Author Topic: Department of the Interior and Carrying in National Parks  (Read 516 times)

ECB

Department of the Interior and Carrying in National Parks
« on: March 06, 2007, 10:02:20 AM »
**URGENT** **URGENT** **URGENT**

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) (http://www.vcdl.org/) has just learned from our sources on Capitol Hill that the Department of the Interior (DOI) is **livid** over the National Park Service's (NPS) asinine rejection letter sent to VCDL concerning VCDL's Petition for Rule Making!  See: http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/NPS_Denial_of_VCDL_PRM.pdf

That petition would allow a law-abiding citizen to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park if the state in which the park is located allows such carry. Apparently the National Park Service DID NOT CLEAR that rejection letter with their parent - the Department of the Interior!

The Department of Interior had been telling VCDL and key Congressional members that DOI would seriously consider VCDL's petition.

The ensuing NPS rejection letter made DOI look like fools and liars. DOI doesn't like that at all, and who could blame them.  The word is out that the Department of the Interior is investigating how to OVERTURN that rejection letter and soon!!!

We have an incredible opportunity to save TWO years of VCDL work and pull off a victory for all gun owners!  But we must make our voices heard LOUD AND CLEAR.

I ask all of you to do the following FOUR things NOW and URGENTLY no matter where you live, as this is a NATIONAL effort:

1.  CALL the DOI Legislative Affairs and leave a message for the Secretary of the Interior, Dirk Kempthorne. Say something like this:

"I encourage Secretary Kempthorne to implement the Virginia Citizens Defense League's Petition for Rule Making that the National Park Service has rejected out-of-hand.  Law-abiding citizens should be allowed to protect themselves and their families while visiting a National Park."

PLEASE MAKE THAT CALL - WE WANT DOI'S TELEPHONE LINE LIT UP BIG TIME!

Mr. Kempthorne's telephone number in Washington, DC is:  202-208-7351

2. Call your U.S. Senators and Congressman.  Their names, phone numbers and email addresses can be found by clicking here and entering your zip and address:

http://capwiz.com/nra/officials/congress

Say something like this:

"Please have the Senator [Congressman] contact the Department of the Interior's Secretary, Dirk Kempthorne, and ask him to overturn the National Park Service's rejection of the Virginia Citizens Defense League's Petition for Rule Making.  Law-abiding citizens should be allowed to carry a handgun to defend themselves while visiting a National Park if the state in which the park is located allows such carry!"

PLEASE MAKE THAT CALL - WE WANT CONGRESS' TELEPHONE LINES TO LIGHT UP AS BRIGHTLY AS DOI'S!

3. After calling your Senators and Congressman, follow up with an email.  Here is a sample email you can use:

Please ask the Department of the Interior's Secretary, Dirk Kempthorne, to overturn the National Park Service's arbitrary rejection of the Virginia Citizens Defense League's Petition for Rule
Making and to implement that petition!

VCDL's Petition for Rule Making, representing over ONE MILLION gun owners, would allow law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park as long as the state in which that National Park is located allows such carry.

The National Park Service's rejection letter was not only asinine, but condescending towards America's gun owners. My family member and I are given but one life each.  I ask that you
make sure that I can defend those lives while visiting a National Park!

Please let me know what you are going to do.

4. After calling and leaving a message for DOI, follow up with an email to Secretary Kempthorne:

Email address:  exsec*ios.doi.gov

Suggested email subject:  Please approve VCDL's Petition for Rule Making!

Suggested email text:

Dear Secretary Kempthorne,

I ask that you approve and implement the Virginia Citizens Defense League's (VCDL) Petition for Rule Making that would allow a law-abiding citizen to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park as long the state in which the park is located allows such carry.

The National Park Service sent a rejection letter to VCDL listing four very poor reasons for the rejection.  None of the reasons listed legitimately justifies denying a person the right to defend the only life they have been given.

The Petition, representing over ONE MILLION gun owners, was basically rejected out-of-hand.
Please let me know what the Department of the Interior is going to do regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
[YOUR NAME]
[YOUR ADDRESS]

OK, ladies and gentlemen  follow VCDLs lead. Let's ROLL!

Please spread this alert far and wide!  We need gun owners from all over the country to make this happen!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Department of the Interior and Carrying in National Parks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »

"Right to carry" doesn't protect you against wildlife.  Huh.  You'd think someone at the National Park Service would understand that...   Sigh, nevermind.  I'll drop an email though. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.