Author Topic: Vietnamese Food  (Read 4823 times)

Jacobus Rex

Vietnamese Food
« on: March 06, 2005, 04:43:12 PM »
I know that we had a thread going on the old RT about Vietnamese food.  I wanted to get the discussion going again.  I've eaten a ton of Chinese food.  Everything from the usual "Chinese" buffets to Chinese food in China.  However, I've never eaten Vietnamese food.  I'm going to try it next Saturday but have no idea about the names of dishes or their pronunciation of them.

Can anybody help out?  I'm most interested in basic dishes and their pronunciation.  Any recommendations would be good!

BTW, I'm going down to Chinatown along Bellaire in Houston.  For all you Houston folks, I'm going to the Vietnamese place on the far side of the Hong Kong Mall.  Can't think of the name of it right now.

Thanks,
James

bratch

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 08:50:04 PM »
One of my friends is an exchange student from Vietnam. If you'd like I can get some reccomendations for you.  

Whats your style?

Wildalaska

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 09:27:06 PM »
Pho...pronounce Phar...beef noodle soup...

Get it with tendon and tripe...

WildyummyAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Suoiruf Selyts

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:46:28 AM »
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/bookshelf/articles/pho_SJM.htm

All about phó!

Definitely try a few different things your first time. A large bowl of soup is going to FILL you, but take the time to start out with spring rolls (Cha Gio) and/or quail (Chim Cut Ro-ti). I might not be totally sure about the Viet name of the first, as there are rolls done with transparent wrappers, as well as crunchier ones that are often dusted in crushed peanuts, The quail comes halved with a spicy dipping sauce, as well as a crunchy, pickled vegetable garnish.

Phó itself means noodle in Vietnamese. Traditional phó, or phó bac, is usually just meat, noodles, and broth. You can order it with cooked meat, raw meat, meatballs, tendon, thinly sliced "Spam," and bits of tripe. The broth is made ahead of time and spiced with a combination of flavors, some unfamiliar to the western palate. In the simplest terms, the noodles are cooked rapidly, put into the bowl, the meat is placed on the noodles, blanched bean sprouts may be added, and then boiling broth covers everything. It should come accompanied with mint and or basil, lime slices, and extra sprouts. Most people add hot sauce, hoisin sauce, perhaps vinegar, as well as a little extra fish sauce. Fish sauce tastes great, but keep the end of the bottle away from your nose until you feel really comfortable with the whole experience.

My favorite soup is one that was left over by the Cambodians who used to control the southern part of what is now the unified Vietnam. It's called bun bó hue, and is rather spicy and pungent. You definitely need to give us a "range report" after your first trip.

uvakat

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 01:49:18 PM »
Okay being vietnamese the pronounciation thing is killing me... but then again i've heard pho said in soo many different ways it doesn't matter anyways. I would say your best bet is to keep an open mind and just go and see what looks good. Most vietnamese restraunts in my experience have an english translation of what it is... But anyways keep an open mind and see what appeals to you is my only piece of advice...
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

nico

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 02:03:06 PM »
One thing to be aware of is if you don't like cilantro (I don't) make sure what you're ordering doesn't have it, or ask for them to leave it out.  I've had pho a few times and other Vietnamise food a few other times, and a lot of it has cilantro; sometimes even whole leaves.  With pho, it's not sufficient to just take the cilantro out of it once you get it because the flavor will already be in the soup and removing the leaves won't do anything.  If, on the other hand, you like cilantro, then go wild!

MaterDei

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
Pronounced 'phar'?  Are you kidding me???

This white boy says it is pronounced 'fuh' rhymes with duh.

So...who's right, uvacat?

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 03:36:49 PM »
The vietnamese restaurant with the vietnamese owners says "phuh" too.

Maybe it's a different dialect!  Wink

Penman

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »
Don't forget to order Chai Gio ("chi" as in Chinese, zhyo or just yo)

Sort of the Vietnamese version of egg rolls, wrap them in lettuce and dip in sauce.

If the menu says "com", that usually means it comes on or with rice - Com Thit Nuong (Broiled pork with rice)

"Bun" (pronounced Boone) is fine rice noodles - Bun Thit Nuong - same as above, but served on the rice noodles.

Ban Xeo (pronounced Zeo) is a great appetizer as well, it's a large, thick crepe with vegetables in it. Again, wrap a piece in lettuce and dip in the vinegared sauce.

uvakat

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 04:20:35 PM »

Ban Xeo (pronounced Zeo) is a great appetizer as well, it's a large, thick crepe with vegetables in it. Again, wrap a piece in lettuce and dip in the vinegared sauce.

umm that sounds way too good... I think i'm going out for it tomorrow Smiley

Suoiruf Selyts

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 06:48:13 PM »

umm that sounds way too good... I think i'm going out for it tomorrow Smiley

Why go out when you can do a little work and have broth for days:

Most excellent bun bó hue feast today!

Jacobus Rex

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 03:36:14 AM »
Thanks for all the posts!  I'm looking forward to trying it.  I'll update y'all this weekend.

BTW, for any APSers that live near Houston, Chinatown in Houston is a great place to visit.  It has a mixed Asian population of around 250,000.  Therefore you will find hundreds of Asian food places.  It is about a 2 hour drive each way from were I live so I don't get to visit too often.

uvakat

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 05:52:05 AM »
Okay this post is making me crave Vietnamese food... I think it may be time to visit the parents for some good cooking lol

Jacobus Rex

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 07:19:47 PM »
Had a great time today.  I went to the Tay Do Vietnamese restaurant in Houston's Chinatown.  I had the Pho Dac Biet and loved it.  Their menu has good descriptions of the food and is very reasonable in price.  I tried the Pho based on the recommenations from here and don't regret it.  Thanks a lot.  I've added Vietnamese food to my list of cuisines to eat.

I got a copy of their takeout menu because it has good descriptions of common Vietnamese dishes.

Thanks,
James

Wildalaska

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 02:50:31 PM »
Phar is how my freind Ka says it but hmmm shes Hmong

WildgimmesomesoupAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

MaterDei

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 01:01:04 AM »
Glad you liked it!

Where is Tay Do?  I'd like to give it a try.  My favorite Vietnamese joint in Houston is called Cali's Sandwich Shop.  I usually get the grilled pork dishes but sometimes have a hankering for Pho.  I've never tried their sandwiches but they sure look good.

Suoiruf Selyts

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 05:31:19 AM »
My older son is here for a few days, so we're having phó at home for lunch today. I did the broth last night: six pounds of soup bones, onions, ginger, salt, sugar, and a seasoning sachet that has ground coriander, fennel, star anise, cinnamon, and cloves, as well as a one pound piece of eye round. Now I gotta go defrost the meatballs (thit bo vien gan) and begin the rest of the prep work.

You know darned well that if there were a phó shop around the corner I'd never do this much work, right?

Glad you enjoyed, Jacobus.

uvakat

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 08:52:19 AM »
Umm Selyts can I come over to your house for dinner?

Suoiruf Selyts

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 10:08:13 AM »
We made drunken chicken wings for an appetizer!

http://www.makantime.com/thai5.htm

Jacobus Rex

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »
MaterDei,

Tay Do is on Bellaire Blvd in Houston.  It is in the same shopping center as the Hong Kong Market.  It is the area of Bellaire a number of blocks from the intersection with Beltway 8.  I did a Yahoo Yellow Pages and found two but I think I went to the one at 11201 Bellaire Blvd.

BTW, MaterDei, did my response to your PM get back to you??

James

MaterDei

• friend
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 02:29:27 AM »
The PMs disappeared with the post counts.  I'm fine without the post counts, but like to be able to PM.  Am I just missing something?

Jacobus Rex

Vietnamese Food
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 07:19:17 AM »
Sorry, I should have been more specific.  I PMed you over on THR.  I'll resend just in case.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Vietnamese Food
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 06:00:06 PM »
There's a small Vietnamese restaurant just outside the gate at Kirtland AFB, NM.

They have the most wonderful soup bowls, but I can seldom finish them, the portions are huge. And those transparent spring rolls, oh my, heaven on earth!  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"