Author Topic: Ever see one of your friends' world come crashing down because of you?  (Read 3273 times)

Wedge

• friend
Well I have.  Happened this morning.  A friend of mine and myself were both applying for the same position.  I ended up getting an offer even though I would rather work for another company so I could take or leave this offer depending on what the other company says (they are still decision making, I am NOT playing them off each other I just need to hear from my first choice).  For my friend this was his dream job and they picked me over him.  So I told him that I got a call and he looked like I just ran over his dog.  I wanted to be the one to tell him instead of hearing through the grapevine that I had multiple offers and he didn't have any but I really feel like crap.  I mean, I think he would figure it out when I am on the phone with both companies all day today and they won't even return his phone calls.

Anyways, I wish he had taken the news a little better because if my first choice comes through I am going to go with them.  That probably means that he would get  a call from his dream place.

It is too late now so I figured nothing better than a little Monday morning quarterbacking...did I do the right thing to tell him right away?  I think so...though it doesn't make it any easier.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Ever see one of your friends' world come crashing down because of you?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 06:34:47 AM »
I guess it depends if you value the friendship or the job more.  Better that you told him yourself though.  If he can't deal with the fact that there are more and less qualified people out there, then he really has to learn to suck it up.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 07:02:48 AM »
He is doing better now.  I think it was shock more than anything else.

Wingshooter

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 08:42:40 AM »
I was on the other side at one time in my life.  True it wasn't easy, but I was truly happy for my buddy.  Still am today.  Friends won't let things like this get between them, it's just akward for a bit.  Give it some time and hopefully, all should be good.
Pedro offers you his protection...

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 08:44:35 AM »
mayhaps you can bring him aboard at the new gig once you have established a beachhead
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 09:19:13 AM »
I just helped him write a feeler letter for another company.  Unfortunately his communication skills aren't very good when it comes to job hunting.  Emails are a little t0o direct and too the point without the requisite enthusiasm that a potential employer is looking for.  It has happened with other things where my emails get a response and his fall pretty flat.  I hope for the best for him, and actually hoped that he would get the offer before I got the phone call, but I need something too so I can't say that I am disapointed.

Just an awkward situation.

If I go with this offer I will definitely think of him when people start asking about resumes and recommendations.  I would do that for any of my friends (well any of my friends that are good capable workers...which my buddy definitely is).

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 01:52:37 PM »
...I am NOT playing them off each other I just need to hear from my first choice...
Frankly, I think you should play them against each other to your benefit. If you don't look after your own best interests, who will: Santa Claus and his little elf buddies?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

sven

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 03:33:38 PM »
I guess it would depend on whether or not he gave you the lead, or you found the lead separately, or what.

If I was the buddy and told you I was applying, and you rushed me... well... depend on how good of a friend you were, I guess.  Wink

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 03:50:41 PM »
Standing Wolf:  Well I guess I already started playing them off each other.  We'll see what happens from it, I am not being malicious or anything and I don't want to burn any bridges because they are both great places to work and given the small world that it tends to be I don't want to be remembered as a jerk.  I'll have to see what happens since I haven't been able to get in touch with company 2 yet but company 1 knows they aren't the only game in town and they know who company 2 (competitive) is.  On a side note Santa has been pretty nice lately.

Sven:  Actually, funny story.  I applied and he kinda rushed me...it was all unintentional (applied but didn't realize it was for the same job as me and I know he wasn't trying to screw me or anything).  It is a pretty new situation for me and I probably should have expected it more since we are all students so the marketplace is a little more aggressive than it would be if I was working already.

sven

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 05:29:55 PM »
No foul, then.  Doesn't mean you are necessarily 'better' than your buddy, but maybe better for that company.  Good luck with the new gig!