Author Topic: Computer (junk) question  (Read 581 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Computer (junk) question
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
I have a walkout basement, and the end near the door and windows is always (understandably) colder in winter than the inner end. I got to thinking I'd like to set up a small fan that I could just leave running to push air from the warm end to the cold end. I rooted around in my stacks of valuable stuff and found a couple of old 4" pancake fans. They look like they may have been salvaged from the soundproof enclosures that used to be used over/around printers way back in the day when computers were programmed with punch cards.

The problem is, they have four wires coming off in a pigtail that ends in a rectangular white plastic connector, and no indications of which wire does what. The fan motors are marked 115/230 volt, 50/50 cycle. Wires are red, black, blue and yellow. If I want to wire one up to run off husehold current, can anyone suggest which two wires to connect?

Since it is for alternating current, I think I'm safe in not worrying about getting the wires reversed. The fan will only rotate one way regardless of connection. Am I okay so far?

Based on nothing more than telephone wiring usage, I'm guessing that red and black are one pair, and blue and yellow the other pair. Red & black for 115-volt, maybe?

If I can figure out which pair is for 115-volt, what would happen if I connect the 230-volt pair to 115 volts? Will the fan burn itself out in short order because it's starving for electricity, or will it run happily at half speed (which I would like, because I'd have lower velocity and less noise)?

Any help will be appreciated.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
Re: Computer (junk) question
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »
Red & black for 115-volt, maybe?

According to this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_fan for PC case fans the red is a 12 volt line and black is the ground.

If your fan is anything like a PC case fan, my guess would be that red is the 115 volt line. 

Connecting the 115 volt power to the 230 volt pair shouldn't cause any problems, I don't think, but I don't know for certain.  My experience (little that it is) with electric motors is that they don't mind too much if you under-power them, but they'll burn out real quick if you over-power them.  Yours could be built differently than the ones I'm used to, though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:50:08 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth