Author Topic: Hillary: Pro-Gun Churchgoer  (Read 7770 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Hillary: Pro-Gun Churchgoer
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:17:16 AM »
This is worse than when she faked a Southern/Black accent and even worse than when Kerry claimed to hunt deer.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/12/clinton-portrays-herself-as-a-pro-gun-churchgoer/

April 12, 2008,  6:09 pm
Clinton Portrays Herself as a Pro-Gun Churchgoer
By JULIE BOSMAN

VALPARAISO, Ind. - Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton managed to co-opt Mr. Obamas message of hope and optimism, beginning a speech in Valparaiso, Ind., by talking about how positive and fundamentally optimistic Americans are.
We dont get bogged down and looking back  were always looking forward, she said, as heavy applause nearly drowned out her words. Whatever obstacle we see, we get over it. Whatever challenge we have, we meet it. Were the problem-solvers, were the innovators, were the people who make the better future.
For the third time since Mr. Obamas remarks were made public Friday night, Mrs. Clinton criticized him at length, saying his comments seemed kind of elitist and out of touch.
I disagree with Senator Obamas assertion that people in our country cling to guns and have certain attitudes about immigration or trade simply out of frustration, she said.
She described herself as a pro-gun churchgoer, recalling that her father taught her how to shoot a gun when she was a young girl and said that her faith is the faith of my parents and my grandparents.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Hillary: Pro-Gun Churchgoer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:26:23 AM »
Yeah, that's why she wants to renew the AWB as part of her crime plan.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 05:27:02 AM »
LadySmith, you almost owed the government a new laptop.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:54:04 AM »
Well, she already has my vote for May 6th! grin

You go, girl!

*El Tejon sings old Doors tune* "Blood on the streets, City of Denver"
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 06:05:59 AM »
From 9MAY, 1999:

--------------------------
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C04E7D9173FF93AA35756C0A96F958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

May 9, 1999
Hillary Clinton Appeals For Gun Control Lobbying
By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE

Stepping up the Clinton Administration's campaign against gun violence, Hillary Rodham Clinton used an emotional White House ceremony today to call on Americans to press Congress to ''buck the gun lobby'' and pass several gun control measures.

Today's event, pegged to Mother's Day, which is Sunday, was held in the formal East Room of the White House and featured three parents of children killed or wounded by gunfire. They included Tom Mauser, whose son Daniel was killed last month in the shooting rampage in Littleton, Colo. His story of waiting for word about his son's fate brought Mrs. Clinton nearly to tears as she took the podium and gravely addressed an audience of other parents who had lost their children in shootings.

The Senate is to begin debate next week on a number of gun control measures, some of which mirror proposals offered recently by President Clinton. ''The senators need to hear from all of us,'' Mrs. Clinton said. She urged voters ''to give them the encouragement to do what they know is right and to remind them that there are many, many millions of American voters and citizens who will stand behind political leaders who are brave enough to buck the gun lobby, wherever that may take us, so that they will vote for the measures that we know will save lives.''

Mrs. Clinton was as careful as her husband has been to say that there are many causes of violence and that parents need to take responsibility for their children's behavior. But Mrs. Clinton, who is considering running for the Senate from New York, where gun control is popular, has also been more forceful than the President in directly taking on the powerful gun lobby in the aftermath of the Littleton killings.

In contrast with her remarks today, for example, the President, speaking at a fund-raiser in Houston Friday night, said that while he was pressing for more gun control laws, ''I hope we can avoid yet another big fight in Washington between the N.R.A. and others.'' He has said in the past that the association's campaign against certain lawmakers who supported his gun control measures had cost Democrats control of the House in 1994.

Still, a split between the National Rifle Association and ''others'' -- including its traditional allies -- is looming. Spokesmen for the American Shooting Sports Council and the National Shooting Sports Council, which represent gun manufacturers, say they have agreed in principle to back five of President Clinton's proposals to clamp down on access to guns, although they are waiting to see the exact language.

The five proposals would: raise the age limit for possessing a handgun to 21 from 18, while still allowing exemptions for hunting, employment and ranching; extend background checks to those who buy guns at gun shows, provided that the records are eventually expunged; ban juveniles who are convicted of violent felonies from ever owning a gun; prosecute parents if they recklessly or negligently allow a gun to fall into the hands of children who use it to commit a crime, and expand the Government's gun tracing program, underway in 35 cities, to 75 cities.

The move signals a breach within the powerful firearms community over tactics as the manufacturers take steps to try to appease public officials and tamp down the trend among cities to sue gun makers to recover the medical and social costs of gun violence.

Such a split within the pro-gun community could isolate the rifle association and help gun opponents portray it as an extremist organization, although whether it undermines the association's political hold on lawmakers remains to be seen. The White House seems to be trying to take advantage of that possible opening, scheduling a conference on violence for Monday and inviting the gun makers but not the high-profile officials of the rifle association.

The five proposals emerged from discussions last year between the gun industry and the U.S. Conference of Mayors. The industry has been working with several of the mayors, notably Ed Rendell of Philadelphia, to try to show a good-faith effort to reduce youth access to firearms. So far, Philadelphia has held off from joining seven other cities in filing potentially expensive law suits against the gun manufacturers.

After the rampage in Littleton, the largest mass murder in an American school, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, Democrat of Connecticut, called for a White House summit on youth violence. Robert A. Ricker, executive director of the American Shooting Sports Council, wrote to Mr. Lieberman saying his group wanted to participate in such a summit and would support certain restrictions.

President Clinton then announced a package of anti-gun measures, many of which had been advanced by the mayors. In bits and pieces, Mr. Ricker and Robert Delfay, president of the National Shooting Sports Council, backed some of those proposals, although they, with the rifle association, still oppose two that the Administration considers vital -- restricting handgun sales to one a month per person and reinstituting a waiting period before a gun can be bought.

The White House then set a summit for Monday on youth and violence. In preparation, Bruce Reed, Mr. Clinton's domestic policy adviser, invited Mr. Ricker and Mr. Delfay to the White House, and they met for 90 minutes last Tuesday to discuss the legislative proposals. Also at the meeting was Paul Jannuzzo, general counsel for Glock Inc., the pistol maker.

''For purposes of the Monday meeting, we are concentrating on just those issues where we have been able to potentially agree,'' Mr. Ricker said today.

Pointedly not invited to Monday's seminar were the figures most identified with the National Rifle Association -- Charlton Heston, the association's president, and Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president. Instead, the White Hosue invited a member of the association's board, Bill Brewster, a former Republican Congressman from Oklahoma and now a lobbyist in Washington. Mr. Reed described Mr. Brewster, who has gone duck hunting with Mr. Clinton, as ''an old friend of the President's.''

The rifle association is planning its own event on Monday to discuss its legislative agenda. This consists primarily of calling for better enforcement of existing laws.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
BenW,

If you're going to post something about Hillary, please change your tagline  [goes in search of mind bleach]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 07:39:17 AM »
Yeah, right, and I'm the fricking pope...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »
If you're going to post something about Hillary, please change your tagline  [goes in search of mind bleach]

Didn't even think of that till YOU brought it up. Thanks a lot -- now I'm off to poke my eyes out....
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 06:35:59 PM »
Naked and articulate?  That's a Firefly quote, right?  Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, I wish these two polit-scumbags would get the hell out of my state.  It's bad enough when they condescend and insult our intelligence from afar.  But to come here, into our good Hoosier home, and spit on us this way is beyond reproach.  Hillary opened a campaign office less than 200 yards from my house. 

I hope they both lose this primary.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »
No comment on the guns, but she did join a heavily-conservative religious group when the Clintons came to Washington - Santorum was part of it, some behind the scenes right-wingers.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »
Any of the rest of you find yourselves PINING for a decent Dem right now?  Even McCain doesn't pass for one!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »
Any of the rest of you find yourselves PINING for a decent Dem right now?

Umm, no.  Not as long as I'm still drawing breath without help of a respirator. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 07:46:29 PM »
No comment on the guns, but she did join a heavily-conservative religious group when the Clintons came to Washington - Santorum was part of it, some behind the scenes right-wingers.

Hmmm.  What?  Hillary is Southern Baptist (which has conservative and liberal groups), and I thought Santorum was a conservative Catholic.  Huh? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »
"The Family" or "The Fellowship" or something like that.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »
And Michael Moore is a card-carrying member of the NRA.  On its own, membership in a group doesn't mean squat.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »
Yeah, she's probably been a regular attendee with a religious study group for fifteen years in order to hide the fact that she's really a Satanist.

Dedication, I tells ya, dedication.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 01:54:55 AM »

President Hillary and Pope Bene-Irwinus.....what a crazy world we've made....

....and we still get silence from the McCain camp....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 05:04:15 AM »
"The Family" or "The Fellowship" or something like that.

Oh, OK.  Never heard of that.  From the article linked below, it appears McCain and Obama have some ties, as well.  More weird "religion" from DC, I guess. 

http://deepbackground.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/03/857959.aspx

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 05:04:23 AM »
That's a Firefly quote, right?  Nothing wrong with that.

Correct. And the only thing that helped me to get the image Scout26 put in my head out, was to think, "Saffron".  laugh

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 05:04:57 AM »
You mean Yolanda. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 05:05:43 AM »
Actually you can have whatever name she might be using.

I will take Kaylee.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 05:23:42 AM »

Hmmm.  What?  Hillary is Southern Baptist (which has conservative and liberal groups), and I thought Santorum was a conservative Catholic.  Huh? 

She was brought up and remained a Methodist.  Bill was the Baptist.  Chelsea is a Democrat.

UMC leadership has the usual liberal theology/politics of a dying, mainstream prot sect. 

John Wesley is rolling in his grave...

Santorum is a Roman Catholic.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erictank

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »
Actually you can have whatever name she might be using.

I will take Kaylee.

Inara. shocked laugh

Where's my [Homer Simpson drooling] icon... "Mmmmm, Inara..." grin

Not sayin' Kaylee's not a cutie, by any means, no sir.  Jewel's got that whole clean-cut-beautiful-girl-next-door thing down pat.  Morena's got it all over her in the sultry, knock-your-socks-off-sexy department, IMO.  YMMV.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 08:46:55 AM »
That's a Firefly quote, right?  Nothing wrong with that.

Correct. And the only thing that helped me to get the image Scout26 put in my head out, was to think, "Saffron".  laugh
Oh yeah.  Naked, and articulate indeed.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 07:59:21 PM »

President Hillary and Pope Bene-Irwinus.....what a crazy world we've made....

....and we still get silence from the McCain camp....

Up yours, my child.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.