leader in Syria
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:54:05 AM »
Maybe he'll just move to the West Bank one of these days. Yay being used as a prop by a terrorist leader!  undecided

Report: Jimmy Carter to Meet With Hamas Leader in Syria

Tuesday , April 08, 2008
By Joseph Abrams

NEW YORK CITY 
Former President Jimmy Carter is reportedly preparing an unprecedented meeting with the leader of Hamas, an organization that the U.S. government considers one of the leading terrorist threats in the world.

The Arabic-language newspaper Al-Hayat reported Tuesday that Carter was planning a trip to Syria for mid-April, during which he would meet with Khaled Meshal, the exiled head of the Palestinian terror group Hamas, on April 18.

Deanna Congileo, Carters press secretary, confirmed in an e-mail to FOXNews.com that Carter will be in the Mideast in April. Pressed for comment, Congileo did not deny that the former president is considering visiting Meshal.

President Carter is planning a trip to the Mideast next week; however, we are still confirming details of the trip and will issue a press release by the end of this week, wrote Congileo. I cannot confirm any specific meetings at this point in time.

Meshal, who lives in Syria to avoid being arrested by the Israeli government, leads Hamas from his seat in Damascus, where he is a guest of Bashar al-Assad's regime.

The State Department has designated Hamas a "foreign terrorist organization," and some groups hold Meshal personally responsible for ordering the kidnapping of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack once said of the prospect of meeting with Meshal, "That's not something that we could possibly conceive of."

Some Carter critics called the latest reports typical of the ex-president.

Its about par for the course from President Carter, demonstrating a lack of judgment typical of what he does," said John Bolton, former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations. "To go to Syria to visit Hamas at this point is just an ill-timed, ill-advised decision on his part."

Im not surprised that Carter would do this, as he has been supporting Palestinian extremism for many years, said Steve Emerson, director of the Investigative Project on Terrorism, a watchdog group.

Carter would be the first Western leader of his stature to meet with the Hamas chief. Though Meshal met with Clinton officials in the 1990s, the Bush administration has sought to isolate Hamas, enforcing rigid sanctions on its government in Gaza and refusing to meet with its leaders unless it recognizes Israel and abandons terror.

I think this [visit] undermines the U.S. policy of isolating Hamas, said Emerson. I think this encourages Europeans to further dilute their sanctions against the Hamas government.

"When you put the prestige of a former president of the United States in a meeting with one of its terrorist leaders, youre giving it a legitimacy and currency it never had, said Bolton.

But Ibrahim Hooper, communications director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a non-profit advocacy group, said Carter's efforts demonstrate he's a true partner in peace.

I think if true, this report would indicate that President Carter is willing to travel any road in search of peace, he said. I think President Carter would only undertake such a mission if he believed that something could be achieved in terms of peace and reconciliation in the region.

Hooper added that because of Carter's reputation among Palestinians he might be able to bring some pressure to bear.

Obviously President Carter has a great amount of credibility in the region because of his past efforts seeking peace internationally, Hooper said.

The Al-Hayat report stated that Carter would be traveling in his capacity as head of the Carter Center, and not in his capacity as a former president.

Thats a distinction thats absurd, said Emerson.

Maybe hell give up his pension, but hes always a former president, said Bolton.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348413,00.html

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
Re: Carter to meet with, give legitmacy to Hamas leader in Syria
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:53:12 AM »
Thank goodness!  Now that someone is willing to TALK to them, surely the palestinians will stop making their situation worse by trying to kill israeli's!  Right?  Hello?
/stupidity

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that visits like this will convince the terrorists in the population that what they are doing is having a desirable effect.  Way to go Carter, as usual.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

johnster999

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:22:22 AM »
Useful idiot.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:25:31 AM »
Maybe they can keep him and make him build crapshacks?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:25:44 AM »
Disagreement on policy is one thing, but it's gotten to the point where one has to ask just what the hell is wrong with people like Jimmy Carter.

Seriously.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 05:26:50 AM »
Trying to make up his failure as President.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 05:33:20 AM »
At this point, given who his chosen friends and causes are, I sincerely hope they've revoked ALL his security clearances. He's such a naive fool that I have no doubt that he might babble something from an intelligence briefing to the Hamas leader over lunch and get some of our people killed as a result.

Plus, can we rename the sub?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 06:35:52 AM »
. . . He's such a naive fool that I have no doubt that he might babble something from an intelligence briefing to the Hamas leader over lunch and get some of our people killed as a result . . .
He's been out of office for decades now . . . why in the world should he even GET any more access to classified data?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:10 AM »
I wouldn't expect he'd have any high-level clearances, (hope not!) but I'd wonder if, as a courtesy, he was still able to get the just-barely-classified Congressional intelligence briefings or such? How many people would give him a paper, the ones who still address him as "Mr. President" when he asks for it, thinking he's due some courtesy. I don't think he is.

That's what I'd meant. I think he should be cut of from even that, because it's still stuff that people like the leader of Hamas shouldn't know. Nothing that an average citizen can't have. Period.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 06:45:06 AM »
I wouldn't expect he'd have any high-level clearances, (hope not!) but I'd wonder if, as a courtesy, he was still able to get the just-barely-classified Congressional intelligence briefings or such? How many people would give him a paper, the ones who still address him as "Mr. President" when he asks for it, thinking he's due some courtesy. I don't think he is.

That's what I'd meant. I think he should be cut of from even that, because it's still stuff that people like the leader of Hamas shouldn't know. Nothing that an average citizen can't have. Period.

Without knowing his current classification status, I would  hope that folks in this position would remember that they don't just hand off classified info unless the recipient has the adequate clearance AND "need to know".  I imagine one of those two points would eliminate Carter.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 06:47:48 AM »
I hope so.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 06:56:57 AM »
Even still, you never offically lose a clearance.  You just don't have the need to know anymore.

And anyone that ever had a clearance there is a thing called a Non-disclosure Agreement that you sign when you read on and when you read off.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
I could of sworn we traded this guy to North Korea back during the Clinton years....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 12:16:50 PM »
I could of sworn we traded this guy to North Korea back during the Clinton years....

We tried, but Dear Leader insisted we throw in Pamela Anderson as well.   smiley

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »

We tried, but Dear Leader insisted we throw in Pamela Anderson as well.   smiley

I think we would have come out on top on that deal.  After all, who really cares about three big, fake boobs, anyways?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »
"...AND "need to know". "

I don't think he needed to know anything even when he was the sitting president. We might be better off today if the pentagon had handled the Iranian hostage situation on its own.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »
Maybe Customs and Immigration won't let him back in because he spent time with a hostile nation. 

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
Yay being used as a prop by a terrorist leader!

How is he being "used as a prop"?

It appears to me that Carter initiated any contact, in order to further his policy goals in the course of a Middle East tour. Any way you cut it, Hamas is a player and ignoring them is pointless.

an organization that the U.S. government considers one of the leading terrorist threats in the world.
Ah, the absurdity of the war on terra.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »

It appears to me that Carter initiated any contact, in order to further his policy goals in the course of a Middle East tour.

See, that's precisely the problem.  Nothing good (for us) ever came of Jimmy Carter trying to further his policy goals. 

jrfoxx

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
Useful idiot.
I think you made a typo...

Useless idiot.
There.fixed it for you.
 grin

Why exactly to ex-presidents and congress critters feel the need to do these kinds of things? Isnt that what we have the State Deartment for?
These people either need to but out, and let the State Department do thier job, or we need to disband and/or defund them if they are so useless. If we dont need them, quit wasting my tax money on them. If we are keeping them, quit wasting my tax money letting congress criters overstep thier bounds (Carter not included here, as I REALLY hope this is coming out of HIS pocket, not mine...)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »
I think the best thing that can happen in this case is he comes back with proof of what crazy animals they are over there.

I can hope.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
See, that's precisely the problem.  Nothing good (for us) ever came of Jimmy Carter trying to further his policy goals.
Which may or may not be the case. But the fact that the man has policy goals and the means to pursue them - and that you or I disagree with him, or the conservative orthodoxy disagrees with him - doesn't make the man a prop, or a "useful idiot" (is there a lazier cliche going?).
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »
How ironic-we all praise Israel for its intelligence genius even though its intelligence agencies gave Hamas the crucial funding and support it needed to get off the ground as a movement...http://www.upi.com/International_Intelligence/Analysis/2002/06/18/analysis_hamas_history_tied_to_israel/8272/

and now we're slamming Jimmy Carter for talking to them?

It's a backwards world where praise is showered on the party that gives money to and helps upstart the terrorist group, but a guy who obviously isn't going to do anything other than talk is the devil.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
See, that's precisely the problem.  Nothing good (for us) ever came of Jimmy Carter trying to further his policy goals.
Which may or may not be the case. But the fact that the man has policy goals and the means to pursue them - and that you or I disagree with him, or the conservative orthodoxy disagrees with him - doesn't make the man a prop, or a "useful idiot" (is there a lazier cliche going?).

Huh? 

The fact that he has policy goals and the means of pursuing them doesn't make him a useful idiot.  It's the fact that he's Jimmy Carter, pursuing Jimmy Carter's particular policy goals, in Jimmy Carter's trademark incompetent fashion, which makes him a useful idiot.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »
How ironic-we all praise Israel for its intelligence genius even though its intelligence agencies gave Hamas the crucial funding and support it needed to get off the ground as a movement...http://www.upi.com/International_Intelligence/Analysis/2002/06/18/analysis_hamas_history_tied_to_israel/8272/

and now we're slamming Jimmy Carter for talking to them?

It's a backwards world where praise is showered on the party that gives money to and helps upstart the terrorist group, but a guy who obviously isn't going to do anything other than talk is the devil.

I figured you would show up to defend playing nice and talking with KNOWN TERRORISTS.  rolleyes