Author Topic: TV Advice?  (Read 4469 times)

HankB

• friend
TV Advice?
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:32:02 PM »
OK, I know over the past few years there have been a few threads about TVs, but I'm wondering if anyone here has some current experience with a flat panel in around the 37" range? I plan on getting one for the MBR, and would like to avoid brands/models that have been problematic.

Likewise, if anyone has some sage advice about GOOD brands, or things to look for, I'd welcome your input.

About all I've figured so far is that for a 37" model, paying extra for a 1080p vs. a 720p puts you on the wrong side of the price/performance curve, and buying a display model (that's been running at least 16 hours a day, every day, for most of a year) may not be a good idea.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: TV Advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:12 PM »
Vizio 1080P.  I've got one in my basement in the same size you're thinking of getting.
  Love it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
and buying a display model (that's been running at least 16 hours a day, every day, for most of a year) may not be a good idea.

I wouldn't rule that out. I bought a 60" Sony display model a year ago.  It's been a great TV and is still doing fine.  I paid about $1200.
A friend of mine bought an LG (37' or so) in December and it's been nothing but trouble.  After three service calls, and having nearly every major component replaced, he just got store approval to return it.  We still have the Sony we bought when we thought anything more than 19" was huge. I'm a fan.   

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »
Skip the television. Read books.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
Based on the fun I've had with LG cell phones, I sure as hell wouldn't buy one of their TVs.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »
Consider a projector. Much greater m^2/$, and takes up no room space.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:48:28 AM »
What the hell do we know?  Go ask the TV nerds... Consumer Reports, C/Net, etc.

FWIW, I just bought a Samsung that was highly rated by Consumer Reports.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »
Oh yeah. avsforum.com
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

esheato

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 02:19:04 AM »
SWMBO and I just bought a 46" Samsung LCD. Nice set, but the first one was broken out of the box.

Ed

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »
Based on the fun I've had with LG cell phones, I sure as hell wouldn't buy one of their TVs.

Amen!
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 11:20:35 AM »
As far as picture quality, the samsungs and sonys are the best, IMHO.  The vizio looks nice and is cheaper, but I'm not sure how well they would hold up long term.  In the past 20 years I've only bought 4 tvs... all sony... all still working like the day they came out of the box. (barring the one my wife dropped, which still works, but has some discoloration since the drop)  One was even an old rear projection, even that one is still like-new.

My friend has a vizio and he likes it... the picture is pretty good.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
paying extra for a 1080p vs. a 720p puts you on the wrong side of the price/performance curve,

I'm not sure I agree with that.  The prices I've seen lately show a much smaller price difference between the two than when I bought my 720p set this summer.  In fact, there are now 1080p sets of the same size as my 720 that are the same price or cheaper than what I paid for mine (which was a good deal at the time).

Chris

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
Keeping an eye out for deals can really save you a lot of money.

I ended up buying a 46" set for more than a $100 less than the normal price of a 42" set I'd been looking for.

For something as 'small' as a 37" set today, you're correct that 720p is probably the better option.  Even for my 46" TV, to get the full benefit of 1080, I'd need to be only 6 feet away, vs 9' for 720.  Those extra 4" buys me a half foot for 'optimal', IE actually being able to observe, the extra resolution.

For a 37" set, you're looking at 4.8' for 1080, 7.25' for 720

At 5'-7', you're looking at, what, two people being able to watch comfortably?

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/HDTV_Viewing_Distance.htm - A good explanation of the reasoning behind viewing range.  I like the Eye chart letter example.
http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/hd-guru-viewing-distance-chart.pdf - For the average person with 20/20 vision.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
720p isn't high def.  It's close, but still no banana.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »
I've got a Dynex 42" LCD 1080p.

So far, it's been great.  The only complaints I have relate to peripherals... but I have an unorthodox setup in my living room.  I bought it back in summer 2008 for $1000 at Best Buy.  The Sony, LG, JVC, Mitsubishi and other comparable models all cost at least 60% more than the Dynex.

I run mine @ 1920 x 1080 as a computer monitor for my ATI video tuner card as a DVR over 15-pin DSUB VGA, and then have a Samsung Blu-Ray player on HDMI as well.

Unless you get the new 120Hz technology, the money you spend is more related to glass size than resolution, IMO.  720's and 1080's at 60Hz seem to cost just about the same, give or take about $100.

I think the Dynex and Vizio products are great values, aside from the outflow of money to China.  But, it's either going to China, Mexico, Indonesia or South Korea... none of these are built in the US.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
I had the Sharp Aquos 720P in 37". I thought it was a great set, but recently moved up to the Samsung 650A 50" at 1080P. The Samsung, as mentioned above, gets rave reviews - -check some of the Amazon reviews on it (they make a 37 too I believe.

I gotta say, I notice a BIG difference between the 720 and 1080. Some of it may be in the screen size, but somehow scenes just "pop" out much better on this set -- sometimes I think I'm watching in 3D. Anyways, highly recommend the Samsung.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 04:40:54 PM »
Love my Hitachi 42" 1080i plasma.

Hate Charter's bandwidth compression. 

Why have a HDTV if the signal is blocky/lossy thanks to the provider's greed?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »
I have a Visio 42 inch 1080p.  It is 13 months old and runs perfect.  I wish I had gone with a larger set though.  The 46 inch sets are running around the same price as I paid for my 42 inch last year.....chris3

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 07:28:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice, all . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »
Just hook a disk player up to it. Otherwise, I'd just recommend throwing a wrench through the screen.

(VERY close to it...)
Blog under construction

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »

Can anyone tell me about the Sony Bravia KDL-42V4100 42in Widescreen?   I'm looking for a new TV, and my regular vendor is willing to quote me one for a very reasonable price.   But I'm moreso worried about picture and longevity.  Anyone have any personal experience with the Bravia line and how they compare?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
FYI, Vizio has several different levels of quality at the same sizes. Check Consumer Reports!

I did finally see something that could entice me to buy a new massive one and Blu-Ray player, though.

The store...had on the taxi chase from The Fifth Element in HD. That was...um... :O

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »
FYI, Vizio has several different levels of quality at the same sizes. Check Consumer Reports!

I did finally see something that could entice me to buy a new massive one and Blu-Ray player, though.

The store...had on the taxi chase from The Fifth Element in HD. That was...um... :O

Price difference after the vendor ran the magic numbers was slightly over a $100 difference.  At the moment, that's not a huge difference to me.  Already have Blu-Ray on my laptop, which I plug into my existing TV.  I'll probably break down and pick up a normal BR player to go along with my HD-DVD player.    =D

My primary usage will be video games.  I don't want TV/cable, and I play a movie only a few times a week.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »
Consider a projector. Much greater m^2/$, and takes up no room space.

This is what my wife and I did.

Ambient light can be an issue, but since we (mostly she) watches TV at night, it's no big deal.  We have 108" display that doesn't distract from the room when off.  I've mounted it to the ceiling, and run video to a PC in the closet of the office.  The PC is our DVR, and it is totally controllable from the living room.

Wiring it up was a little tricky, but no problem, really.  we run 800x600 (I think) over CAT5.  RCA level audio runs over RG6 Coax to the amp, in the living room.

Projector was $400ish.  Insight, IIRC.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
Here's another vote for Vizio.  We've had our 32" LCD for almost two years now, with absolutely zero problems.