Author Topic: Brownshirts vs. Browncoats  (Read 2272 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Brownshirts vs. Browncoats
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:37:12 PM »
Brownshirts vs, Browncoats

http://thefire.org/article/13595.html

On September 12, 2011, Professor Miller posted on his office door an image of Nathan Fillion in Firefly and a line from an episode: "You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed." On September 16, UWS Chief of Police Lisa A. Walter emailed Miller, notifying him that she had removed the poster and that "it is unacceptable to have postings such as this that refer to killing."

Amazed that UWS could be so shockingly heavy-handed, Miller replied by email, "Respect liberty and respect my first amendment rights." Walter responded that "the poster can be interpreted as a threat by others and/or could cause those that view it to believe that you are willing/able to carry out actions similar to what is listed." Walter also threatened Miller with criminal charges: "If you choose to repost the article or something similar to it, it will be removed and you could face charges of disorderly conduct."

Miller responded by posting a poster http://thefire.org/article/13588.html that included a cartoon image of a silhouetted police officer striking a civilian. The poster mocked, "Fascism can cause blunt head trauma and/or violent death. Keep fascism away from children and pets."  UWS's "threat assessment team," in consultation with the university general counsel's office, had decided to have the poster removed, and that this poster was reasonably expected to "cause a material and/or substantial disruption of school activities and/or be constituted as a threat." College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Interim Dean Raymond Hayes scheduled a meeting with Miller about "the concerns raised by the campus threat assessment team"

I swear, a Gadsen flag is probably going to get somebody accused of trying to poison someone else.

I am guessing that Te University of Wisconsin - Stout is connected at the hip with the institution located in Madison.  It surely appears to be staffed by the same ilk.

[popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Brownshirts vs. Browncoats
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
But posting a quote from Ward Churchill or Cornel West about the inherent violence of American imperialism/capitalism/racism probably would have won the professor an award.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »
Perhaps since the fascists took down his antifascist poster, he should post a blank poster with simply "irony" written on it.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:16:10 PM »
Perhaps since the fascists took down his antifascist poster, he should post a blank poster with simply "irony" written on it.

Somehow the C-TAT (campus threat assessment team) would find something wrong with a blank poster.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:08 PM »
FIRE will kick their butts, eventually.  They always do.  Sometimes it takes a while.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
"If you choose to repost the article or something similar to it, it will be removed and you could face charges of disorderly conduct."

Are you always this sentimental ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
I saw it here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113318-University-Threatens-Criminal-Charges-Over-Firefly-Poster
It has the original poster in question.

I remember my own shock at learning the 'bastions of individualism and freedom of speech' were basically the opposites.
Quite 1984ish. 

Never underestimate incompetence.  If you find yourself tempted to think 'surely, somewhere in the loop there must be a voice of reason' remember the quality of the original bureaucratic instigator and ask if such a person could exist in that position if reason ruled the day in that establishment.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
But but but wait... leftists can't be fascists, only Hitler and W can be fascists!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 05:14:33 AM »
I want the Poster.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »
He should put the original Firefly poster back up with the correspondence from the Kampus Kops pasted over the quote. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge