Author Topic: See the TURTLE of enormous girth!  (Read 8153 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:16:24 PM »
I found the end of the Beam yesterday, apparently.   =D

The other end with the Bear was much more interesting.  I was a bit too preoccupied at the time to get pictures, though.

His shell is about 15" from end to end.  My shoe is a bit over a foot.

Somebody or something tried to crack his shell at some point.  Big old hole in it, appears to be semi-healed, but with a cavity.  There's a second smaller crack with a rock wedged into it towards the front.

Big old earth-mover claws for digging up stuff.  He hid them when I came up to him.  No sharp beak, which I was initially concerned about while stepping around him.  He's a grass-grazer.

I went hiking on Sunday just south of Canyon Lake, in the Superstition Mountains.  I've never seen one of these before, and it was a treat.  He was a BIG specimen in comparison to what Wiki has to say on the subject.  This particular guy was about 2 miles from the lake, and 800 feet above it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »
Very nice pictures. My wife will love them.

One note: I believe he is a tortoise, not a turtle.

http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Turtle-Amphibs-Subpages/h-g-agassizii.html
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »
Yeah, he's a desert tortoise... I was borrowing from Stephen King's Dark Tower series.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »
Yeah, he's a desert tortoise... I was borrowing from Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Ah... Stephen King. There's a "literary" reference I will never recognize.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »
My wife always asks me why I keep referring to "The Beam" when going down the Interstate.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 05:31:09 PM »
What Stephen King work is this referring to? Not familiar with it myself.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
The Dark Tower series, and also It.

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
On his shell he holds the Earth.
His thought is slow but always kind;
he holds us all within his mind.

On his back all vows are made;
He sees the truth but mayn't aid.
He loves the land and loves the sea,
And even loves a child like me

See the TURTLE of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the earth.
If you want to run and play,
Come along the BEAM today.

During the final conflict with the It-beast in It, the main hero character (was his name Ben?) is flung through space and time and flies past the empty shell of the great Turtle.  During a preceding battle with It when he was younger, he spoke with it briefly.

The Turtle is named Maturin and is one of the 12 Guardians that watch over the 6 Beams that support all of creation.  The Dark Tower is located at the nexus of the six Beams.  Finding a Beam is not easily done, but Roland's quest in the Dark Tower series requires him to do so and follow a Beam to the Tower.  He finds the Beam guarded by the Turtle and the Bear.

I think there's more Turtle references elsewhere in King's work, but they all revolve around the Dark Tower as a mythological hub.
--Lysander Spooner