Author Topic: Carter to meet with, give legitmacy to Hamas leader in Syria  (Read 23098 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Carter to meet with, give legitmacy to Hamas leader in Syria
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »
How ironic-we all praise Israel for its intelligence genius even though its intelligence agencies gave Hamas the crucial funding and support it needed to get off the ground as a movement...http://www.upi.com/International_Intelligence/Analysis/2002/06/18/analysis_hamas_history_tied_to_israel/8272/

and now we're slamming Jimmy Carter for talking to them?

It's a backwards world where praise is showered on the party that gives money to and helps upstart the terrorist group, but a guy who obviously isn't going to do anything other than talk is the devil.

You figure lots of things when it comes to Muslims, it seems.

I figured you would show up to defend playing nice and talking with KNOWN TERRORISTS.  rolleyes
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 06:01:32 PM »
nice try.  You're as predictable as Hamas.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
It's the fact that he's Jimmy Carter, pursuing Jimmy Carter's particular policy goals, in Jimmy Carter's trademark incompetent fashion, which makes him a useful idiot.
If you're going to traffic in cliches, you should at least get them right.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 07:20:40 PM »
It's the fact that he's Jimmy Carter, pursuing Jimmy Carter's particular policy goals, in Jimmy Carter's trademark incompetent fashion, which makes him a useful idiot.
If you're going to traffic in cliches, you should at least get them right.
If I have it wrong, please correct me.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 04:35:49 AM »
How ironic-we all praise Israel for its intelligence genius even though its intelligence agencies gave Hamas the crucial funding and support it needed to get off the ground as a movement...http://www.upi.com/International_Intelligence/Analysis/2002/06/18/analysis_hamas_history_tied_to_israel/8272/

and now we're slamming Jimmy Carter for talking to them?

It's a backwards world where praise is showered on the party that gives money to and helps upstart the terrorist group, but a guy who obviously isn't going to do anything other than talk is the devil.

I figured you would show up to defend playing nice and talking with KNOWN TERRORISTS.  rolleyes

He always defends Hamas.

Whereas I think the only proper way to "meet" with the leader of Hamas would be to stuff a grenade in their pocket and push them out a window. Preferably one above a dumpster.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 11:55:50 AM »
You figure lots of things when it comes to Muslims, it seems.
And you seem to validate much of it.  Go figure.   rolleyes
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 12:03:05 PM »
Jimmy who?Huh??   Anybody who's worried about him has too much time on their hands.  rolleyes

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »
Paddy, it's the legitimacy aspect.

Al-Jazeera will run it as "Former American President Meets with Hamas Leader in Negotiation".

It lends legitimacy of statehood to a terrorist leader who deserves nothing more than to be shot on sight.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
Al-Jazeera will run it as "Former American President Meets with Hamas Leader in Negotiation".
Aside from "in negotiation" - what can Carter negotiate? at best he's playing a brokering role - what about this is untrue or requires "Al-Jazeera" spin. A former American President will indeed be meeting with Hamas. (assuming this happens, of course)

It lends legitimacy of statehood to a terrorist leader who deserves nothing more than to be shot on sight.
Except that he's meeting with the leader of Hamas in a state where Hamas holds no power. Bit difficult to claim the "legitimacy of statehood" when you're in hiding from Israel.

In any case - Hamas, thanks primarily to Israel, holds a de facto state in southern Lebanon and won't be going anywhere any time soon. Anything other than recognition of reality is absurd.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 01:29:45 PM »
Wooderson, you're just not getting it.

NOBODY CARES what is said. The photo of the meeting and the confirmation that the meeting took place is legitimizing Hamas. Period.

That's all that'll be held up in Hamas rallies for the new throngs. "Even former American president recognizes the holy mission of Hamas!"

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »
Wooderson, you're just not getting it.

I 'get it,' y'all just can't help but switch arguments from post to post. Useful idiot! Tool of the terra-ists! Legitimizing terra-ism!

NOBODY CARES what is said. The photo of the meeting and the confirmation that the meeting took place is legitimizing Hamas. Period.
Hamas is "legitimized" by their de facto governmental presence (oh, and their ability to 'win' a land war against Israel). Period. They don't need a former President meeting with them to establish a base of power.

To deny that Hamas is a player - to ignore them - is, again, an absurd denial of reality.

That's all that'll be held up in Hamas rallies for the new throngs. "Even former American president recognizes the holy mission of Hamas!"
Which "new throngs" would these be? Where is Hamas recruiting that they don't already enjoy popularity and control?

Why would they use a former American president to make this argument? Are we popular among potential Islamist recruits in the Middle East or something?

Did the IRA argue that the US recognized its mission when we took a role in dealing with Northern Ireland?

You are, per usual, short on concrete arguments and details.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 03:01:53 AM »
Trying to make up his failure as President.

Why? Because of Bush, he's no longer the worst president.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Manedwolf

• friend
Carter lays wreath on Arafat's tomb...
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 09:34:59 AM »
The former president and his wife Rosalynn Carter laid a wreath on the tomb of late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat in Ramallah. The wreath bore the words: "President and Mrs Carter."

NOT PRESIDENT. NOT IN MY NAME. angry

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iszjyHIDZedCkd2qwQKI_1_GrqvA

Maybe he could finish up by symbolically lighting off some Qassams aimed at Sderot?

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2008, 03:33:17 PM »
Doesn't this fall under "aiding our terrorist enemies" under the Patriot act somewhere. Or do our own laws against traitors not apply to old rich white men that once were president. I hope at very least he stops getting a taxpayer funded christmas card. I praise him for his humanitarian work with Habitat, but this is too far.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »
Ok fine...nobody touch it with a ten foot pole. Hamas= Terrorist group. They may have a humanitarian branch that builds schools and gives out food, but the KKK has picnics too. Carter can't really be this naive can he? I'd honestly rather have nerds in wookie suits in my party than guys that go visit terrorists for a photo op. Why did Fred have to go and crap out on us and leave us with the mayor of crazytown that is right on 90% and a loon on the other 10, a silver tongued totalitaran that has a crazy racist for a preacher, and a career politician that loves guns and freedom only when convenient, and a free speech restricting left leaning moderate in a republican suit.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2008, 05:24:40 PM »
Those who did not live through Carter have a hard time believing how bad his mess was and how utterly incompetent he was.  Bush has his warts (oh, boy does he have warts).  Carter was in a world all his own.  Bush has some pretty good managerial skills.  Carter had nothing to commend him as an executive of anything.

I would have to rate Carter the absolute worst in my lifetime with no second place.  The man was just awful. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »
Why did Fred have to go and crap out on us and leave us with the mayor of crazytown that is right on 90% and a loon on the other 10, a silver tongued totalitaran that has a crazy racist for a preacher, and a career politician that loves guns and freedom only when convenient, and a free speech restricting left leaning moderate in a republican suit.
I feel your pain. I'm considering a write-in vote for "None Of The Above."
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:59 AM »

Rep. Myrick Calls for Former President Jimmy Carters Passport to be Revoked

(Washington, D.C.)  Today, Rep. Sue Myrick (NC-9) called on Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to revoke former President Jimmy Carters passport.  This is in response to the former President traveling to Syria to meet with Hamas, an organization officially designated by the United States as a Foreign Terrorist Organization.

Former President Carter has acted in contradiction of international agreements to isolate Hamas.  He has acted in defiance of both United States policy and international policy.  His actions reward terrorists, lend support, and provide legitimacy to their belief that violence will eventually get them what they want, said Rep. Myrick.

After Hamas won the 2006 Palestinian parliamentary elections the Quartet (US, UN, EU and Russia) called on Hamas to renounce terror, recognize Israel and recognize the previous agreements between the Palestinian Authority and Israel as they seek an agreement to make peace.  Hamas has categorically rejected these three conditions for more than two years.

Congress granted the Secretary of State the power to grant and verify passports.  In 1981, the United States Supreme Court held in the case of Haig v. Agee that the Secretary of State has the implied power to revoke passports as well (453 U.S. 280).   

http://www.house.gov/list/press/nc09_myrick/041608carterpassport.html

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
Maybe it's already been said. I haven't read the whole thread. But how can Carter give legitimacy to anything when he doesn't have any himself?

Really, does anyone take him seriously?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »
Jimmy follows the David Rockefeller playbook.  He owes his career to D-Rock.   Follow the money.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2008, 06:41:10 AM »
I see several problems with this.

First is that former President Carter has no authority to meet with or discuss anything with a foreign power. 

Second, he is a former President of the United States.  Other nations see him still having some degree of authority or legitimacy in his conversations and announcements and actions - like honoring the late Yassir Arafat.

Third, anything he says out loud is not U. S. foreign policy.  He is in the process of undercutting the position of the United States in international relations.  I don't think he's doing so intentionally, but he should know better.  At best he's goofy; at worst he's traitorous.

All you President Carter supporters consider this:  If Senator Clinton or Obama is elected to the Presidency, how about President Bush going abroad and holding 'talks' with Israel, South Korea or Germany without direction, approval or authority from the then current administration?
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »
Can we make Jimmy Carter an auxillary APS scapegoat?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2008, 05:51:35 PM »
They may have a humanitarian branch that builds schools and gives out food, but the KKK has picnics too.

See, here's the thing:

The Hamas is the de-facto government of Gaza. They have all the trappings of a government  laws, courts, publicly-owned amenities, army, police, the works.

We can't kill them all off without unacceptable civilian casualties and controversy.

So we have to talk to them.

Why did Fred have to go and crap out on us and leave us with the mayor of crazytown that is right on 90% and a loon on the other 10,

Because Fred never was really meaning to be a serious candidate. He was just playing one on TV. He never had what it took.

As for Ron Paul, it amazes me that people were so obsessed with the stuff they disagreed with  foreign policy mostly, it seems  - that they went and voted for guys that disagree with them 90% of the time.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »
Can we make Jimmy Carter an auxillary APS scapegoat?

Die in a fire.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2008, 04:46:14 AM »
Maybe it's already been said. I haven't read the whole thread. But how can Carter give legitimacy to anything when he doesn't have any himself?

Really, does anyone take him seriously?

Carter doesn't need any legitimacy when smart despots use him as a useful idiot to further the propagandizing and control of those in thrall to the despots.
Carter's enormous ego drives him because of his abject failure as President.

Years ago I changed my mind about that man.  I thought he was a kind, generous man; just elevated beyond his abilities by time and circumstance.  I haven't believed that about him anymore for many years.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw