Author Topic: GUN RANGE!?! OH NOES!!!  (Read 7304 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
GUN RANGE!?! OH NOES!!!
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:13:29 AM »
I love this state, a state where manufacture of guns was it's mainstay and still has gun manufacturers working here. The news just came over with a story from Waterbury. Somone has gotten zoning approval to put a gun range in the basement of a building right next to a SCHOOL. OH MY GOD!! The uproar is laughable at best. They're worried about stray bullets (out of an underground range) and "guns being so close to school property" the horror...

Big rally at the school at 10 am if you want to go. Wish I could.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/rally-against-gun-range-near-waterbury-school
Avoid cliches like the plague!

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: GUN RANGE!?! OH NOES!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:20:59 AM »
and properties next to schools used to hold their values so well!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:37:05 AM »
I lived in a house next to a cemetary for a while. My neighbors on that side were very quiet and never complained about a thing.  :lol:

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:09 AM »
When I was in JR High in the late 80's in MI, the school had an underground rimfire range. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:39:51 AM »
In the '70s we used to walk through my high school with .22LR rifles, out the back door and across the RR tracks behind the school, and then about a 100 yards down the road on the other side of the tracks to get to the gun range we used.  The range is still there.  The school, sadly, is not.
To the OP, the idiocy of anti-gunners can be amazing, no?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »
If it's Waterbury, how will residents tell the difference?

There is an old disused underground range at the Worcester, MA armory/museum that I've always wished they would put back in service.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:56:44 AM »
When I was in JR High in the late 80's in MI, the school had an underground rimfire range. 

When I took my hunters safety course in HS (in WI), it was in an elementary school, and they had a 22LR range setup in the basement gym/cafeteria....my how things have changed...

When I finally get a house, I'm making sure I have a range in my basement.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:16:41 AM »
Unfortunately, they just closed the range in the basement of a Sheboygan school last fall thanks to lead levels that were a little too high, and  the administration wasn't willing to spend the money to upgrade the ventilation system.  =(
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:26:10 AM »
Unfortunately, they just closed the range in the basement of a Sheboygan school last fall thanks to lead levels that were a little too high, and  the administration wasn't willing to spend the money to upgrade the ventilation system.  =(

Did anyone consider raffles, car washes, bake sales or donations?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
Loomis Chaffe School (very high brow) recently discontinued their rifle team becasue they couldn't find a replacement instructor with the quals. I suspect there were some who did their best to quell replacing him anyways. The kids used to always be there finishing up when I went in to open the range to the public. Some of them kids were very good shots. I miss em...  =(

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:09:45 AM »
Couple of years ago, they found a bunch of old rifles in the basement of my old high school. IIRC, old rolling block rifles. Used to be that riflemanship was mandatory for school boys back in the days...atleast at my school. I have NO idea where they practiced, considering that the school moved in the 60s, from smack in the middle of town, to just on the edge of town (which is really only a short walk away, but still)...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
Probably shooting into an ice bank.  :angel:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
Count me as another who shot at the school's indoor range. This was in the 1960's, though. By the 1970's it was gone.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »

I saw an article about this. In fact, a member of the board of education pointed out that one of Waterbury's high schools has a rifle team ... and they have a range in the basement of the school.

Meanwhile, on my corner of the universe, I wanted to teach an NRA "Personal Defense in the Home" class through the local adult education program. I knew live firearms was a non-starter but I asked about inert (blue) training guns. I expected a slam dunk.

Wrong. ABSOLUTELY not allowed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »
I saw an article about this. In fact, a member of the board of education pointed out that one of Waterbury's high schools has a rifle team ... and they have a range in the basement of the school.

Meanwhile, on my corner of the universe, I wanted to teach an NRA "Personal Defense in the Home" class through the local adult education program. I knew live firearms was a non-starter but I asked about inert (blue) training guns. I expected a slam dunk.

Wrong. ABSOLUTELY not allowed.
The only thing more evil than guns is people thinking they can defend themselves -- especially in their homes.  You must be a racist (I know that's a non sequitur, that is what makes it so powerful)

"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »
The only thing more evil than guns is people thinking they can defend themselves -- especially in their homes.  You must be a racist (I know that's a non sequitur, that is what makes it so powerful)

Of course self-defense is racist.....there's a chance that a minority may be injured if you defend yourself....and you're probably infringing on some person's right to happiness and other people's stuff, too....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 10:01:28 PM »
I teach Hunter Ed.  NONE of the Park Districts around here will allow us to use their facilities (Meeting/Class rooms), because of OHTHENOES!!! Guns.  Plus "You want to teach kids how to shoot Bambi !?!??!?!"

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:50:02 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »
My highschool has a .22lr range in the basement. Still in use too as far as I know, at least it was when I was in HS and I'm only 23. But I also live in the UP of Michigan.
Look, tiny text!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »
I teach Hunter Ed.  NONE of the Park Districts around here will allow us to use their facilities (Meeting/Class rooms), because of OHTHENOES!!! Guns.  Plus "You want to teach kids how to shoot Bambi !?!??!?!"

No, just Bambi's mother.  And Father.  And potential future MIL.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »
Any of you folks go to C. W. Post College of Long Island University?  When they first opened up the Post campus, there was a small underground range there which I shot in.  (Was friends with someone who had access to it.)

I wonder if it's still there, or did they "sanitize" the campus?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
I teach Hunter Ed.  NONE of the Park Districts around here will allow us to use their facilities (Meeting/Class rooms), because of OHTHENOES!!! Guns.  Plus "You want to teach kids how to shoot Bambi !?!??!?!"

Well, I guess I should appreciate the outer-ring suburb where my gun club is located. Their Parks N. Rec department actually OFFERS the hunters safety education class, and some of our club members are the instructors, and work with us for the field/range safety day.

I suspect it's a product of 1/2 of our club's members being savvy and ingratiating themselves to the city, and 1/2 this particular city not exactly being a haven of Leftist PC BS...
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
Heh, so I posted a few comments over at the TV station comment thing and one of them went something like, "My guns have never killed anybody. A few squirrels maybe. They were delicious."  >:D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »
I teach Hunter Ed.  NONE of the Park Districts around here will NOT allow us to use their facilities (Meeting/Class rooms), because of OHTHENOES!!! Guns.

Double negative. Your statement does not say what I think you intended it to say.

Good thing you teach hunters' ed rather than English composition.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
Yeah, so do they call the cops on you if you don't teach the class in their building?  =D
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »
Double negative. Your statement does not say what I think you intended it to say.

Good thing you teach hunters' ed rather than English composition.

I had it right the first time (see roo_ster quote), then I changed it when I re-read it, because I missed the "None".  Changed it back.

I'll let C&SD continue to teach English Comp..... ;) =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.