Author Topic: Stop! Don't burn them - they are valuable!  (Read 3474 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Stop! Don't burn them - they are valuable!
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:04:31 AM »
Even if there is no way to actually use them, they are now important historical artifacts of a bygone era.

SAVE THE FLOPPY!

Floppy Disk Era Ends as Sony Halts Sale of 3.5-Inchers in Japan
by Amar Toor — Apr 26th 2010 at 8:46AM

For the past few years, a beloved staple of our technological upbringing has been dying a slow, painful death before our very eyes. Now, one major company has taken it upon itself to pull the plug on its trademark floppy disk, effectively putting an end to the 3.5-inch era.

On April 23rd, Sony announced that it would begin phasing out the sale of its floppy disks in Japan, confirming that all sales within the country will come to a complete halt in March 2011. The decision comes a month after Sony discontinued the vast majority of its global floppies, although the company says it will continue to market the disks in a handful of niche countries, like India. According to the Examiner, Sony accounted for a full 40-percent of worldwide floppy disk sales in 2008, including 70-percent of the Japanese market. Recent years, however, have seen a steep decline in demand, as devices like USB sticks, CDs and DVDs have gradually encroached upon the floppy disk's once existent market hegemony. In 2000, for example, Sony sold 47 million disks in Japan alone. In 2009, though, it only managed to move 8.5 million -- which, if you think about it, is still a pretty impressive feat, considering that hardly any recently built computers actually support 3.5-inch disks.

We all knew, of course, that the floppy's death knell would eventually sound, and that we'd have to say our goodbyes at one point or another. Considering how rapidly the technological life expectancy has decreased in recent years, it's remarkable that the little guy managed to hang on for so long. Sony's announcement may simply affirm the inevitable, but it still leaves us feeling a bit wistful about an era that's now officially bygone. [From: Examiner; via: Geeoksystem]

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

PTK

• friends
Re: Stop! Don't burn them - they are valuable!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 07:08:03 AM »
Nuts. I've been hoping there would be some sort of clearance event locally, as most of the computers I use still have 3.5" floppy drives, and many don't have USB ports. When they do, I just use a flash drive, but still...

I guess I'll have to make the 50 or so disks I currently have last.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:16:09 AM »
I'm really curious as to why you seem to have multiple computers, but most of which are severely obsolete?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:26:58 AM »
I'm really curious as to why you seem to have multiple computers, but most of which are severely obsolete?

Read how I phrased things. The computer I own and use is a relatively modern Sony VAIO laptop. Most of the computers I use are old, as I do work for anyone that needs help locally (the community here helps me out greatly, so I help them as well)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »
And they're using computers that have floppy drives and no USB?  Do you live in Honduras?   :laugh:

I'm just amazed.  I haven't even seen a computer that uses a floppy drive, or seen floppy disks at a store in probably 5 years.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:43:33 AM »
No, I live in Bozeman MT. People tend to make do with what they have, or do people where you live have huge amounts of money over and above a few bucks here and there for used/free PCs?

I see computers that use floppy disks basically every day - the library, stores, neighbors, etc. Why replace a computer if it works, right? Not everyone needs the latest and the greatest.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:25 AM »
I'll have to order a few cases while they are still available. We have several hundred machines at work that I don't think will be able to use anything else.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
Even if there is no way to actually use them, they are now important historical artifacts of a bygone era.

SAVE THE FLOPPY!

The only, only, thing I have used floppies for in the last few years is to load hard disk drivers during an install of Windows on funky hardware.  ("Press F6 to load....").  I've still got a box here I bought from the last time I needed it.  Hopefully it will last.  

They were never that reliable for backup, or for sneakernet.  Or, for goodness sake, of holding the only copy of a business accounting file passed around from person to person.  (Yes, I have seen this.  From when I had to rescue that file from a grfufled floppy.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:47:27 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
As of a couple years ago, there were still A LOT of US government owned computers on Korean installations using floppy drives.  There were even a few local contractor jobs that specifically asked for experience with Windows 95!! 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 09:25:11 AM »
I'm sure Sony is just discontinuing them because they can't fit a decent sized root kit on them anymore.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 09:52:12 AM »
Here's a fun question:  When is the last time you bought 5.25" floppy disks?

Mine was around 2002.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 09:56:10 AM »
I needed 5.25s for a comp graphics class in 1985

I have a lead lined floppy transit valise at home
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
I have a lead lined floppy transit valise at home

Wow, were they radioactive floppy disks?   :laugh:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »
Jack Bauer didn't want the 800K of nookleer secrets erased by the Xrays

I also have xray proof film pouches
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »
Geez... last 5 1/4" I bought? It was probably 1990.

I don't remember buying any 3 1/2" disks after '94-'95... Although PC stuff I bought still came with them for drivers etc. maybe as late as 2000.

What I miss is soaking an entire box of Ohio blue-tip strike anywhere matches in acetone until the heads sloughed off. Mixing up the paste, and painting a carefully razored apart diskette with it, except for the one wedge that was visible through the disk window. Then carefully re-assembling it, and labeling it with something like "Playboy .GIF's" then leaving it somewhere at school...  :angel:

It never burst into jets of flame like the Anarchist's Cookbook claimed it would, but it did smoke nicely.

Wiring up a model rocket ignitior taped to the fuse of a small colored smoke bomb to an RS-232 port and putting a .BAT file called "SMOKER.BAT" that read:

echo off
dir > com1
smoker.bat

That really created an impression.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »
Well, at least I can still get cassette tapes to use on my tape drive for my Commodore 64.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »
I can't remember buying any 5.25's but I did notice last weekend that I still have two drives and a stack of old games and a few drivers on 5.25's.

I also found three LS-120 drives and four new discs.

I even pulled out an old SCSI card and hooked up a Scanjet and a Jaz drive to my shop computer. (Three new Jaz cartridges.)

I only have two systems around here that don't have floppy drives in them. And I have USB drives I can hook to those if needed. But I don't remember the last time I used a floppy.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Myself

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »
Just wait till people figure out you can't use a memory stick as a coster.  Floppies will return!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »
Secretaries and bureaucracies will ensure that they remain in use... Lots of folks just don't get it.
Blog under construction

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
I believe I last used 5.25" floppies in 1986 to play Escape From Rungistan on an Apple IIE.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »
Jeeze, I've got a crapload of both types.  Even 360KB 5 1/4"-ers I've been aiming to donate to the dumpster.

I just threw away a bunch of 3.5" and 5.25" drives along with their MFM cards.

I will say that one of my old machines came in handy when someone needed some info off some old 5.25" disks about three years ago.  

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:54:35 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:06 PM »
Jeeze, I've got a crapload of both types.  Even 360KB 5 1/4"-ers I've been aiming to donate to the dumpster.

I just threw away a bunch of 3.5" and 5.25" drives along with their MFM cards.

I will say that one of my old machines came in handy when someone needed some info off some old 5.25" disks about three years ago.  

I'm surprised they worked. Bit-rot and all...

Anyone ever have a stack of 8" floppies? Mine were from a defunct DEC PDP-10. I had fun giving them to people who asked for software etc on 5 1/4" but did not have any other disks at the moment to compare to, and weren't savvy enough to know right away. They'd look at the disk a bit suspiciously, shake it off and thank me...

Then, a few hours later they'd call me up: "HEYYYYYYY!  :mad: "
I promise not to duck.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »
Anyone ever have a stack of 8" floppies? Mine were from a defunct DEC PDP-10. I had fun giving them to people who asked for software etc on 5 1/4" but did not have any other disks at the moment to compare to, and weren't savvy enough to know right away. They'd look at the disk a bit suspiciously, shake it off and thank me...

Then, a few hours later they'd call me up: "HEYYYYYYY!  :mad: "

That's just mean.  :D

My home PC still has a combo 3.5"/5.25" drive.  Sweet, huh? :cool:

I have dozens of poorly labeled floppies containing data that may never again be read, due to a combination of my considerable impatience with them and the fact that about 1 in 3 seem to have crapped themselves.
For entertainment purposes only.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 12:15:28 AM »
Well, I still possess an original copy of Wasteland on 5.25" floppies...(for an Apple II, which I do not possess)
And the last pieces of software I actually installed from 3.5" disks would be either Elite II: Frontier or Harpoon.

Vive la floppy!  The best games ever written came on such media, and you all know it :)

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »
I have one or two 5.25" floppies around here that are supposed to have a program on them for making DnD 2e encounters or some such.
Look, tiny text!