Author Topic: Obama spits on PA and American values in comments to SF liberals  (Read 24199 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama told supporters at a San Francisco fundraiser Sunday, according to a transcript posted on the Huffington Post blog.

"It's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations,"

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usobam0412,0,3879544.story

Why, yes, Obama. We cling to guns, because when people say crap like that, we smell the stink of leftist dictatorships. And those guns, Obama, are what keep that from ever happening here. Gun oil smells a lot better than that stink, a putrid stench called up from the leftist-dictator killing fields all through the 20th century. Mao. Stalin. Pol Pot. All the ones that YOUR sort enabled, Obama, by making sure that the common people could not fight back.

Not here. Oh, and Obama, some people "cling to" religion as well. So did the Founding Fathers. But then, they were "typical white people", I suppose.

I hope this is broadcast FAR and wide, to all corners, to the smallest small-town barbershops and cafes. I want people to see what he really is.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Obama spits on PA and American values in comments to SF liberals
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
There is also the problem that it is politicians like him that are largely responsible for the job loss. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »
He chose his audience well.  There aren't many places he could have said that and not been booed off the stage.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:02:05 PM »
Americans are "bitter" all right--about too many Obamas screwing up America for the last 40 years.  The only reason this guy is still a viable candidate is that he's been protected by the mainstream media and the fluff girl academics who shadow them.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 12:42:49 AM »
Americans are "bitter" all right--about too many Obamas screwing up America for the last 40 years.  The only reason this guy is still a viable candidate is that he's been protected by the mainstream media and the fluff girl academics who shadow them.

That and he's remarkably capable in the art of set piece verbal jujitsu. Give the man a scripted speech, set him in front of a receptive audience, and he'll make McCain and Hillary look strictly bush league. His response to this mess is as smooth as ever. His focus on the word "bitter" deftly deflects attention from the condescension and prevents him from having to answer how exactly his policies would help when decades of government intervention have failed miserably. Not quite as masterful as his Wright speech, but stakes are also lower.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 04:26:31 AM »
Wtf? Really! Wtf?!

How can this guy have any supporters? Don't people realize the sht he says???

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 04:40:18 AM »
Barry, if you want to help "small towns", then abolish the capital gains tax.  People will have 3 jobs. cool

Barry, just as I've told you before in Chicago, I HAVE my guns.  What are you doing to do now?  Who will come to my door? grin

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 05:02:39 AM »
So if I could just get a job, then I would stop being such a gun-toting, bible-thumping, jingoism-spouting racist? 

Awesome!  Where do I sign up???

He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 05:42:19 AM »
I thought you people did not have jobs because you were Ron Paul voters? grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 05:53:48 AM »
What I want to see is an open debate with McCain, Obama and Hillary.  And when I mean an open debate, have normal everyday people ask questions without anyone knowing what they will be in advance.

And the audience for this debate who asks the questions would be us, the memebership of APS.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 06:20:06 AM »
My question:  "Barry, can I bum a smoke?"

He'd have to withdraw from the race. grin

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 06:26:35 AM »
There - I fixed it... Heck - that might even make a good bumper sticker.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 06:47:45 AM »
And the backpedaling begins...

Obama concedes remarks were ill chosen
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080412/ap_on_el_pr/obama_clinton

Obama concedes remarks were ill chosen
By JIM KUHNHENN and CHARLES BABINGTON, Associated Press Writers

After a full throated response to criticism that he is condescending, Democrat Barack Obama on Saturday conceded that that comments he made about bitter working class voters who "cling to guns or religion" were ill chosen.

"I didn't say it as well as I should have," he said.

As Obama tried to quell the furor, presidential rival Hillary Rodham Clinton hit him with one of her lengthiest and most pointed criticisms to date.

"Senator Obama's remarks were elitist and out of touch," she said, campaigning about an hour away in Indianapolis. "They are not reflective of the values and beliefs of Americans."

At issue are comments Obama made privately at a fundraising gathering in San Francisco last Sunday. He explained his troubles winning over working class voters, saying they have become frustrated with economic conditions:

"It's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

The comments, posted on the Huffington Post political Web site Friday, set off a storm of criticism from Clinton, Republican nominee-in-waiting John McCain and a number of other GOP officials.

The flap threatened to highlight an Obama Achilles heel  the image that the Harvard-trained lawyer is arrogant and carries himself with an air of superiority.

The campaign has been quick to react, hoping to defuse any damage caused with working class voters that Obama needs to win over in upcoming primaries in Pennsylvania and Indiana.

"Lately there has been a little typical sort of political flare up because I said something that everybody knows is true, which is that there are a whole bunch of folks in small towns in Pennsylvania, in towns right here in Indiana, in my hometown in Illinois who are bitter," Obama said Saturday morning at Ball State University. "They are angry. They feel like they have been left behind. They feel like nobody is paying attention to what they're going through."

"So I said, well you know, when you're bitter you turn to what you can count on. So people, they vote about guns, or they take comfort from their faith and their family and their community. And they get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country or they get frustrated about you know how things are changing."

After acknowledging that his previous remarks could have been better phrased, he added:

"The truth is that these traditions that are passed on from generation to generation those are important. That's what sustains us. But what is absolutely true is that people don't feel like they are being listened to.

"And so they pray and they count on each other and they count on their families. You know this in your own lives, and what we need is a government that is actually paying attention. Government that is fighting for working people day in and day out making sure that we are trying to allow them to live out the American dream."

But Clinton struck hard, calling Obama's comments "demeaning." The increased attack showed that Clinton is eager to hold on to her working class support and is looking to open new questions about Obama's judgment that would make voters and Democratic officials reconsider their support for the Illinois senator.

"I was raised with Midwestern values and an unshakable faith in America and its policies," she said. "Now, Americans who believe in the Second Amendment believe it's a matter of constitutional right. Americans who believe in God believe it's a matter of personal faith.

"I grew up in a church-going family, a family that believed in the importance of living out and expressing our faith. The people of faith I know don't 'cling' to religion because they're bitter. People embrace faith not because they are materially poor, but because they are spiritually rich.

"Our faith is the faith of our parents and our grandparents. It is a fundamental expression of who we are and what we believe."

___

Associated Press Writer Charles Babington contributed from Indianapolis.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
This attitude is prevalent in San Francisco/Marin County.
I encountered it in nearly
in EVERY political discussion I had when I lived there.
People would scream and want to attack you if you told them you could never vote for an anti gun candidate.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 09:28:31 AM »
"Senator Obama's remarks were elitist and out of touch," she said, campaigning about an hour away in Indianapolis. "They are not reflective of the values and beliefs of Americans."

Pot, meet kettle.  grin

"I was raised with Midwestern values and an unshakable faith in America and its policies," she said. "Now, Americans who believe in the Second Amendment believe it's a matter of constitutional right. Americans who believe in God believe it's a matter of personal faith.

"I grew up in a church-going family, a family that believed in the importance of living out and expressing our faith. The people of faith I know don't 'cling' to religion because they're bitter. People embrace faith not because they are materially poor, but because they are spiritually rich.

"Our faith is the faith of our parents and our grandparents. It is a fundamental expression of who we are and what we believe."

Now this is well-spoken.  If she demonstrated with her actions that she actually thought like this she'd be a real candidate.  Someone you could have a rational disagreement on details with.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »
Bitter and clinging to religion, huh?  Like his preacher friend?   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 10:31:11 AM »
Bitter and clinging to religion, huh?  Like his preacher friend?

OOOOOooooohhhhhh!
BURN! BABY BURN!

Man, you hit the nail squarely  on the head that time, fistful!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 11:03:08 AM »
Wtf? Really! Wtf?!

How can this guy have any supporters? Don't people realize the sht he says???

They are wondering to themselves what's the big deal about what he said.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »
Now, now The Messiah did not mean it.  Yeah, right, Barry, like the barefoot rubes are going to believe you now.

TERRE HAUTE, Indiana - After a full-throated response to criticism that he is condescending, Democrat Barack Obama on Saturday conceded that that comments he made about bitter working class voters who "cling to guns or religion" were ill chosen.

"I didn't say it as well as I should have," he said.

As Obama tried to quell the furor, presidential rival Hillary Rodham Clinton hit him with one of her lengthiest and most pointed criticisms to date.

At issue are comments Obama made privately at a fundraising gathering in San Francisco last Sunday. He explained his troubles winning over working class voters, saying they have become frustrated with economic conditions:

"It's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

The comments, posted on the Huffington Post political Web site Friday, set off a storm of criticism from Clinton, Republican nominee-in-waiting John McCain and a number of other GOP officials.

The flap threatened to highlight an Obama Achilles heel  the image that the Harvard-trained lawyer is arrogant and carries himself with an air of superiority.

Obama reacts
The campaign has been quick to react, hoping to defuse any damage caused with working class voters that Obama needs to win over in upcoming primaries in Pennsylvania and Indiana.

Obama: 'Bitter' remarks ill chosen
April 12: Barack Obama wishes he had chosen his words more carefully, but stands by his point that voters are angry and frustrated by Washington politics.
MSNBC

"Lately there has been a little typical sort of political flare up because I said something that everybody knows is true, which is that there are a whole bunch of folks in small towns in Pennsylvania, in towns right here in Indiana, in my hometown in Illinois who are bitter," Obama said Saturday morning at Ball State University. "They are angry. They feel like they have been left behind. They feel like nobody is paying attention to what they're going through."

"So I said, well you know, when you're bitter you turn to what you can count on. So people, they vote about guns, or they take comfort from their faith and their family and their community. And they get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country or they get frustrated about you know how things are changing."

After acknowledging that his previous remarks could have been better phrased, he added:

"The truth is that these traditions that are passed on from generation to generation those are important. That's what sustains us. But what is absolutely true is that people don't feel like they are being listened to.

"And so they pray and they count on each other and they count on their families. You know this in your own lives, and what we need is a government that is actually paying attention. Government that is fighting for working people day in and day out making sure that we are trying to allow them to live out the American dream."

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
^Translation:
"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think anyone outside of that building would ever know I said that!" sad
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

outerlimit

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »
We all know he really thinks that way, but I can't believe he actually said it.

Smooth move Ex-Lax

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
^Translation:
"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think anyone outside of that building would ever know I said that!" sad

The race WAS his to lose.  Moron.  rolleyes

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »
NObama
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »
But what is absolutely true is that people don't feel like they are being listened to.
& thats why gun grabbers lose in national elections, they won't listen.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 05:12:04 AM »

No, no, Obama. I know some of those people in Illinois. They are bitter at CHICAGO and DALEY, because they feel like only Chicago corruption/left politics matter, and they, more conservative, are treated like the ugly cousins, kept out in the cornfields, not allowed to matter. They feel like the rest of the state doesn't matter, politically, and just gets edicts sent down from the Imperial City on the lake!