Author Topic: The boss from hell  (Read 2671 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The boss from hell
« on: September 04, 2006, 11:28:38 AM »
My first job after getting out of photo school was at Vander Veen Photography.

The studio was owned by David Vander Veen, who was one of the most likeable guys I've ever met. So much so that he didn't like to have to deal with employee issues. Instead, he left that dirty deed to his girlfriend, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle brought some impressive credentials to running what would become a multi-million dollar business: she was a former model, attractive as they come, and very sexy. Plus, she'd worked previously for two years as a dental hygienist.

I suspect she learned her management skills from reading the SS training manual that her father brought with him when he and his wife moved to America from Germany after WWII.

Gabrielle was more than proud of her Germanic heritage; she regarded anyone  who wasn't German as almost sub-human. At the end of my nine-year stint there, we had a full crew of photographers, assistants, etc. I was the only one who wasn't German, a fact that she took no small pleasure reminding me of.

As manager of the studio, it was part of my job to interview and recommend job applicants. Once I was interviewing a photographer who had worked extensively for National Geographic in Israel. That's a pretty hefty resume.

She walked into the room, looked at him, then waved me into her office.

"No n*ggers, no sp*cs, no Jews," she said. There was no emotion in her voice, no inflection, nothing. Just "no."

Gabrielle wanted to help keep the world populated with Germans by having children of her own.

To his credit, David thought it might be a good idea to test her child-rearing abilities by getting her a dog. It was a yippy little Yorkshire Terrier. It didn't take long before everyone hated that little ankle-biter.

Let's just say that dog-training wasn't one of her strong suits. I once saw her throw the dog into a snowbank. When I asked why she did that, she said that she didn't want the dog to grow up to be a sissy.

If they went to the movies, Gabrielle would either lock the dog in the car  trunk, or just stuff it in her purse.

Apparently, dog-throwing and such fell within David's definition of good mothering skills. They got married.

The marriage sealed David's fate, my fate, and the fate of the entire business, much like Hitler becoming Chancellor.

It was only a week or so after the wedding that she said to me, and very coldly, "this is my studio now, and I'm going to run it my way."

Then came the proud day when she announced that there was going to be a little Nazi coming in nine months.

The first step was to hire a nanny, as Gabrielle didn't want to deal with things like changing diapers or feeding the kid. You know, all that motherhood stuff.

The nanny was--surprise!--an older German woman, Doris, who had grown up in Berlin in the 1930's and 1940's. She had a glass eye, but I could never remember whether it was the right or the left, which made me uncomfortable when talking to her: was she looking at me, or at the ceiling?

One of Doris's first tasks was to teach little Adam to speak German. I tried to assist in that effort as often as possible by teaching him German swear words.

Sometime in the early 1980's, one of the TV networks ran a mini-series on Hitler. It was a popular topic of conversation in the employee lunchroom.

But not for Doris. Upon listening to our lunch table discussions, she said, "Everybody in Europe hated the Jews. At least Hitler had the courage to do something about it."

I was shocked, but I didn't say anything.

And certainly not to Gabrielle.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:16:16 AM by Monkeyleg »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 11:30:02 AM »
In late 1980, through a combination of luck, timing, and---to David's eternal credit--the recognition of a potential gold mine, we did some testing for what was then a small discount department store chain called ShopKo.

ShopKo wanted to take on the Target stores in WI. They also wanted their advertising to be on the same quality level as Target's.

Other studios tried, but failed. We delivered. Vander Veen Photography got what would become one of the most profitable accounts in WI advertising history.

Shopko's growth was phenomenal. And, with it, so was the growth of the volume of work going to Vander Veen Photography.

Vander Veen's annual revenues went from about $175,000 in 1978 to several millions of dollars when I was fired in 1987. And a goodly chunk of the profits went to David and Gabrielle.

Somewhere along the line, Gabrielle got the idea that it was her business acumen--learned, undboubtedly, from her modeling school experience, as well as her expertise at cleaning teeth--that had brought them such good fortune. (I'm reminded of economist John Kenneth Galbraith's quote: "Nothing so gives the illusion of intelligence as the close personal association with large sums of money").

And it was at that point that she decided that it was time to crack the whip even harder on "my guys."

I still call them "my guys," because I interviewed them, assessed their skills, recommended those who would pass Gabrielle's German-loyalty test, trained them, and--at least twice a week--defended them against whatever charges Gabrielle's paranoia dredged up.

By 1984 or so, the Vander Veen operation was a self-running machine. David and Gabrielle could have vacationed 364 days a year; it wouldn't have mattered.

The merchandise to be photographed came in, the layouts came in, the people who logged the merchandise and layouts logged them, "my guys" grabbed what needed to be shot, and the shots went out. It was rare for a photo to need to be re-shot, and we always came in either ahead of schedule, or right on time.

No other studio in town was as efficient, which was why ShopKo gave us the majority of their work.

Because no other studio could beat us on quality or efficiency, they had to go after us on price.

And that's when I realized that Gabrielle had no grasp of not only simple math, but of business.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 11:31:25 AM »
The other studio--AK--offered to charge just 80% of what Vander Veen's were charging.

One evening, Gabrielle called me to discuss the problem.

"AK is saying that they'll drop their price to 80% of ours. How many more shots would we have to do to keep our current income level?"

"25%," I said.

"But, but," she stammered, "they're going to cut our price by 1/5th. Don't we have to do 20% more shots?"

"No," I said. "We only need to do 25% more. And we can do that easily. We can do 25% more without even adding more photographers. We can already outshoot AK without breaking a sweat."

I spent nearly an hour trying to explain to her percentages, not to mention our capability.

She didn't believe me, and went to their high-priced accountant the next day.

Damn, I wish I'd charged her the same $$$ for what he told her.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 11:32:42 AM »
Once Gabrielle took charge of the studio following the marriage, it was probably the most fascist company I've ever worked for.

Think I'm kidding?

Normal quitting time was 5 pm. However, you were not to leave the studio until you said, "Good night, Gabrielle." If you walked out the door at 5 and didn't say goodnight, the next morning you were called into her office, and you got your "wedding tackle" (thanks, LawDog, for the term) handed to you.

Up until 1984, all of the employees got paid every two weeks.

On December 31, 1983, she announced that she was tired of writing paychecks every two weeks. From then on, employees would be paid once a month.

Well, that meant that "my guys" just got a two-week paycheck that now had to last them a month.

I spent a full eight hours on New Year's Eve day trying to explain to them that the guys couldn't afford to lose two weeks of pay. I talked to her, I wrote things down on paper, I pulled out a calculator...didn't matter.

The guys lost two weeks of pay.

At least I tried.

Gabrille didn't like giving up the money, either. When payday came around, she'd sit on the phone with her mother for hours. Didn't matter if you were waiting there at 5 pm for your paycheck. You waited until she got off the phone. Sometimes as late as 8 pm. Or you waited until the next day.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 11:34:16 AM »
The studio was located in what was a combination former city hall/fire department building on Milwaukee's North side. The back lot was also where the city dumped piles of salt for the winter snow and ice.

The combination of tons of salt and Cream City brick is an invitation to degradation. The brick becomes so soft that it's more chewable than the breakfast biscuits from McDonalds.

Gabrielle must have been reading through one of those "Better Concentration Camps and Gas Chambers" magazines when she saw a pictorial showing how some couple had the brick walls of their home sand-blasted to remove the paint.

I'm sure that the effect was attractive for a red-brick home, but not for Cream City brick.

Problem was, before we could even sand-blast the McDonalds bricks, we had to get rid of what used to be either a large jail cell or a concrete bunker. I'm not joking: the walls were two-foot thick concrete, and steel reinforced.

Picture photographers however you will: the fact was, we were by no means capable of wielding jack-hammers and air-driven pick hammers for two solid weeks. We were the sorriest bunch of demolition "experts" you would imagine even in your worst home-remodeling nightmares.

After two weeks of us destroying whatever the chamber was, David and Gabrielle brought in the professionals to cart out all the pieces.

And then we started sand-blasting the McDonalds biscui---sorry, the Cream City brick.  

For another two weeks, we used industrial-strength sand-blasting gear to remove the paint from the walls on the first floor of the studio.

When we finished, we were literally standing knee-deep in sand and debris. I had to snake out the trap in my shower at home, because it was filled with the junk.

David and Gabrielle had to bring in one of those full-size semi trucks with the vacuum gear to clear it out.

We had tried to protect all of the photo equipment, but every lens, every shutter, and every other piece of gear had been infiltrated by sand.

And, after all that, what did Gabrielle decide?

She didn't like the look. She told us to paint the walls.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 11:35:50 AM »
In an earlier post, I made reference to Gabrielle's paranoia.

That wasn't psychobable, it was very real.

She was one of those people who think that others are laughing at them. In her case, she had very good reason to believe that.

Sometime around '84 or so, she gave me the task of having a full phone/intercom/PA system installed at the studio.

I did my due diligence, and got the studio the best deal I could find.

It was also about that time that greeting card companies started putting musical chips in some of their cards.

Using an Exacto knife, I cut out the chip and the "trigger" from a Mothers Day card. When she was out of the office one day, I planted the chip and the trigger under her phone. Whenever she would pick up the phone, the chip softly sang, "Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home..."

After a couple of times of hearing this, she called me into her office.

"Dick, there's a problem with the phones. Everytime I talk, I hear music. Fix it."

I agreed that this was unacceptable, that I would find out what the problem was, and have it fixed immediatley. I also gave her a snappy salute.

And I moved the musical chip to David's chair, so that whenever he sat down, he was reminded that there was no place like home.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 11:36:57 AM »
Across the street from Vander Veen's studio was a shot-and-a-beer place called "Uncle Jim's."

Uncle Jim was one of those gravel-voiced ex-fighters who'd been punched in the throat one too many times.

He was also, well, not exactly bright. I think he took a few too many punches to the head as well.

But he was, by all accounts, a good and decent man.

One evening, after wrestling with Gabrielle over how to divide $125 by 5, I stopped in for a beer.

Bob Hope was on the TV, on an aircraft carrier, doing one of his memorable shows for the troops.

It was about then that The Village People came out on the deck.

Jim looked at them and said, "hey, look at that! They gotta cop, a sailor, a construction guy, a cowboy...now that's American!"

"Jim," I said. "They're gay."

"What?

"Jim, those guys are all gay. You know, homosexuals, fags, whatever."

"What the *)*%)*% are you saying?!! Bob Hope doesn't have queers on his shows."

OK, Jim, Whatever.

All of this is prelude to the evening that Gabrielle decided to grace the guys with her presence. I have no idea what gave birth to her idea that she could just hang out with the guys; after all, it was Friday night at Uncle Jim's that was the time to bitch about her.

All down the line, the guys said "Miller," or "PBR," or "whiskey."

When Uncle Jim got to Gabrielle, she said "a Brandy old-fashioned. Sweet, please."

It only took seconds for his nose hairs to get tangled up in her latest salon-hair-styling-goo.

And, with no doubt the nastiest of breath, he bellowed, "what the **** do you think this is? A ******** nightclub?"

I remember some yellow water on the floor that night, although I can't say with certainty that Gabrielle had finally met her match with Uncle Jim.

All I know is that I wished I could talk to Gabrielle like that.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »
Once Gabrielle had convinced herself that she was a wizard at business, it was only a matter of time before she pronounced herself an expert at photography.

Until that point, it had been my job to review the shots done each day by the crew, reject any that weren't up to snuff, and mark the best exposures before sending the sheets of film to Shopko.

Granted, I resented her usurping my authority in that area. But she had crossed the line: she was essentially telling the crew that she knew more about their jobs than they did. And we had the best photographers in the state.

Every ShopKo job had at least a few pages of jewelry. And I was the only photographer at the studio with the patience to move the rhinestone ring 1/16" to the left, use tweezers to adjust the curve of the 9 carat golden necklaces, use a magnifier to look for dust, and not take a shotgun to the set when all of the rings fell over, which they often did.

I remember in particular one shot that involved many pieces of "jewelry" (I use the term loosely, as "jewelry" to me means something that costs more than $4.99).

The background was gray velvet.

The shot took me half a day. And Gabrielle rejected it, saying it looked out of focus.

It wasn't, but I re-shot it.

And she rejected it again, saying that it looked "soft."

At that point, I pulled out the 8X magnifier, and showed her that every single piece of jewelry was tack-sharp. You could even see the weave of the fabric.

"I don't care," she said. "It still looks soft."

"Gabrielle, " I replied, with no small amount of restraint, "it's velvet! It's supposed to look soft!!!"

"I don't care. Shoot it again."

And so I did, for the third time.

And she rejected it.

About a decade earlier, I had an experience with a big guy, construction worker type, who got it into his head somehow that I was going to be his "boy toy." I pulled a hand-sharpened 13" switchblade from my boot, put it to his throat, and made it crystal clear that he would either let me out of his car, or I would cut him from ear to ear. He pulled over, and let me out of the car. With apologies, no less.

That's the closest I've ever come to killing someone.

The second-closest time I've come to killing someone was when Gabrielle rejected my gray velvet jewelry shot for the fourth time.

As she turned away from me, I started to move toward one of the chairs. My hand started to grab the chair, as I envisioned beating her head to a pulp.

I don't remember all of the left-brain, right-brain stuff. All I know is that some part of my brain said, "Dick, don't do it. It's not worth fifty years."

I forget who it was that said, "Discretion is the better part of valor." Whoever it was, though, must have known Gabrielle.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:39:56 AM »
With her expertise in math, business and photography firmly established in her head, Gabrielle eventually reached the conclusion that she didn't need David.

She would routinely berate him in front of the guys, and sometimes about things that were very personal. It was embarassing to witness.

Granted, David sometimes did things that were funny, at least at the time. He was a big guy--about 6'3" and 250 pounds or so. And, thus, he wasn't very agile.

Once, while up in the attic, he slipped off of one of the ceiling joists, and went through the plaster, right into Gabrielle's office.

Still, he didn't deserve the treatment she gave him. But he put up with it, although I don't know why.

I was canned, as I said, in 1987. It was only a few more years after that David decided enough was enough.

The divorce put Gabrielle completely in charge of the studio, as David moved back to Chicago.

Problem for her was that, when David left, so did all of the employees. Everybody quit.

She hooked up with some has-been photographer from New York whose portfolio looked like it was from the 1970's. His work was so bad that art directors would call David in Chicago and have him explain to Gabrielle's hot-shot photographer how to do the job.

With no work coming in for her New York stud, Gabrielle was forced to sell the studio.

Last I heard, she was selling life insurance.

And, last I heard, she was on her fourth marriage.

trapperready

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 12:03:14 PM »
Monkeyleg - Thanks for the laughs. I'd type more, but my sides hurt.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
The boss from hell
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 12:23:40 PM »
Personally I'm picturing some svelte blonde babe in one of those single piece black shiny rubber things with spike heels and a whip. How 'bout you? Cheesy

Did she have a swastika tattooed on her forehead?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Iain

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 12:30:45 PM »
I enjoyed that too.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

mfree

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 12:42:33 PM »
The perfect revenge would be to convince David to call Gabrielle one day and carefully explain his hidden Jewish heritage.

trapperready

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 12:46:48 PM »
The perfect revenge would be to convince David to call Gabrielle one day and carefully explain her hidden Jewish heritage.
Fixed it for you.

mfree

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 12:50:19 PM »
Nah, when you play off hidden fears you don't pick something that can be easily psychologicaly deniable. Use something that can always remain in doubt Smiley

She'll feel dirty for YEARS....

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »
280plus, pretty much every guy who worked at the studio had fantasies about her. Now, as for actually wanting to have anything personal to do with her, that's another matter.

There was so much anxiety-producing stuff that went on that there isn't room here to write about it all.

Honest to God, for seven years after I left the place, I had at least a nightmare a week about it. I'd wake up in a cold sweat, and have to remind myself that I didn't work there anymore. A shrink told me it was post-traumatic stress syndrome. I don't mean to minimize the pain that guys who went through combat and suffer from PST are going through, but that's what it was.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
The boss from hell
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 02:11:44 PM »
Yup, proof positive pretty don't mean good. shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

doczinn

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 03:48:29 PM »
You should write a memoir. Book-length, I mean.
D. R. ZINN

Nightfall

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 08:17:53 PM »
Fun read, but damn, I really hate that woman now.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The boss from hell
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 10:52:21 AM »
Gotta ask, why did she fire you?

Your pix of the Hitler Youth Convention... er... the spawn's 5th birthday party... not turn out?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The boss from hell
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 12:19:33 PM »
Mike, it's a long story, so I'll try to be brief.

By 1987, there was a lot of friction between the guys and Gabrielle (and David), as Gabrielle was making things pretty miserable. Because I was in her office often, trying to speak for the crew, she felt that I was siding with them and not her. Fact is, I was trying to do a pretty delicate balancing act.

By that time, I'd also developed good relationships with art directors from many ad agencies, and they were asking for me, rather than David. Gabrielle and David felt that I was trying to set up my own "studio within a studio."

They thought that, if they got rid of me, morale would improve. Instead, it just got worse.

Trisha

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 12:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the memories!

. . . just kidding!
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

cosine

• Administrator
The boss from hell
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 05:25:40 PM »
Great posts Monkeyleg. You need to get a blog or something, so all your experiences you recount get recorded in one place and so are easy to find for future leisurely perusing. Smiley
Andy

Third_Rail

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »
Geeze... sounds like we have the same luck in jobs! I'm just happy I no longer work for people like that.

Trip20

• friend
The boss from hell
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 07:49:50 AM »
For your sake, Dick, I hope you're able to bump into Gabrielle and "Uncle Jim's".  I think you'd get some closure telling her off.

Or have you done so already?