Author Topic: Should I buy a Ruger LCR?  (Read 4987 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Should I buy a Ruger LCR?
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
The local Cabela's ad arrived yesterday.  Ruger LCRs are going for $ 40 off.  The typical local price for the base .38 model is $ 449-469.  I have admired them for a while.  I have no need for a new snub nose revolver.  I already have about six Ruger, Taurus and S&W snubbys and I only carry one at a time.   I must have nine or so semi-automatics.   

Should I buy one even though I don't need it?  I can easily afford it. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
Re: Should I buy a Ruger LCR?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
Buy it for me.  I'll PM my address. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
They are nice small guns.  The only fault I have is the slide doesn't lock back on last shot, although it can be manually locked back.
They are snappy to shoot and have rudimentary sights, and are only good for close-up self defense.  BUT OTOH they are probably about as easy to conceal as a gun can be made. 
You may find a use for it even though you don't think you will.
I do have one, though I like the Sig P 238 better.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »
They are nice small guns.  The only fault I have is the slide doesn't lock back on last shot, although it can be manually locked back.
They are snappy to shoot and have rudimentary sights, and are only good for close-up self defense.  BUT OTOH they are probably about as easy to conceal as a gun can be made. 
You may find a use for it even though you don't think you will.
I do have one, though I like the Sig P 238 better.

TG, he is looking to purchase an LCR not an LCP.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
:facepalm:  Well, Oooooooooooops!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »

see that, he hasn't even bought one yet, and already there's a problem...........i always have to think about it myself with their letter designation system. 

make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
If you are just looking at the .38 model, make sure that the SW642 isn't cheaper.

Around Central OH, the LCR .38 is $399, and the LCR .357 is $419.

The SW642 .38 is going about $369.

PS - Screw Grampster, I'll take one!  =D

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
The local Cabela's ad arrived yesterday.  Ruger LCRs are going for $ 40 off.  The typical local price for the base .38 model is $ 449-469.  I have admired them for a while.  I have no need for a new snub nose revolver.  I already have about six Ruger, Taurus and S&W snubbys and I only carry one at a time.   I must have nine or so semi-automatics.    

Should I buy one even though I don't need it?  I can easily afford it.  

Really simple question. Do you want it or the $400 more?

Given the fact you are questioning, it's probably not that attractive to you yet. Buy more ammo. ;)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »
If you are just looking at the .38 model, make sure that the SW642 isn't cheaper.

The SW642 .38 is going about $369

Same around here, but the LCR .357s are hard to find around here and are priced a lot higher than that.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
I tried out the polymer framed S&W offering.

Unless you're already a huge ultra-light snubbie fan, I seriously suggest you rent/beg/borrow to try one out first.

It's not even an issue of the recoil, which the polymer mitigates, it's trying to maintain a decent sight picture with that really light weight and the DAO trigger pull is extremely difficult.

If you've already held it, dry fired it, or just a snubbie aficionado in general and have the range time with them, please disregard.  =)

For me, the ability to carry 7 rounds or so of 9mm that's ballistically in the same ballpark, sometimes better than the five .38's or even .357's out of such a short barrel with a little cylinder gap loss too, in a flatter package, with rapid magazine reloads just leaves snubbies making no sense to me anymore.

Unless you don't want to leave shell casings behind.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 04:16:22 PM »
^^^ If I buy it, it will be my bicycling handgun that I carry with me on the bikes.  For that purpose, I like the simplicity of a revolver, light weight and corrosion resistance.  I currently use one of my Taurus titanium snubbies for this, but the LCR is even lighter.   And with five shots of Speer Gold Dot short barrel JHPs, plus a reload, I don't feel undergunned as I pedal the highways and byways.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »

The SW642 .38 is going about $369.

PS - Screw Grampster, I'll take one!  =D

I already have both the 638 and 642.  What can I say, I like snubbies.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
^^^ If I buy it, it will be my bicycling handgun that I carry with me on the bikes.  For that purpose, I like the simplicity of a revolver, light weight and corrosion resistance.  I currently use one of my Taurus titanium snubbies for this, but the LCR is even lighter.   And with five shots of Speer Gold Dot short barrel JHPs, plus a reload, I don't feel undergunned as I pedal the highways and byways.

Ah. Now I remember. The Ti Taurus. I had half a memory that you were a lightweight revolvler guy already but weren't certain. Which is why I hedged my bets. For cycling or running, I agree, weight is everything. It's going to bounce rub on your body a bazillion times, so that kind of activity really pushes those attributes to the top of the priorities list.

Although I do think my caveats are important for someone who's going out and looking for a first/new compact carry piece. Hittability with a polymer snubbie on anything other than gut-shots is rather low, unless you're really willing to invest the time, or already have that experience under your belt.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »

Same reason I got my Taurus Titanium .357mag (17oz).  Mine got dunked a month back in the river, along with my person.

If I had to do it again, I would go with the S&W .38spl Airweight (15oz) or the lighter $candium job (11oz to 13oz).  The availability of the hot/penetrative Buffalo Bore .38spl loads almost makes .357mag in a snubby unnecessary.  (I wanted it to be able to penetrate 4-legged critters, too.)

Looks like the Ruger LCR is as light as 13oz for the .38spl and 17oz for the .357mag.  Looks like the .38spl might get you lighter, but not the .357mag.

Here's a thought:
Sell the Taurus and one of the S&W snubbies, add some $$ and buy the 11oz S&W 340PD.  You'll still end up with two snubbies (638 or 642 and 340PD).

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
The local Cabela's ad arrived yesterday.  Ruger LCRs are going for $ 40 off.  The typical local price for the base .38 model is $ 449-469.  I have admired them for a while. 

If I ever upgrade the Taurus 605, it would probably be to an LCR.  (What I would gain, mostly, would be the prospect of a better customer service experience, should that ever be needed.  So far, it has worked fine over many hundreds of rounds.)

I have no need for a new snub nose revolver.  I already have about six Ruger, Taurus and S&W snubbys and I only carry one at a time.   I must have nine or so semi-automatics.   

Should I buy one even though I don't need it?  I can easily afford it. 

Should you?  Sell some excess, maybe?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 12:15:17 AM »
I have one, in .38Spl, with Crimson Trace grips.

Brutal DAO trigger.  (Watch the dancing Red Dot boys and girls !!!)

"Snappy" is not quite the word to describe the recoil.  Harsh, Mean, Bitter, Rough; that pretty well covers it.   

Want to buy mine?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 05:00:57 AM »
Scout and I agree.  I did a comparison of both the .38 Bodyguard and the LCR.  With the same ammo, the BG seemed to be less unpleasant to shoot, by a considerable amount.  This surprised me greatly, since the grips on the LCR were larger and felt "better".  Until the shot went off.

"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:56:51 AM »
You guys whining about DA triggers should spend less time thumbcocking revolvers and more time on your DA work.  :P

I've fondled the LCRs (I kind of want the 22lr).  Light weight, good trigger, and feels good in the hand.  They're also inexpensive should you crash and damage yours (unlike an Airlite at nearly 2x the price).  I've carried an Airweight for 7 years myself, which is the main reason I haven't sprung for an LCR 38. 

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
I have one, in .38Spl, with Crimson Trace grips.

Brutal DAO trigger.  (Watch the dancing Red Dot boys and girls !!!)

"Snappy" is not quite the word to describe the recoil.  Harsh, Mean, Bitter, Rough; that pretty well covers it.   

Want to buy mine?
Scout and I agree.  I did a comparison of both the .38 Bodyguard and the LCR.  With the same ammo, the BG seemed to be less unpleasant to shoot, by a considerable amount.  This surprised me greatly, since the grips on the LCR were larger and felt "better".  Until the shot went off.

I had a chance to shoot a cylinder full of factory 125 grain .357 Magnum through an LCR 357.  Not bad.  Percieved recoil was about like shooting .357 through my steel 605 -- not something I want to do much, but not something I'd shy away from doing if necessary.

is the 4 oz difference (between the .38 and .357 models) that significant?

Want to buy mine?

How much?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »
I've got a stainless snubby S&W in 357 (642?) that is nearly painful to shoot with 357 ammo.  Do you know if the LCR 357 is any better?

That S&W and my 38 Airweight both are good handling guns and shoot well with 38 ammo.  IMO, they are pretty accurate for short barreled revolvers.  I've got a larger snubby 357 that I shoot much worse than these.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »
I have a strong suspicion that what the polymer revolvers lack in mass/weight for recoil control, they make up in flex, and with poor shock transmission through the lower density polymer.

Scout's complaints about the DA pull married with the light weight, and a laser showing you just how much it affects POA mirror mine.

But actual firing, I found it to be better than my SP-101 which, going off of weight, ought to be the recoil king.
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »
I've shot the  .357Mag LCR. With  .38Spl, it's great. Superb trigger & recoil control. In  .357Mag, it's like taking an aluminum baseball bat & swinging it full power hitting a steel girder....not a pleasant experience. But I still hit my target.

The LCR is on my wish list....esp. if the make a 4" barrel  .22lr.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
I have shot the .38 but not the .357 LCR.  I thought it had a nice trigger pull and fairly good recoil absorption.  You definitely do not want to short stroke the trigger since it needs a full reset. The easiest snubby I have to shoot is my 2.75" Security Six, although that is pushing the definition of a snubby.  My .357 2.25" SP-101s, I could shoot all day with full power loads. Too heavy for anything but belt carry in a good holster, though.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »
I've shot the  .357Mag LCR. With  .38Spl, it's great. Superb trigger & recoil control. In  .357Mag, it's like taking an aluminum baseball bat & swinging it full power hitting a steel girder....not a pleasant experience. But I still hit my target.

The LCR is on my wish list....esp. if the make a 4" barrel  .22lr.....

Okay, that sounds a lot like shooting 357 in my S&W J-frame. 

My larger frame S&W revolvers are a pleasure to shoot IMO.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »

How much?

Whatever book is. Less then 30 rounds through it.  I've also got bullets, brass, ammo, and .38 dies for it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.