Author Topic: Audiophiles: There is no replacement for displacement...  (Read 4931 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Audiophiles: There is no replacement for displacement...
« on: August 03, 2006, 05:53:10 PM »
As of late, I've been acquiring a few "pro" amps...

Campers, if they don't have to have your amp(s) in the same room with your speakers, lemme tell you something... Headroom is GOOD. Fans in the closet don't bother me.

Bogie's Bunker is now running:

Sony SACD

Denon 2803

Hafler DH-225 (bridged for center channel)

Hafler P230 (sides)

Hafler P230 (rear)

Behringer FBQ3102 31 band stereo equalizer with subwoofer output
Hafler DH-500 (fronts)
Crown XLS402 (front subs)

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (used as parametric EQ for LFE signal)
Crown XLS602 (LFE subs)

Speakers are a set of Infinity Entras (and lemme tell you, EQing the fronts made a WORLD of difference... Kept A/Bing between 'em and my maggies).

Subs are dual Dayton Quatro 15s in 5.5 cube 18.5 tuned ported sonotubes (soon to be transplanted into 12 cubic foot 21hz tuned box), and a 0.9Q sealed Quatro 15 under each of the mains... The higher Q integrated nicely with the Infinity speaks... Everything sounds clear. What should be thumpy is thumpy, with nice tight bass... I thought it'd get boomy with the 1.75 cube (vs. 3 cubes upstairs) box, but everything's cool.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 05:58:58 PM »
So, NPR sounds good on your radio, then?  

I got this great radio at a yard sale last weekend.  One dollar, no joke.  I can listen to radio preachers on it, and it has a clock.  Beat that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 03:32:35 AM »
I can make the radio preachers think that the second coming has arrived, and it'll vibrate the clock off the bookshelf.

We _really_ need to have an APS get-together here in St. Louis...
Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 04:18:36 AM »
Guess that puts my 125W 1977 Sansui 9090BD with the tag sale speaker set up I got all to shame. But I'll bet I can rattle the clock off the shelf too, just not in such a technologically advanced manner. Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 04:34:51 AM »
All that to listen to Al Franken on Air America.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:38:02 AM »
Hah, you'll never hear that butthole on MY stuff. Cheesy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 06:03:59 AM »
Al Franken on a system like that??  What, you want him to damage all of that expensive equipment or something?

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 06:14:15 AM »
1978 Sansui G9000DB with big-ass 1984 Klipsch Cornwalls: the audio equivalent of a muscle car!

Yes, yes -- sound is GOOD!  Smiley
Zeke

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 06:19:08 AM »
I'm jealous. My college student lifestyle does not permit me a speaker system; I'm stuck with headphones.

Whenever I see something like this, I'm reminded of how I'm in the wrong business. Note the price.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=2
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 07:07:32 AM »
I got this great radio at a yard sale last weekend.  One dollar, no joke.  I can listen to radio preachers on it, and it has a clock.  Beat that.
I got one in the garage that's still working even after the cat pee'd on it and I accidently set it on fire with the cutting torch. Well, it kinda works. You can't really tell if the first number is a '3' or an '8', and the sound is oddly kazoo-like. After a couple of beers, though, it smooths right out.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 07:13:56 AM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
I got one in the garage that's still working even after the cat pee'd on it and I accidently set it on fire with the cutting torch. Well, it kinda works. You can't really tell if the first number is a '3' or an '8', and the sound is oddly kazoo-like. After a couple of beers, though, it smooths right out.

Brad
Hey we had the same stereo in the basement of my fraternity house, I always wondered what happened to it when we placed in on the curb.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 08:58:04 PM »
Hmpff... One might notice that a fair amount of the amps I love were built back in the eighties... Big heavy solid state honkers...

In my bedroom, I've got a Marantz 2230 (blue lights rule) with a pair of Infinity SM120 speaks...

Sex and the 1812 Overture...
Blog under construction

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:26:27 PM »
I can take my Sony Walkman , with cassette player, and use it anywhere, and the headphones work with my laptop too.

My AM radio, I only paid $4 for it brand new, I get "Imagination Theartre" on it Sunday Mornings when I feel like being simple, even has the one ear plug dealie.

One of these days, going to rig up another Crystal Radio...

I used to have Klipsh, orginated here, about 2hrs from where I sit. Had Cerwin Vegas too...
I get older, I like less stuff to vacuum around and dust.

Don't own a TV either.

*grin*

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 04:42:03 AM »
I've been using the same clock radio since high school - at least 22 years. It has to stay on the same volume setting. If I even touch the volume knob, it explodes with static.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 09:46:45 AM »
If I even touch the volume knob, it explodes with static.
That's just dirty contacts. Turn it off, then take the knob and spin it stop to stop a bunch of times. The easiest way is to use the side of your hand and run it back and forth. It will work through the corrosion on the contacts.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 12:01:48 PM »
...so are you guys saying that I should rescue my old Kenwood 80 watt per channel amp that I got in 1978?   It still has some value?  It's sitting somewhere in my dad's garage back in TN, and I remember it produced the clearest, most amazing sound when paired with my old Altec Lansing speakers.  Turn it on, and it took a second or two before the lights and meters would come on...tube amp? ...solid state??? I have no idea.

Also, Bogie, you mentioned at one point those little BestBuy gems for $45/pr. coupled with some Sub for $150 or so... would that get me a bargain basement system that I could use for home theater/ AV entertainment?  I'm sorry, but it's been nearly 30 years since I had the bug (5 yr or so subscription to Stereo Review), and I'd have to call myself a novice again at this point, with all the advancement since then.  It would be nice/interesting/fun to resurrect the old days.  

...I recall vividly  "an experience" with the then-top of the line Klipsch speakers, Onkyo receiver, some preamp, and the Alan Parsons Project "I Robot" album...(yes, kids--ALBUM).  
...quite colorful, quite...mind expanding.  cool

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 12:30:06 PM »
That's just dirty contacts. Turn it off, then take the knob and spin it stop to stop a bunch of times. The easiest way is to use the side of your hand and run it back and forth. It will work through the corrosion on the contacts.
I do that, and it works - for about a day. What I really need is to take it all apart, but it's probably built from disposable, non-serviceable parts.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 02:59:22 PM »
The big ol' receivers and amps rule... They may "only" say 80 watts, but they'll do that all day long... The new crap is rated differently...

The little Insignia speaks are going for about $40/pair, and ain't bad for the money. Three pairs of 'em (fronts, sides, rear and center) along with a Parts Express Dayton 10 or Dayton 12 subwoofer, with your choice of  6.1 capable receiver and DVD player, should be a LOT better than $1,500 worth of Bose...

Speaks: $120
Sub: $150
DVD: $50
AVR: $200
Blog under construction

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 03:56:18 PM »
.I recall vividly  "an experience" with the then-top of the line Klipsch speakers, Onkyo receiver, some preamp, and the Alan Parsons Project "I Robot" album...(yes, kids--ALBUM).
...quite colorful, quite...mind expanding.
*somewhere* between Nashville and Memhis TN...

I was the decoy in a Muscle Car, Yellow, Black Racing Stripes, Hurst shifter and Speedometer went to 160 mph.

"They" took the bait, salesrep made it to an exit, and headed to where he needed tobe  heading...Using CB's back then

"They", were serious folks, and I was too, work that Hurst and Hammer down...cruising on I40 with the speed limit being 140 mph and all...well, I was close to where needing to be , them light bars lit up in the other side of the median, well that worked in my favor. I headed down a road, and flipped that toggle, no brake lights when brakes applied, light bars in rear view going back and forth, one even come down the road where I turned off...

I'd CB'd ahead.  Parked in the shed down the way, and in the dark just followed the sound to the big barn up the road.

Klipsch Speakers , Onyo receiver, Allman Bros at the Fillmore East on the Turntable, Cranked up of course, just followed the sound.

One of them little known  " how raised  - whatcha did" , Good tunes, Good Folks, Good Food.
Why that barn even had some live bands show up from time to time...

Light bars never found that car, very few knew of that barn. Two planes had landed earlier, my lady business pard had arrived in one, with  a bunch of paint cans full of Tamales from Does in Greenville, MS. Other was another fella, in the same business, he had flown in and brought BBQ from the Rendevous in Memphis.
The Catfish was from a joint more local.

We liked good tunes, while eating good food, with good folks.

Sometimes the Klispch Speakers were outside, used at the private Skeet Fields [ 3 of them].

I miss some folks now gone - can still grin at the memories tho'.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 04:00:23 PM »
Thanks.

Can you recommend an A/V Receiver in an low to mid-level price range that would not be a significantly weak link in a system with the above-mentioned speaker setup and my Sanyo DWM-380 DVD player?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 05:10:59 PM »
What price do you consider "low- to mid-level"?

Brad
-HankB

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2006, 05:13:38 PM »
Bogie mentioned "AVR = $200" in his post.

I assume a hundred bucks either way to be low to mid.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 05:19:10 PM »
I'd look for something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-AVR-2105-7-1-Home-theater-receiver-MINT-NR_W0QQitemZ280012934876QQihZ018QQcategoryZ39793QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Stay away from Sony and, for that matter, most of the stuff sold at the boxmart stores...
Blog under construction

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 06:32:21 PM »
Thanks, Bogie.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006, 12:05:47 AM »
Fig, my '77 is solid state so I assume your '79 is too. Solid state was very new in '77.

My pots are dirty too. I tried to get the only electronics shop around to clean them for me but even though they took it after some arguement about it being "obsolete" and charged me money it was no better when I got it back. It likes to drop a channel and then I have to waggle a few knobs as described and it comes back. It has a nicer warmer tone than what you get today IMHO and with all the "displacement" I have going on it too is clear as a bell, even at low volume. The thing weighs ~40 lbs and most of that is transformer.

The best speakers I ever heard were the Altec Lansings my buddy bought. (We all bought this stuff in Japan) You could turn them up so LOUD that you ears would distort but the speakers would not.

My speaker set up theses days consists of 14 speakers ranging anywhere from the 3" Tweeter all the way up to and including a 15" and an 18" woofie. I could add more and bring it up to 22.  It's pretty good the way it is so I haven't messed with it lately.

I should stop being such a cheap so and so and go out and buy some good speakers for it. Then of course there was my other friend who bought 2 - 8 x Marshall stacks for his. shocked

Damn, now I want a Marshall amp and some stacks for my geetar. rolleyes

Smiley